Nissan Forum banner

Key replacement?

159K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  Dave1985 
G
#1 ·
for my 2001 Altima, is there any alternative to the $100 the dealer wants for a spare ignition key? Thanks in advance to all responses...

#3 ·
DaveTV said:
for my 2001 Altima, is there any alternative to the $100 the dealer wants for a spare ignition key? Thanks in advance to all responses...
Are you sure? I show it to be $19.10 you'll have to have it cut and programmed. Maybe thats where there rippin you off. Give me you vin# I'll cut it and send it to you, you'll have to prepay of course. Then you'll have to get it programmed.:)

#5 ·
DaveTV said:
I was quoted $46 for the key and $65 to get it programmed!! how/where could I get this done for less? THX!
They got to be bumpin the price on that key, make sure there not guessing on the price. Go directly to parts and buy the key, have them double check that. As far as programming some dealers if their cool will program it free. Try different dealers.

G
#8 · (Edited)
I am groveling as we speak - I am not worthy - no WONDER people loath car dealers - speaking of dealers. I have an 82 Vanagon camper - needed a simple headlight switch - call VW dealer - 49$!!! - checked out a Vanagon website, down to $19 - went to junkie and pull one from VW quantum, $4

#11 ·
Hardcore said:
Are you sure? I show it to be $19.10 you'll have to have it cut and programmed. Maybe thats where there rippin you off. Give me you vin# I'll cut it and send it to you, you'll have to prepay of course. Then you'll have to get it programmed.:)
I was quoted the following for having a key cut, programmed and a key fob for a 2006 Nissan I just picked up yesterday from the dealer. ($30 for the key, $45 to program and $130 for the fob). Can I have a key cut at my local home depot that will just allow me to open the door and start the ignition or am I at the dealer's expensive mercy? Thanks.

#14 ·
I know that this is an old thread, but for those that are still googling a solution to this problem and come across this thread, maybe my solution can help you..(if you have at least one key containing the chip)

Disclaimer...

Before I go any further, to the best of my knowledge, this post does not contain any unlawful information, as the end result of it still requires a key, which must be obtained by the owner having a duplicate copy of their own key made, to be able to start their own vehicle.

Now...

What I found is that the chip in the key is all about PROXIMITY, and by that, I mean VERY CLOSE proximity.

My wife bought a car that had one key, and the top of it was broken so that it couldnt be attatched to a key ring, so every time I had to even get into the trunk, I had to dig to the bottom of her purse to find it, so I went to WM to have a key made that I could at least open the car with.

Just out of pure boredom, I was experimenting, and I found that if I held the original key right up against the ignition cylinder while using the duplicate, to turn the ignition, the duplicate would start the car with no problems.

So, rather than spending shelling out 100 times more to have a key made than necissary, here was my solution..

First, go to WM, or any local keymaker, and have a duplicate or two made from the original.

Second...There are 4 screws on the bottom of the plastic on the steering column that must be removed to take the plastic off of it. Once the plastic is removed, if you look at the ignition cylinder, you will notice a small wire harness(two small wires,iirc) that lays right over the top of it.

Using that wire harness, take a couple bread bag ties, and secure the original key to it so that the chip side of the key is laying directly against the ignition cylinder..

Using the duplicate key, try to start the car. It should now work. If so, reassemble the plastic.

Given that the original key and chip will now remain within the required proximity of the ignition cylinder, you should now be able to use your run of the mill duplicate key, problem free.

Worked for me, now maybe it will save others money too..

#19 ·
Yup...works GREAT!!!
...I had four of them made...one for each family member...the original with the chip is tie wrapped around the ignition cylinder.

sb71nova makes 1 post...saving me hundreds!!!

Thanks sb71nova!!!...where ever you are!!!
8^)

**I realize this is an ancient thread...but I found it today searching for an answer and just thought I would confirm that it works.

Best regards,
Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.