Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To some, this may seem like a silly question. I just replaced the head and head gasket on my '90 Sentra w/GA16i. The car itself is in great overall shape, but should I keep the car or sell it and run with the money?

About a month ago, I was coming home from doing some shopping with my wife, and the car started to ping badly and began to lose power (the temp gauge never indicated any problems). Then, I noticed antifreeze blowing out the side of the car (it was coming out between the bumper and fender) so I pulled into the nearest gas station and shut it off. We towed the car the rest of the way home and then pulled the head off to find out that it was cracked. I got a remanufactured head off the 'net for $279 and new gaskets. We just finished it up yesterday and it seems to run better than ever although the new head is a little noisy, but it has quieted down after only running 15-20 minutes.

My knowledge of headgasket replacements is limited mostly to Chrysler 2.2/2.5 and GM 2.0 and newer 2.2. Those engines seem like as soon as you have the gasket replaced, the best thing to do is sell it and run because it will do it again.

My cooling system had the nastiest coolant I'd ever seen in it and a couple of the water jackets in the block were essentially blocked. The system was flushed and seems to flow well now.

The guy that did most of the work is a mechanic so you could say that it was done "professionally", but I am wondering if it will end up doing it again. Are these motors known for headgasket/head failure? Should I just clean it up and park it with a for sale sign in it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
im not knowledgeable on specifically the GA16I, however i replaced the head gasket on my E16I about 4 months ago and it runs like a champ now.

from my expierience with Nissan rebuilding (head gasket on my E16I, and also on my CA20E from my 200SX) They both are still running like tops.

Id say you have a road worthy car. I mean C'mon...its still a Nissan ;)

Just make sure you change the oil at 500 and 1000 mile mark.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
This is the type of car that you run into the ground. After putting that money and work into a new head you might as well drive it till it dies because you're not going to get your money back anyways. These cars don't exactly have great re-sale value.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
replace 2 Head gaskets... :) got 2 unkillable engine now !! :)..
was on E16 too... but i can think the Ga16 would be even better now its clean, healthy, new fluids... it will go another 100000mile without any trouble !! :) jap engine are longliving beast !

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
how much would you want for it?... my dad got a permanent parking stall at work so hes been Sentra to work all the time.
Im looking for somehting to run into the ground thats gonna be cheap to insure....
I could go for a Kayak rack to cuz im always taking the car (and boat!) to a river or lake for some kayaking.

-Nick

·
Registered
27 Posts
if u just replaced the head gasket i whould sell it but since u replaced the head. (and u checked to see if it was warped and it was good)then u should be alright. head gaskets just dont go for no reason. usallay u have a problem that lead to it blowing .. so i think ur in good shape

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lcsjhnnyblz said:
if u just replaced the head gasket i whould sell it but since u replaced the head. (and u checked to see if it was warped and it was good)then u should be alright.

It was OK for 3 yrs after that post then I sold it November of '05 and it still ran like a top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts