Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 02 spec v, the cat has already be replaced once, now after i put on my greedy exhaust, it seems like its burning oil like mad. i just replaced the oil, added all the good stuff, oil treatment etc, but now 1400 miles later, the oil is gone, and my car is knocking at low rpms.

does any one know if its a exhaust leak, or a failed cat, or what.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
exhaust leak wouldn't cause you to burn oil. Your piston rings=gone.

you need to get a new engine via Nissan.

moving to the QR section.

(this is why I don't recommend people buy used 02's )

·
Registered
941 Posts
" ...I just replaced the oil, added all the good stuff, oil treatment etc ..."

Oil treatment? As in STP or Slick50? :confused: Then you didn't add anything that good. :p

Regardless, that's not your problem. To have lost 4+ quarts of fluid in 1,400 miles, you have some other serious problem such as a massive leak, loose oil filter or rings/cylinder walls which are completely gone ... possibly from a previous pre-cat failure.

Look carefully at the exhaust. When the car is warmed up, does the exhaust show blue smoke? The best way to see is to look at the exhaust stream on a sunny day with a dark, possibly black background.

A car burning a quart of oil in 300 miles should be putting out huge volumes of smoke, even at idle.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Yea...you have 2 options

Get new engine
Rip the head and replace the rings

Both are expensive and hopefully you are covered under warranty. No additive or treatment is going to help you :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts