Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
keyless entry on my 96 200sx stopped working some time ago and attributed it to a dead battery in the remote. However, today i replaced the battery and still no luck. i press the button and my car only stares back sullenly. no more happy blinking lights. using the key sucks esp in cold weather. my despair knows no end.

so if anyone has any idea how to end my misery, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sounds more like a borked remote. The remote should only need reprogrammed if you do something like replace the keyless entry module in the car. I've even replaced the car battery without reprogramming. I'd wager the contacts in the remote are worn out, causing the condition.

·
Registered
23 Posts
nova73guy said:
Sounds more like a borked remote. The remote should only need reprogrammed if you do something like replace the keyless entry module in the car. I've even replaced the car battery without reprogramming. I'd wager the contacts in the remote are worn out, causing the condition.
You've either got a bad remote or it needs reprogramming. Any Nissan dealer service dept should have a tester, I test these for free all the time, it's a little handheld deal they should be able to test it right in front of you. Most places will also reprogram a remote for you, but if they don't or won't here's how.

*!! Programming procedure for all NISSAN Keyless entry Remotes!!*
Make sure all the doors are closed and the domelight is set to doors or off. With the car turned off get in the driver's seat and shut the door all the way. Press the power doorlock switch in the following sequence lock-unlock-lock, make sure all the doors are locked. now take the key and insert and remove it from the ignition completely 10 times in under six seconds, make sure the key goes all the way in and all the way out basically do this quick until you see the hazard lights flash (they will flash twice) *B14's are notoriously difficult to get to this point, sometimes it may take you several tries, just keep going. Once the hazard lamps flash put the key in and turn it to ACC (accessory) hit any button on your remote and the hazards should flash again, turn the key off and get out of the car. shut the door and try the remote.

*Things to remember.
All the doors have to be closed.
You could still have a bad remote.
B14's aren't always easy to go into program mode. (where the lights flash).
Sometimes a worn key will prevent you from going to program mode, you might need to go to a dealer, have your keycode retreived and a fresh key cut, if all the pins aren't hitting inside the ignition switch it may not recognize your efforts.
If you're remote is good and no one, not even a dealer can get the car into program mode, you could have a bad smart entrance controller or another problem including a bad ignition switch.
Just the common stuff I see everyday at work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you

Wufaded said:
Hmm, just a hunch, maybe the remote needs to be reprogrammed??? I don't have keyless entry on my car, but I would try that before troubleshooting other areas.

This thread offers details on how to reprogram...look at the #7 post

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=76239
THANK YOU! I just programmed my new remote to my 97 pathfinder. I programmed two remotes and it worked perfectly! Just remember to leave the key on ACC power when programming your additional remotes! :)

·
THINK BLUE
1,014 Posts
benjimenez said:
THANK YOU! I just programmed my new remote to my 97 pathfinder. I programmed two remotes and it worked perfectly! Just remember to leave the key on ACC power when programming your additional remotes! :)
Don't mention it! I was just the middleman, I'm glad you found the information on that thread useful :thumbup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wufaded said:
Don't mention it! I was just the middleman, I'm glad you found the information on that thread useful :thumbup:
I also just reprogrammed my remote for my 96 200sx Se-R. Funny thing is that the remote just stopped working one day, so I assumed it was the batteries. I got replacements at radio shack but they gave me the wrong ones (didn't find that out till I saw the type I needed on here) I then went to Nissan and they told me that the remote was bad and I needed a new one. They so generously offered to sell me one for close to a 100 bucks and program it for 70!!!! How nice, I declined. I then found this thread, got new batteries, programmed it, and guess what!!!! IT WORKED!!! Thanks so much!!!!

So, moral of the story. Make sure you have the right batteries and try to program the thing yourself, if not, check EBAY. I saw the remote that the thread starter needs just last night for much cheaper than the dealer was asking.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Keyless Remote Instructions

Don't know if everyone knew this already. But I found out that the programming instructions were in my Service Manual. So if you have the service manual, you should find the instructions there too. I also heard it was in the Owner's Manual, but I didn't check it yet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
benjimenez said:
Don't know if everyone knew this already. But I found out that the programming instructions were in my Service Manual. So if you have the service manual, you should find the instructions there too. I also heard it was in the Owner's Manual, but I didn't check it yet.
I've been through the owner's manual and never saw anything about it, but it's possible I could have just missed it. The funniest thing is I saw someone on ebay selling "just the directions" for programming for like 5 dollars. Sad!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts