Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People I need some help here....

I gotta buddy here that has a Geo Storm...he is going to stomp my ass into the ground unless I can figure out one thing...

HOW DO I DISCONNECT THE SPEED LIMITER ON MY 1991 SENTRA...

We were driving down the highway in my car when I hit the speed limiter (...I though I blew it at first..LOL). He knows now...he's going to catch me on the highway one of these days and tear me a new asshole...HELP!!!!

I'm on a budget here...so no ECU's..and re-programming...TOO EXPENSIVE...

Can I just disconnect the speedo...???

What wire can I cut here people....C'mon!!!

If someone can...please inform me how it works. What it is driven off of etc.

He's fast...real fast...

Help before I get embarrased on the highway....:(

REMINDER: I'M ON A BUDGET HERE PEOPLE!!! A tight one....

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Now I am not sayin this will work, but you may be able to defeat the limiter by disconnectiong the VSS(vehicle speed sensor). A problem may pop up though because the ECU reads this data(thats how it knows when to limit it). I am not sure if the ECU uses this data for anything other than to run the speedo and limit the speed. I dont think it would hurt just to try, you will almost certaintly set the MIL(Malfunction Indicater Light, check engine light) off by doing this, but its an easy fix. Now that I have given you a possible way to do it, just to be safe I am gonna tell you that its very dangerous to go that fast on the highway :p

P

·
0 Posts
How about you just show him who's the boss below your speed limiter? Your limiter is now at what? 110? 115?
Do yourself and everyone else a favor, keep the speeds down, beat him 0-60 and on rolling starts. You don't need to go that fast.

Lastly, I don't think 1991's had a speed limiter on the SE-R's.

Can a Geo Storm even go that fast?
Are you trolling?

hagasan said:
People I need some help here....

I gotta buddy here that has a Geo Storm...he is going to stomp my ass into the ground unless I can figure out one thing...

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
If your on that tight of a budget, what is the point of even racing. If you lose, you lose because you have no money! Don't take racing so seriously unless you've actually put some effort into making your car go fast.

Here's one solution to your problem:
Just send your friend my way, and we'll pack you, and 3 of your other friends in my car, and we'll still whoop the geo storms ass by leaps and bounds.

·
Registered
413 Posts
hagasan said:
That's a bunch of KAKA!

If you have a '91 SE-R...

...'91 SE-R's do not have a ECU controlled speed limiter.

The only speed limiter you are gonna hit is either a cement wall, the rear end of another car, or the fact that the engine is as far as it can push your car. And from what I gather/read/know, you should be able to max out at about 128-132 in stock form. The NX2000 will max out a little bit more due to better aerodynamics.

If you have a Sentra GA16DE and you are racing a Geo Storm, certain models did come with a 1.8 140HP engine. You have no chance with your 1.6.

Geo Storm 1.6 95hp ('91-'94)
Geo Strom GSi 1.6 130hp ('91)
Geo Storm GSi 1.8 140hp ('92-'94)

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Errrrrrr....I never said it is the SE-R model...did I, now....

The GEO....It's the 95HP model....But...Yeah that thing can go pretty fast... It's not stock...it's got the interior stripped out, no exhaust (almost...), ram-air kit(home made...) and ignition timing at 18 degrees. That thing moves....not really...but it's faster than my Sentra...

I've "clocked" him at about 120mph when he was following me in my Mustang...

He's also been clocked at 110+ mph....:)

GSP CERTIFIED....

:p

PatScott..do you have any more info on that...???

Where is it located, how I dissconnect it...etc.

...trying to save my ass...again...LOL...thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
hagasan said:
Errrrrrr....I never said it is the SE-R model...did I, now....
Figure that much. After I started typing I went back and posted the GA16DE stuff.

I bought my wife a '91 XE (sold it) a few years ago and it did not seem to have any type of speed limiter. More of a engine can't go that fast limiter.

I don't believe Nissan started using speed limiters on any of their cars until '95 in the US.

P

·
0 Posts
Not true. My 1991 240SX had a speed limiter at 115MPG which the JWT ECU removed.

So again, why do you need to beat him past 110 or whatever speed you're topping out at? If you're beating him up until then, then you're da man and he's just lame. If he's beating you up to that speed, you're not going to win period, just accept it. If a cop catches you, or you lose control, or HE loses control and wipes someone out, you're both in jail, tied up in the courts, and your lives are ruined.

Take it to a track, not on public streets.

NismoPC said:
I don't believe Nissan started using speed limiters on any of their cars until '95 in the US.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The track??? He's spanked my ass repeatatly in the local Autocross track....

I want to beat his ass coming BACK from the track...LOL

But seriously all jokes aside I do want to take it off...so if anyone has some ideas let me know.

ONCE AGAIN...BUDGET IS NON EXISTANT..

And if my car does not have a speed limiter...I got some serious issues with my wiring...once I hit 110 mph...LOL

I'm positive the car has a speed limiter...

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You obviously can't read...

At 110mph the engine SHUTS OFF....

:rolleyes:

If you don't have the ANSWER...don't reply !!!

I'm not here to argue or justify WHY I want to disconnect it...or if it even HAS a speed limiter...

I know it does...

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
NismoPC said:

I bought my wife a '91 XE (sold it) a few years ago and it did not seem to have any type of speed limiter. More of a engine can't go that fast limiter.
Ditto with my car, though i never actually went above 115. i saw a Crown Vic in the distance whom i was catching up to. didn't want to verify weather it was an old man or a statie. so i backed off, but i never hit no limiter. that was about two years ago, and the only time i ever tried to max out my car.

My friends' first car was a Storm. 92. pice of shit. although he is kinda a common sense, and major automotive idiot. but great at school grades. but thats another psychology lesson.......

at one point he was driving around with no radiator fluid in the car. supprised he had no porblems with it. even when we found out, he was still a bit clueless/careless about it. to him it aint broke so he didn't have to fix it. boy did we gut him out. hee hee. (this was in automove class in highschool)

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know....

I'm confused to be honest...

I'm almost positive it was the speed limiter...I mean what else could it be.

The car simply shut off...when I dipped the clutch I blipped the throttle and NOTHING happened. That's when I freaked out 'cause I though I blew it up. But after it came back to idle...I blipped the throttle again and...the car was fine again. I seriously doubt it was some kind of temporary electrical problem...because nothing else happened. It was during the night time and the lights were fine...nothing dimmed, the radio kept playing.

Strange....

I'll post when i find out more...

I'll try it tomorrow and see if it does it again...here goes my license... :( ...LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's most likely not a speed limiter

But rather a rev limiter. Does your car have a tach? If it is indeed a rev limiter, I wouldn't risk removing it.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys...it was a cool morning and she was running
like a champ...:D

There IS a speed limiter....It kicked in at about 114mph indicated...and it did it again....

This time I kept it taped to see what happeneds...it kept slowing down but at about 102mph the car took off again.

I don't think it's like a ignition type limiter....it almost feels like the fuel pump would just shut off...

Sometime soon I'll try to get a Haynes manual and see if they mention anything.... I'm hoping there is like a wire I can just cut.
Or maybe disconnecting the speedo would do the trick...
I don't think it's anything too advanced...it's a sentra for God's sake...a 1991 base model at that...:)

Just 'cause I said that it's propobly driven off of a sealed hidden GPS system...over the gas tank...LOL..

I'll keep you posted guys...

:cool:

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Posted bt ScarCrow28:

well thats a new discovery........now i knew there was a rev limiter, but not a speed limiter.
It's funny too 'cause I actually thought the exact opposite until two days ago....

A reputable member of the forum told me that the cars rev-limiter kicks in at 6900rpm. But I've never had it that high...but I was not sure because I've had it at 6400...and it sounded like it was going to go POP!!!

I mean it sounded like it was STRAINING HARD....LOL

I'll find out eventually though....;)

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
yea, thats a bit scary, specially when you don't have a tach. isn't the redline for the engine like 7200?, i can't imagine going that high! she screams for dear life at 6!

i can hear the air intake sucking in like a vacuum. sounds like i havea supercharger or something lol. if you ever looked at the beginning of it, the hole is smaller then the port on the TB!!! no wonder it sucks like a Hoover. maybe a CAI would be worth it.

all i can say, is thank god for that rev limiter or i would be a engineless, trannyless man

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
all i know it is stupid to reach that speed without suspension work and GOOOD breaks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.