Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I go to pick up my car from getting the command start installed. They tell me they couldnt get it finished. As soon as they said that i knew something was wrong. The guy said it was running and all of a sudden :balls: :balls: :balls: quit and wouldnt start. I went outside and gave it a shot and right away I could tell that the fuel pump didn't kick in. So im guessing its the relay or the pump. Car has 3/4 of a tank of gas. How much should I be expecting to fork over to have this done ( its -40 outside... no way in hell im doing it ). Could the temperature change from being outside to coming inside to have the install done have something to do with it?

might i add..... WORST DAY EVER!!!!!!!! 10 hours wait for a tow truck :balls: :balls: :balls: :balls:

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
I would start by checking the fuel pump fuse. When the pump on my 90 gave up, it started blowing the fuse. I would replace it, would run for a while, and it would blow and quit again. It is in the main fuse box under the dash.

The pump is not hard to replace (if that is what is bad) . It is under the back seat and can be changed in about 1/2 hour. The pump itself is not cheap though. I am gonna guess your going to pay around $200 depending on where you buy and if you get just the pump or the whole assembly. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked the fuse and it was fine.. .apparently the car was just running and it died and it oculdnt start again... you can't hear the pump kick in when the ignition is on the "ON" setting either.... i would gladly do the fuel pump myself. I know its relatively easy to work on. But its -35here, -40 to -50 with the windchill... i just dont have teh heated garage to do it in... i'd freeze

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
You don't think there is any way they could have monkey'd something up while they were working on it ? Did you check all of you fuses ? I would make sure they didn't accidently short something out and pop a fuse in the fuse box or out under the hood. I am always leary when someone else touches my car. I do not know if the ECU has anything to do with the fuel pump or if it basically just works on pressure ?

If the pump just did up and die, I wouldn't think the garage labor would be very much. I can't imagine it taking an hour for a mechanic who has never even seen a Sentra.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the guy that was installing it said he tried to get it going... he thought there was no gas in it because he knocked on the tank and it sounded empty ( when the gauge reads 3/4 ). What gets me is it was running (he wasnt by the car i believe) and it just died and wouldnt start. I checked the fuel pump fuse and its not blown, fuel pump isnt priming like it used to, so that's my best guess right now. The only reason it's getting installed is that it's got a lifetime parts and labour warrranty if it ever breaks.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
bet u they snipped the pump power line and the only reason it ran is because of the residual pressurized fuel, once that was out of the line then it died. pull the seat out and take the car battery or better if u have a spare, and run strait wires to the pump see if it cycles if it does then get under your dash and find out what they did so u can fix it

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
I looked it up in the FSM last night, and there is a very easy test for figuring out if there is power and ground present at the fuel pump. I do not have a scanner, maybe someone here that does can scan the 2 pages for you if you don't have the FSM. At least you'd know if the problem is in the wiring or the pump itself. I'd definitely check it out before I dropped the money on a new pump. Esp. being you had someone cutting into your wiring. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well unfortunately its at the shop already...i got towed to the shop at like 4:30 this morning.. there was a 10hour wait for a tow truck with CAA and all the other companies weren't taking anymore calls.... its like -40 outside and your hands freeze in like 5 mins with gloves on and my garage isnt really that great. I'd rather get a professional look at it so that if it is the installer's fault, then they'll be responsible for picking up the bill. I mentionned to the mechanic about getting the command start put in and what ended up happening, so i guess that now it's just wait until he calls and see... man this blows :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well they looked at it briefly, and no power is getting to the pump. apparently when power is put to the pump, it works.. so its in the wiring.. gotta wait till monday now at least :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts