Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a S13 block work in a 97 altima and can i use the altima head?

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
My first guess would be no since the S13 block is for rear-wheel drive and the Altima is obviously not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrEous said:
My first guess would be no since the S13 block is for rear-wheel drive and the Altima is obviously not.
yea thats true

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
...just not a direct bolt-on

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anything would fit, it just might be more time and money than is worth it. I would say the bigger trouble is the fact that the S13 would be OBD1 and a 97 Altima would be OBD2. In fact, I am not positive on the legality of downgrading a car's emission systems.

·
Registered
504 Posts
you cant install an older engine in a newer car...so yeah, emissions would kill you. and as for install, im not sure it would. you'd have to get all the parts for a FWD KA to bolt on to the RWD, and even then im not sure it would fit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have the motor in my garage and it has low miles on and my altima has 212K on it so thats why i wanted to know

·
Registered
80 Posts
the head would absolutely fit. The way that Nissan designs its motors makes me willing to bet that a ka from an s13 will fit into a 97 altima with NO modifications. It's just a matter of moving the mounts from the old motor onto the new one. For example, on the vq series.... the 6th gen maxima has the mounting points that the 350z uses. Follow?

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
WRONG.

The FWD and RWD KA have the distributors in different locations, and the manifolds are totally, completely different.

the S13 block *might* bolt up to the Alty head, but I dunno there.

try checking the motorsports forum.. there's some talk about it there as well.
also look on 240sxforums for answers to this. it's common material there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Matt93SE said:
WRONG.

The FWD and RWD KA have the distributors in different locations, and the manifolds are totally, completely different.

the S13 block *might* bolt up to the Alty head, but I dunno there.

try checking the motorsports forum.. there's some talk about it there as well.
also look on 240sxforums for answers to this. it's common material there.

Autozone had the exact same distributor for both the s13 and the altima.... of course this is autozone so you may wanna make sure. If he's changing the head - might as well change the intake manifold to the altima one.... same goes for the exhaust manifold - I just looked at the FSM for both and they look similar.... maybe I need to look at it in detail but at first glance they look similar.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the way everthing looks, it looks like it will bolt up

·
Registered
504 Posts
im a member of NICO, the guys there are really cool, but they dont have a lot of people looking at the 240 tech section. the brunt of the viewers are in the 240gen and gen chat section.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
seximagtr said:
Autozone had the exact same distributor for both the s13 and the altima.... of course this is autozone so you may wanna make sure. If he's changing the head - might as well change the intake manifold to the altima one.... same goes for the exhaust manifold - I just looked at the FSM for both and they look similar.... maybe I need to look at it in detail but at first glance they look similar.

The distributor CAP, or the distributor?
The caps may be the same, but the distributors are different.
they're in completely different places in the engine and driven off different parts on the cam..
want me to take some pics? I have an altima and a 240 in my driveway right now.

·
Gummybears FTMFW!
1,020 Posts
also you have to consider the fact that the motor in the 97 alti was DOHC and half of the S13's were SOHC. What years is the S13?

Overall though, I'm going to go with Matt's thoughts as they are the same block, but the layout is different. And the mounts being in different places isn't exactly the easiest thing to change IIRC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts