Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked all over and from what FAST says and the Haynes manual, you have to get a whole new driveshaft assembly. You cannot change out the u-joints.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
I've looked all over and from what FAST says and the Haynes manual, you have to get a whole new driveshaft assembly. You cannot change out the u-joints.
If that is the case check out the Junkyard. Is your drive line sagging or is the actual U joint F'ed up?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not gone out yet but she's loose. I can hear it popping sometimes.

alright but that's what I figured just wanted to pass it by you guys.

500 bucks just to tell you guys that ever need one.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Crawled under there and made sure the bolts are tight?

I'm sure the U-joints have to be replaceable somehow, how would it be put together otherwise. Might be press fit joints or something, though.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think my 1990 300zx might have that same problem. When I start up the car and start moving really slow(particularly when its cold) then I feel this violent thumping noise behind me. I took it to a nissan dealer and they said it was the "rear driveshaft joint boot(Rear Ctnrion Brng)". the handwriting is really bad and apparently theres not enough space on the paper to write it out properly. What do you all think?

Also, do any of you know of a place where i can buy parts for my car? I find plenty of places to buy fancy exhausts and carbon fiber hoods and all that crap, but Im lookin for normal stuff like alternators and spark plugs andsteering gearboxes.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Crawled under there and made sure the bolts are tight?

I'm sure the U-joints have to be replaceable somehow, how would it be put together otherwise. Might be press fit joints or something, though.....
Nope; they aren't.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JAMESZ said:
Nope; they aren't.
x2. The driveshaft and U joints come as one assembly.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Then tell me how it was assembled. ;)
By the factory... That's how.

Even if you could get it disassembled. You cannot buy a replacement U joint for it. So how far does that get you. No where.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Yes, but the factory must have assembled it somehow. This is not some majical process involving pixie dust..... :rolleyes:

Z31.com states that the driveshaft should be easily modifiable by any local machine shop to accept proper U-joints. Personally, I would go that route, as the supply of complete undamaged driveshafts will become non-existent over time. Modification should cost far less than $500 .

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Yes it is true the driveshaft can be modified so you can swap out the u-joints. Stock though this isn't an option.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might have to check it out, but I dunno I'd have to get it machined, balanced, etc..

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Yes it is true the driveshaft can be modified so you can swap out the u-joints. Stock though this isn't an option.
That's what I'm saying, though, is to have the driveshaft modified. New stock replacements are only going to get more and more expensive. If they can even be found at all, not sure who would have those. I doubt the dealers even can get them, now. And used quality is always in question.....

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
That's what I'm saying, though, is to have the driveshaft modified. New stock replacements are only going to get more and more expensive. If they can even be found at all, not sure who would have those. I doubt the dealers even can get them, now. And used quality is always in question.....

Yes you can still get them.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
Yes you can still get them.
For $500, right? Sorry, my money is worth more than that..... Have the modification done, and then you'll always have it, where as with a new stock driveshaft, you'll be replacing that in 10 years too. Less, with a few Hp mods.....

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
For $500, right? Sorry, my money is worth more than that..... Have the modification done, and then you'll always have it, where as with a new stock driveshaft, you'll be replacing that in 10 years too. Less, with a few Hp mods.....
I wouldn't waste my money modifying one. If I ever have to change out driveshafts it will be for one of the MSA aluminum ones. I won't waste my money going to a shop and having mine mod'd when I can just get a better one.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:
I wouldn't waste my money modifying one. If I ever have to change out driveshafts it will be for one of the MSA aluminum ones. I won't waste my money going to a shop and having mine mod'd when I can just get a better one.
If you want a better one, than you might as well get a carbon fiber one. They can handle pretty much whatever the VG30 could possibly ever throw down. And for less than $1000 too.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
If you want a better one, than you might as well get a carbon fiber one. They can handle pretty much whatever the VG30 could possibly ever throw down. And for less than $1000 too.
Find one. I can get an aluminum one for far less then any Carbon Fibre one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
check this out

i have 1985 300zxturbo2t2 and i just bought a used driveshaft ,went through the yellow pages, i payed 220.00 for it.but as it turned out it wasnt the d.s. it was my brakes it was the calibers were seized up , i know that noise , and i bet you should check your beakes, i was told it is very unlikely for the drive shaft to go bad it would be your u joints that are loose and you take the driveshaft over to a michinery shop. anyway good luck i have one if you dont find one , im in ont. canada : :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts