Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my JWT ECU back from adding the S3 program. I've only driven to dinner and back (~5 miles round trip). When I push the clutch in, the idle drops to 500rpm, bounches back to around 1000rpm, drops back to ~700rpm, then settles at 1100rpm. I have the base idle set at 800rpm, and timing is at 15 deg. Any thoughts? The stock ECU did not do this. Maybe I haven't given the ECU enough driving time to learn the car. This is in my '96 SE-R.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Should mellow out in 20 minutes or so of driving.

Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It still idles at 1200 rpm. Someone told me to put the base idle at 950rpm. Driving to work this morning, I don't remember if the car dive bombed when I pushed the clutch in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
eric96ser said:
I just got my JWT ECU back from adding the S3 program. I've only driven to dinner and back (~5 miles round trip). When I push the clutch in, the idle drops to 500rpm, bounches back to around 1000rpm, drops back to ~700rpm,
I've got similar problems with my 95 w/ S3s and the cam program. I've just ignored it this whole time. Usually at idle, it'll bounce around from ~900 up to 1100 or 1200 but very subtly. And with the clutch in, it'll be around 1500 or so. Over the weekend, for the first time in a while, it stayed at 1500 for a while after I let the clutch out too. I don't think it makes a huge difference... just something annoying

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Re: Re: JWT ECU w/ S3s idle

kieranlavin said:

I've got similar problems with my 95 w/ S3s and the cam program. I've just ignored it this whole time. Usually at idle, it'll bounce around from ~900 up to 1100 or 1200 but very subtly. And with the clutch in, it'll be around 1500 or so. Over the weekend, for the first time in a while, it stayed at 1500 for a while after I let the clutch out too. I don't think it makes a huge difference... just something annoying
That almost seems like a TPS issue.

Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
Re: Re: Re: JWT ECU w/ S3s idle

morepower2 said:

That almost seems like a TPS issue.

Mike
I haven't checked in a while but last time I thought the same thing and the TPS was fine... my idle has *ALWAYS* been screwed up almost from day one! Before I even did anything to the car, it was screwed up but I've gotten used to ignoring it ;)

Ray thought I was crazy when I tried explaining all the weird idle problems. Till one day where the car was surging eratically all over the place while he was there. He checked a bunch of stuff and shrugged... like I've always done. It's weird but I don't lose much sleep over it

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: JWT ECU w/ S3s idle

kieranlavin said:

I haven't checked in a while but last time I thought the same thing and the TPS was fine... my idle has *ALWAYS* been screwed up almost from day one! Before I even did anything to the car, it was screwed up but I've gotten used to ignoring it ;)

Ray thought I was crazy when I tried explaining all the weird idle problems. Till one day where the car was surging eratically all over the place while he was there. He checked a bunch of stuff and shrugged... like I've always done. It's weird but I don't lose much sleep over it
Sometimes a bad TPS is not that obvious. The voltage can vary from time to time.

Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
morepower2 said:

Sometimes a bad TPS is not that obvious. The voltage can vary from time to time.

Mike
Hmmm.... have to check that out. Thanks. I never thought I'd get a solution to a problem I don't really care a whole lot about simply by commenting on something Eric said ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike, what should the TPS voltage be at? Is it different for the S3s?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to Ray Kawski today ( there might be another problem :) ) and he said to put the TPS voltage at .45v. I checked mine, and it was at .387v. I adjusted it to .454v, which was the closest I could get it. At WOT, all I get is 3.98v. Mike, do you think this could cause the power issues we talked about earlier? I let the car warm up, and reset the TPS memory like the FSM says to, and the idle is still at 1200rpm. I didn't drive it after doing this. I did noticed driving home from work, that the idle doesn't dive bomb anymore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 97 SE-R did the same thing after installing S3 cams and JWT ecu w/pop and S3 programs. Now, after about 1500 miles, it idles at about 1000 rpm and is almost steady. Day one was really bad. It would stall after starting unless I had the gas pedal depressed and idle was up and down between 900 and 1500 rpm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am assuming my SER has the S3's in it - I picked up the cams used.
The lobe length is 1.552" and breath of the lobe is 1.262" - resulting in a .29" difference. If I remember right, the S3s should be around .288" correct, with stock maybe around .250" or so? I could be off 2 thousandths because I measured the cams in the car.

I always thought I never had the S3s because the car idles like butter..and with a 182K on the clock. Besides the rev limit, what else could the JWT ECU offer with the S3s?

I'm going to dyno the car either today or tomorrow to get a good baseline. See the other post for results.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'v got the s-4's and the car idles fine at 800-850 rpm. It's got kinda a lope but it isn't bad. The tps reads .45.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After installing the CAI..the idle became more irradic.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
mine jumps alot whenever I'm idling. as I slow down to stop, the engine goes down to like 500 (even stalled once but that was a hard stop) once the car is at a complete stop it pops back up 1500 and levels out @900 then maybe 3 times durring a red light, it'll shoot up to 1500+ then sink to 500-600 for 30 seconds. It's annoying as hell b/c the car shakes really bad when it is in the lower rpms.
also don't say it stalled b/c I didn't clutch because I got an auto.

BTW, how do you like your new cams eric? did you feel a good difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts