Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 pf with 212,000 miles and I’ve really never have any issues. About 3.5 years ago I had some issues with the camshaft position sensors so I switched out both bank 1 & 2 sensors and everything was fine. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a single shutter as I was driving and sure enough had a P0340 code about my bank 1 camshaft position sensor. I thought it was odd since I changed them a few years earlier but I went ahead and changed bank 1 again. Roughly a week after that I notice the single shutter again while I was driving and sure enough I have the p0340 code again. So now it has been going on about 3 weeks and I notice the shutter about once or twice a week. Clearly it’s not the sensor since I’ve already changed it so I’m looking for some help. I’ve been told it could be the wiring harness and I did watch a video of a guy who had continuous P0340 codes and it ended up being related to a faulty alternator. On a side note which is probably completely unrelated about 3-4 weeks ago I noticed a very slight hesitation when I stated my pf one morning and after work the battery was completely dead. Battery was old so I put in a new one that night and has been fine ever since. Any suggestions or advice is very much appricated!
Thanks
Ryan

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,489 Posts
I have a 2008 pf with 212,000 miles and I’ve really never have any issues. About 3.5 years ago I had some issues with the camshaft position sensors so I switched out both bank 1 & 2 sensors and everything was fine. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a single shutter as I was driving and sure enough had a P0340 code about my bank 1 camshaft position sensor. I thought it was odd since I changed them a few years earlier but I went ahead and changed bank 1 again. Roughly a week after that I notice the single shutter again while I was driving and sure enough I have the p0340 code again. So now it has been going on about 3 weeks and I notice the shutter about once or twice a week. Clearly it’s not the sensor since I’ve already changed it so I’m looking for some help. I’ve been told it could be the wiring harness and I did watch a video of a guy who had continuous P0340 codes and it ended up being related to a faulty alternator. On a side note which is probably completely unrelated about 3-4 weeks ago I noticed a very slight hesitation when I stated my pf one morning and after work the battery was completely dead. Battery was old so I put in a new one that night and has been fine ever since. Any suggestions or advice is very much appricated!
Thanks
Ryan
Sometimes the brand of sensor matters. Since you changed it out, already, and have the same problem, I would also doubt it's the sensor, however, it's best to stay clear of low cost or generic brands when it comes to these vehicles. For cam or crank position sensors, I stick with genuine Nissan, Hitachi, NTK or Denso. There are a number of possibilities that can cause this code. I have seen a few caused by a weak connection in the harness near the plug for the sensor or the plug, itself. You can get repair pigtail connectors. Standard Motor Parts makes them (# S2458 left and S2532 right). WiringSpecialties.com may also carry them. Ultimately, the best thing to do would be to follow the step-by-step diagnostics for P0340 in the Engine Control section of the factory service manual, which you can find at Nico Club's website for free. The catalyst codes can be caused by the apparent misfire, so fix that issue first and see if they come back after you erase the codes. If they do, the misfiring may have damaged the upstream converter, which would leave the options of replacing the converter or using a CEL eliminator (O2 sensor spacer) on the rear oxygen sensor on that bank in hopes to trick the computer and keep it from triggering the code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the advice! I've had other people suggest using OEM parts as well. The sensor I used was Carquest brand I bought at Advanced Auto so I guess there's always a chance it's the issue. Someone did suggest moving the wires at the plug with the car running to see if it would lose connection and shutter but didn't act up at all. I appreciate the suggestions!

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,489 Posts
Hey, thanks for the advice! I've had other people suggest using OEM parts as well. The sensor I used was Carquest brand I bought at Advanced Auto so I guess there's always a chance it's the issue. Someone did suggest moving the wires at the plug with the car running to see if it would lose connection and shutter but didn't act up at all. I appreciate the suggestions!
Rockauto.com sells Hitachi sensors for around $38 each and they make OE sensors for Nissans. Hanshin makes a lot of sensors and coil packs for Nissan and it seems when one fails, it's usually a Hanshin-made part. The sensors you get now from Nissan have a metal end on them instead of being all plastic, but they are over $110 each and I'm not 100% convinced they last any longer. I've seen the metal-end type fail and meanwhile I have the original sensors in my 06 Pathfinder with 220K miles. My 08 Pathy has 270K miles on it and has only had the left bank cam position sensor fail and get replaced. These vehicles did have a lot of problems get caused by the battery connections getting loose, especially on the positive side. I'm not saying it's the cause of your problem, but it wouldn't take much to clean them up and make sure they are tight on the battery posts. The positive cable connection on the 08 Nissan trucks isn't exactly the best design!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rockauto.com sells Hitachi sensors for around $38 each and they make OE sensors for Nissans. Hanshin makes a lot of sensors and coil packs for Nissan and it seems when one fails, it's usually a Hanshin-made part. The sensors you get now from Nissan have a metal end on them instead of being all plastic, but they are over $110 each and I'm not 100% convinced they last any longer. I've seen the metal-end type fail and meanwhile I have the original sensors in my 06 Pathfinder with 220K miles. My 08 Pathy has 270K miles on it and has only had the left bank cam position sensor fail and get replaced. These vehicles did have a lot of problems get caused by the battery connections getting loose, especially on the positive side. I'm not saying it's the cause of your problem, but it wouldn't take much to clean them up and make sure they are tight on the battery posts. The positive cable connection on the 08 Nissan trucks isn't exactly the best design!
Hey...is cam sensor "built in" to a 97...1.6 ltr?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[/QUOTE
Well I just received my Hitachi sensor but it wasn't the same. It is for bank one but the spot for the bolt is in the side and the original one it's on top. I looked on Rock auto and they are all on the side. The plug won't even slide on. If you look at them from the top end it's like they are reversed.
Product Camera accessory Camera lens Digital camera Camera

Material property Font Carton Gadget Box
]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I have a '97 200 sx...cam sensor is in distributor...got replacement for $70 .. hope it does the trick...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts