Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching to find the best motor swap. I am trying to stick with 4 bangers only. I want to get the best motor for the turbo setup. I dont think I'll be revving past 6k rpm. It would be nice to go to 8K, but really not needed. I need a good hp and torque range. I can start with non turbo blocks and work in my own turbo systems and EFI control, not a problem. What would be a good motor to get atleast 250-300 hp/trq from and still be reliable? It will be connected to a 5 speed.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
The SR and KA are both good choices. The KA would have more torque after the boost because of the larger displacement but the SR would be cheaper to get to 250 to 300HP.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the performance parts cheaper for the the SR20DE? I would be designing my own intake and EFI system, also my own exhaust for the turbo config. So I can tune those for anything. But as far as component reliability, would the stock components on the ka or sr be able to handle it? What compnents would be cheaper? Thanks for any help.
Chris

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
I think the internals for the KA are 300HP someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I can stick with stock internals and hit 300hp while using for a daily, that is my goal. As long as it doesn't make it a 30 second winner, then rebuild time is here. I know the big 4's have balance issues and cant reach the highest rpm. If I were to get a KA24DE and a SR20DE and install my turbo/injector system. Upgrade them side by side and reach 300hp. Which would be the best way for a daily?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
The KA would definately have more torque.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't spin it past 6k very much, maybe just to tap it that high for the shift points. But I need to dyno it to do that calculation first. Thats what I was thinking, definitely go for the KA24DE then. I love small motors that can rev and deliver tons of torque, that probably why my Ford has a 5.0 in it, and not a big block. Thats great if the stock bottom end of a KA can handle 300-500hp, then my only concern is the top end. I would need to get new uprated cams for sure and a port/polish on the head. Anything else I should be considering? I have a 280Z 5 speed in my 510 with the L20B. How would I need to adapt the KA24 to fit that tranny or what tranny/bell shall I use?

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank for the site. Does anybody have any info on a KA24DE turbo on the specs of the hp and torque. I have stuff for the SR20DET, but nothing on the KA24DE with added turbo.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking it over a bit, KA24DET with no heavy mods puts about 210-230rwHP with 8psi. Thats not too bad at all. They say they have an engine running at 560rwHP with stock components, but has an engine management system and highly tuned EFI. Thats freekin nuts. I thought my L20B was kicking ass at 130hp. Also I thought my 5.0 with 300hp was cool. The potential is amazing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the KA engine is a one of the Nissan truck. basically it's a truck engine. back then japan were debating either to drop the SR or KA. but it was unpopular back then to have turbos or anything. so then they decided to drop the KA engine as a stock. (correct me if i'm wrong, i read it off the net. it was a japanese article translated to english which was quite interesting) and i think KA performance parts are cheaper than the SR. KA has more torque than the SR. but i will go SR. :)

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would make you go SR? If you can get more hp and torque at a cheaper cost, what more reason to go for the KA. I'm trying to justify the SR/KA fight is all, hehe. I'd sacrifice top end hp for low-mid torque anyday. Thats the stuff that holds your @ss to the seat. Have you ever been in a car where you floor the thing, and try to touch the dash but you cant? I have, and that's all torque :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
510Mods said:
What would make you go SR? If you can get more hp and torque at a cheaper cost, what more reason to go for the KA. I'm trying to justify the SR/KA fight is all, hehe. I'd sacrifice top end hp for low-mid torque anyday. Thats the stuff that holds your @ss to the seat. Have you ever been in a car where you floor the thing, and try to touch the dash but you cant? I have, and that's all torque :)
either the ka or the sr you could make 250- 300 whp. but its all up to personal preference. yes the ka would produce alot of torque but has any looked at the stock specs of the sr?. 205 hp at 6000 rpm and 203 torque at 4000 rpm. i think the sr is still a great competitor. but raising the boost to 10-15 psi on a stock sr will get you to about 250 hp. anything past 10-15 boost your working things a little harder and you still wont gain much. but you as a fabricator you can cut cost on a lot of things. i would go with the sr.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For arguments sake here....With more torque you can get better times all around....run larger tires, higher gears, punchier excel, faster gear change rpm recovery, wider rpm range, higher speeds. If you harness that torque the right way and get it to the ground, its all gravy after that. I admit to being a Ford V-8 guy. Early 289ci motors are high revving monsters, just like the datsuns. 500hp at 8k rpm is easy. But if you cant get that to the road, might as well be a Geo Metro engine in there. Another quick example....salt flat racers....reach 200 mph easily cause they have higher gears in it. Motors are torque monsters 500-600ft/lbs, but geared so high they only need to rev to 7000rpm. The torque keeps the motor from lagging in highway gears. Sorry for that let go, wish I had a classroom set up. easier to show it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
510Mods said:
For arguments sake here....With more torque you can get better times all around....run larger tires, higher gears, punchier excel, faster gear change rpm recovery, wider rpm range, higher speeds. If you harness that torque the right way and get it to the ground, its all gravy after that. I admit to being a Ford V-8 guy. Early 289ci motors are high revving monsters, just like the datsuns. 500hp at 8k rpm is easy. But if you cant get that to the road, might as well be a Geo Metro engine in there. Another quick example....salt flat racers....reach 200 mph easily cause they have higher gears in it. Motors are torque monsters 500-600ft/lbs, but geared so high they only need to rev to 7000rpm. The torque keeps the motor from lagging in highway gears. Sorry for that let go, wish I had a classroom set up. easier to show it.
you can take any engine and do what you want with it. it just comes down to r&d. you can have a very torqy engine that tachs out at 4500-5000 rpm or one that rides all the way up to 18000 rpm. it just depends at what you want and what its for.if you look at the numbers i posted last about the sr the torque and horsepower output is nearly identical.but other wise its like i said in the beggining. it comes down to personal preference.

·
Think outside "The Box"
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your right about personal preference, but like so many other things it doesn't make it the best choice. Its like steak, you like it and it tastes good and recommend it to all your friends. Then a person comes up to you and says your steak is not the best and to try another one. You resist cause of the knowledge you posses about the other and you know it taste good. Then you finally get over yourself and try it, then never look back cause "it is better". I used to be a V-8 guy, until I bought my first datsun 620 with an L18. Loved that it had power to pass other cars up the hills without lag. Its all metal and numbers to me bro.

·
Registered
113 Posts
510Mods said:
Your right about personal preference, but like so many other things it doesn't make it the best choice. Its like steak, you like it and it tastes good and recommend it to all your friends. Then a person comes up to you and says your steak is not the best and to try another one. You resist cause of the knowledge you posses about the other and you know it taste good. Then you finally get over yourself and try it, then never look back cause "it is better". I used to be a V-8 guy, until I bought my first datsun 620 with an L18. Loved that it had power to pass other cars up the hills without lag. Its all metal and numbers to me bro.
funny. i still think my steak is better. hahaha. how bout this. it goes to personal preference until proven different. and to tell you the truth it is pointless to try and debate about it. i know which route im going to take, you may be going the same way or you may be going another route. the knowledge is out there. its all theory and r&d to me bro.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts