Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ill be installing my new cams in a week so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to change the timing chain while i had the motor half apart. i know its a pita to do. anyway the motor has 65,000 miles on it i know its still a lil young to change the chain already but i think this will be the final mod on this motor. what do u guys think? anybody change the chain while installing new cams, how much more work?

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
I would change it
Your engine will see higher revs more frequently ;)

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
I probably wouldn't change it unless you see signs of wear on the chain. What I would definately do is check the upper tensioner and if it's bad replace it and then check the lower tensioner as well.

It really is a lot more work to remove/replace the lower chain even if you already have the cams off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya thats what i figuered, and ya i defenatly plan on checking the tensioners, my buddy tells me that they are oil pressure operated so basicly u lose oil pressure=the chain gets lose=either jumps links and or starts slaping the timing cover= 1 screwd dude :hal:

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
microsweper said:
ya thats what i figuered, and ya i defenatly plan on checking the tensioners, my buddy tells me that they are oil pressure operated so basicly u lose oil pressure=the chain gets lose=either jumps links and or starts slaping the timing cover= 1 screwd dude :hal:
wrong. they are not oil pressure operated. I'm thinking they are spring loaded but I've replaced the tensioner before and know that it'll hold tension without even being install as in there is something inside it(probably a spring) that forces it out. The loosen the chain you need to take a needle and while forcing the tensioner back put the needle in the hole on the tensioner that will hold it back off of the chain. Any other questions regarding the cam install or tensioner replacement feel free to ask. I've done the camshaft swap 4 times now and the last time took only 2 hours(first time took 5 hours which is supposedly the normal time) so I've pretty much got the process down.

Mitch

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well maby you cold tell me what else ill need other than the cams or tools for the install, also what do i need to get to replace the tensioners, just go to napa and ask for the timing chain tensioners for my car? i guess im still not sure if i will change the chain yet or not though.

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
microsweper said:
well maby you cold tell me what else ill need other than the cams or tools for the install, also what do i need to get to replace the tensioners, just go to napa and ask for the timing chain tensioners for my car? i guess im still not sure if i will change the chain yet or not though.
Your car doesn't have a lot of miles so the chain and sprockets should be perfectly fine. The tensioners I would get through courtesy nissan online cuz their prices are the cheapest I've seen. However you can also get them at a dealership or probably an auto parts store. The upper tensioner requires just your basic tools. The cams are the same way. However you will need 2 7/8" wrenches or 1 7/8" wrench and a breaker bar with 7/8" bit(I suggest this way cuz you can get more leverage with a breaker bar and you'll need it cuz the bolts are really tight). Will also need a torque wrench(I never used one cuz I'm lazy but you should use one to be on the safe side. The bolts on the cam sprockets are suppose to be at 85lbs torque. Dont forget a good magic marker for marking the location of the sprockets to the chain and the position of the distributor. And ofcourse be sure that you put the bearing caps back at the same place and same direction aswell. There are a few things I ussually do that I didn't know the first time but can't think of em right now so when I remember them I'll let ya know.

Mitch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts