Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a key replacement for my 2006 Nissan Altima (Ignition key only no key fob or push to start). The issue is when I put it in the ignition it turns to ON but the instrument cluster doesn’t illuminate, I can’t shift out of park and the brake pedal is locked up. What’s going on here? From what I’ve read it seems that maybe it has been immobilized but the locksmith is telling me that’s not the problem and that it’s probably a fuse and that he needs them to come on to verify the key has been “accepted”. None of my fuses are bad and from what I’ve been able to find on shopkey it seems that there’s a registration between the key and a security feature before it will connect to the ECM/BCM and ultimately start the car or at the least illuminate the dash. Is anyone familiar with this? Is this guy feeding me crap to not have to admit he made a mistake or do I need to take a closer look into my BCM or ECM?

PS yes the battery is good
Computer Font Gadget Audio equipment Line

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The cluster should be lighting up with the key regardless of whether there's a security issue, so you do have some problem besides NATS. There are 3 different fuses supplying the cluster, #6 (Acc), #14 (Ign) and #19 (Bat). Most Nissan clusters can light up with ignition power only, but won't light if there's no ignition signal. So the only likely fuse is #14:
Circuit component Rectangle Font Parallel Passive circuit component

Check it with a test lamp and not by pulling it. Visual inspection won't tell you if it has power. If there's no power at the fuse then you have a problem upstream in either the wiring or Ignition Switch. Power comes into the switch on GRN, if there's no power there then there are three fusible links to check, A (120A) and E (100A) in the battery card, then M (40A) in the fuse and relay box.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

If GRN does have power, fuse #14 gets juice directly from the switch via the BLK/RED wire with no relay involved. BLK/RED should be hot in On or Start. WHT/BLU at the switch should have power in Acc/On, and RED should have power only in the On position. If any of them aren't powering correctly, your switch is bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got a key replacement for my 2006 Nissan Altima (Ignition key only no key fob or push to start). The issue is when I put it in the ignition it turns to ON but the instrument cluster doesn’t illuminate, I can’t shift out of park and the brake pedal is locked up. What’s going on here? From what I’ve read it seems that maybe it has been immobilized but the locksmith is telling me that’s not the problem and that it’s probably a fuse and that he needs them to come on to verify the key has been “accepted”. None of my fuses are bad and from what I’ve been able to find on shopkey it seems that there’s a registration between the key and a security feature before it will connect to the ECM/BCM and ultimately start the car or at the least illuminate the dash. Is anyone familiar with this? Is this guy feeding me crap to not have to admit he made a mistake or do I need to take a closer look into my BCM or ECM?

PS yes the battery is good View attachment 8505
Key Replacement fail by some of the reasons
Damaged key
damaged locking system
duplicate Key
Key Fob is damaged
Problem with ignition cylinder
No programmed Key Fob Battery is drained
Door handle are faulty
inappropriate gear setting

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Key Replacement fail by some of the reasons
Damaged key
damaged locking system
duplicate Key
Key Fob is damaged
Problem with ignition cylinder
No programmed Key Fob Battery is drained
Door handle are faulty
inappropriate gear setting
The OP didn't actually have a key problem, he had a power problem. If he traced the fuses and wires as suggested, I'm sure he found the cause.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts