Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 K10 March/Micra and recently purchased a P10 Primera (SR18DE) engine. I'm interesting in doing an engine swap but need some insight and advice. Also, the SR18DE came with an automatic transmission and I would like to change to a manual transmission so I need to know my options for manual transmission for this application.

Thanks. Graciously awaiting your advice and insight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 1989 K10 March/Micra and recently purchased a P10 Primera (SR18DE) engine. I'm interesting in doing an engine swap but need some insight and advice. Also, the SR18DE came with an automatic transmission and I would like to change to a manual transmission so I need to know my options for manual transmission for this application.

This is the March/Micra:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1989 K10 March/Micra and recently purchased a P10 Primera (SR18DE) engine. I'm interesting in doing an engine swap but need some insight and advice. Also, the SR18DE came with an automatic transmission and I would like to change to a manual transmission/gearbox so I need to know my options for manual transmissions for this application.

Can anyone tell me the best manual transmission/gearbox I can use with my setup?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure about Antigua. Not sure what will fit in the engine bay of a March Micra. Probably need to climb under the car and do some measuring. I suspect that it will require the box from a SR20 equipped B13, if that will fit. May require custom axles, as I think that car is a bit narrower than a B13. Should be a fun conversion.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Yes I second the B13 / B14 SR20 tranmission NOT GA16 or GA15.
Yes, I think a March is much narrower than a P10 !! or a B13 for that matter. They are tiny cars, saw some in Singapore.
Since we don't have March/Micra's here in USA knowledge here is limited...
now if you were putting a VQ35 in a Sentra ... that's been done !!!
Sound very extensive and expensive swap to me, i hope you can do all the fab work yourself.
Good Luck.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently have a 1.5L engine out of a 1980's Nissan Sunny (shown below). I had to fabricate the engine mounts. That was the bulk of the work because the bell-housing for the Micra transmission bolted right on to the Sunny engine.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
B13 = N14, B14 = N15 to the best of my knowledge.
This time you will have to modify your mounts for the engine and transmission
And figure out the axles / hubs.
As Rob E said the axles may have to be cut down or special axles made with Micra hub ends and SR20 inner ends.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
wouldn't a CA18 or CA18 turbo have fitted right up to the transaxle like the E15 ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wouldn't a CA18 or CA18 turbo have fitted right up to the transaxle like the E15 ?
We toyed with the idea of the CA18 trans-axles but the availability of parts for them around here is not as much as the SR series.

The P10 Primera that I'm taking the SR18DE out of has four disk brakes; I'm thinking of doing the four-disk conversion on the March/Micra. This would entail struts, arms, hubs and rotors.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't want to get too far ahead of myself but I was told the exhaust manifold, headers, injectors, intake manifold etc from the SR20DET can be used on the SR18DE. Is this true? If so I would like to start sourcing the SR20DET turbo items.

--
Kariba
Precision Engineering

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure about Antigua. Not sure what will fit in the engine bay of a March Micra. Probably need to climb under the car and do some measuring. I suspect that it will require the box from a SR20 equipped B13, if that will fit. May require custom axles, as I think that car is a bit narrower than a B13. Should be a fun conversion.
Thanks for the info. Antigua is an island in the Caribbean; 365 beaches, so we have a beach for every day of the year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cool animation in that last post. We don't get SR18's here in the states. I would think that architecturally they are the same as SR20 stuff but don't know for sure.

I thought that Antigua was in the Carribean, hadn't looked it up yet. One beach for each day of the year sounds perfect.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally dropped the engine and transmission from my P10 Primera/G20 Infiniti (boy that's some serious engine there). Next on the agenda is:

(1) bolt out the dash and remove the wiring harness leading up to the gauge cluster.
(2) Remove the suspsension from the P10/G20 so that fabrication commence for it to work on the K10 March.
(3) Locate a gearbox for the P10/G20 engine (the best gearbox I was told is from an SE-R sentra. Is that correct?)

I'll try to provide some pictures.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
SE-R B14 had a viscous Limited slip diff through 97 at least. (B13?)
Sentra SE 2.0 98 and 99 did not have this.
Strongest is the B15 unit, i believe you have to get a G20 if you want the LSD.

So yes the B13 B14 SE-R unit is a good choice and should be easier for you to find.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Project Update

I have been doing some serious thinking and I'm considering using a B13 Sentra shell rather than the K10 March shell. This came about as a result of research and previous engine swaps of the same nature (SR powerplant in a B Series Sentra). From what I've researched since the wheel-base for the B13 Sentra is just as wide as that of the P10 Primera/G20 Infiniti is lessens the fabrications needed in terms of drive shafts, suspension, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I am trying to locate the wiring diagram for the SR18DE engine. Can anyone help with this?

Awaiting your opinions and comments.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
you could try and compare an SR20 wiring diagram, if its the same for some major parts, it prob is same for whole engine bay.
Yes it makes more sense to me to use a B13 shell than a March.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts