Nissan Forum banner

K&N air filter? I searched...

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  xbrandonx 
#1 ·
I tried to search for K&N filter threads, but I guess its tough to search K&N.

So anyway, I'm at 171K miles on my 96 200SX SE, and just noticed that I need an air filter. It previously had an oil leak with the front and rear main seals (both replaced) that seemed to cause one side of the filter to turn black from the oil I suppose.

Are K&N filters good for these cars? Any noticeable difference?

I also drive a Subaru Legacy Turbo, and I always hear that these filters hurt performance more than anything on that baby. No need to increase hp there as Subaru's EJ25T packs plenty of punch.

Still I drive this 200SX more, and would like to know if K&N is the way to go with filters, or should I stick with factory?

#2 ·
K&N's are very good peices. Though you might as well just get a CAI if your looking for gains cause with just an open filter youll be dissapointed in the gains if your looking for a lot more grunt. I dont know why they would hurt performance, where'd you hear that?

#3 ·
WRXrob said:
Still I drive this 200SX more, and would like to know if K&N is the way to go with filters, or should I stick with factory?
Are you talking about a K&N drop in replacement for the air box or about adding a K&N cone filter?
The drop in replacement won't give you any noticeable performance increase, but it will give you a better filter that will last longer and you can clean.
The cone filter will give you a performance increase, sound increase at WOT, and you'll need to get an adaptor to attach it.

Neither will cause a decrease in performance, assuming they're installed properly. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Nissan200sx said:
I have the adapter w/ Cone filter, it changed the sound of the exhaust a lot. It also made the engine a little more noisy. The power changes of just adding a filter are slight. I'm not sure if engine heat has any effect on the tempature of the intake air on our models.
it dosent do anything to the exhaust, thats the intake sound you are hearing.

also, heat effects every car.

the reason a cone filter adds HP is because you take all the crapy stock air box out and now the air flows through just a filter instead of all that baffling. you can get an adaptor and filter on ebay for $20

#11 ·
xbrandonx said:
That is SHIPPED as well if you look hard enough but if you want a K&N filter, it'll cost a little more.
oy? yea i know. i just saw one the other day for $2 but the shipping was like $18.

#13 ·
floydiandays said:
My drop in was like 49 a few years ago. That cone one looks nice though, what's the price on that?
did you click the link in his post?

#18 ·
I paid about $65 for the adapter and filter element at CD Motorsports, kinda high price if you ask me. Will post pics Fri.

One quick question though, the only reason that I didnt purchase the cold air it that I live in a very rainy area. And I don't want to expose my intake to water. I'm aware of the bypass valve. Is rain an issue W/cold air?

#20 ·
wow. thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't checked since I posted this, but yesterday I actually bought the factory OEM filter to replace the aging WIX filter that was covered in motor oil from earlier leaks that have since been fixed.

Amazingly, I felt a major difference in power just by replacing with an OEM filter :eek::thumbup: . Not only that, the gas gauge hasn't seemed to move since. To think I got 37.5 mpg on the tank before the filter replacement. I wonder what this tank will see.

Perhaps I'll get a K&N when this one wears out (probably when I reach 200K miles, which is only 29K miles from now)

#21 ·
WRXrob said:
wow. thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't checked since I posted this, but yesterday I actually bought the factory OEM filter to replace the aging WIX filter that was covered in motor oil from earlier leaks that have since been fixed.

Amazingly, I felt a major difference in power just by replacing with an OEM filter :eek::thumbup: . Not only that, the gas gauge hasn't seemed to move since. To think I got 37.5 mpg on the tank before the filter replacement. I wonder what this tank will see.

Perhaps I'll get a K&N when this one wears out (probably when I reach 200K miles, which is only 29K miles from now)
K&N is really the best way to go, and if your filter was pretty nasty then you will notice a nice differnce. I pulled out a birds next out of my mom's airbox and she was amazed at what it did for her.

#22 ·
WRXrob said:

Holy crap. That is killer gas mileage for a car that old. I wish my car got that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.