Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the mid pipe bolts up to my down pipe. now this is fine but it cuts out my second cat completely and when i install it my second o2 sensor is gone too. my question is if this second o2 sensor is removed will it have any negitive effects on performance / gas mileage? i can deal with the light on the dash, just wondering exactly how much this second o2 sensor really matters.

thanks in advance,
justo magusto

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think when you replace the header you get another cat, but then I thought exhaust systems came with cats already. That leads me to another question: When you add a cat, or a resonator, or whatever else you add to the exhaust, do you have to cut the pipe to make room for it? I mean, if you have a set length of pipe, you can't very well squeeze it in there. Say you put in an 18" glasspack for a resonator (for grins here folks), do you have to remove 18" of pipe and weld new flanges on it to bolt it on and keep the whole system the same length? I never knew the answer and I guess it's so simple that nobody had to ask, and I'm just stupid and I should just stay up in front on the intake side of the engine where I belong (and actually know anything useful) and let the exhaust guys deal with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey landlord...you don't have a second cat. The second cat was adapted into the exhaust systems of later B14 models (I think the 98-99 B14). We have a close-cuppled cat that comes straight out of the exhaust manifold. You're probably looking at the stock resonater underneath the car (I made the same mistake).

Do you have a header in your car?

Here's my setup: HS Header -- Random Tech Cat -- Modified Stromung Piping with Resonater -- AC Revolution Muffler

I had to cut the Stromung piping to fit the Cat. Living in Cali, I need to keep it for emissions. If you completely leave out the cat you would have a true straight through exhaust system. More HP but will pollute and your Check Engine Light will be on. Other than that no problems I can think of.

If you have any ?'s just email or PM me. Happy to help.:D

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ga16denismo said:
hey landlord...you don't have a second cat. The second cat was adapted into the exhaust systems of later B14 models (I think the 98-99 B14). We have a close-cuppled cat that comes straight out of the exhaust manifold. You're probably looking at the stock resonater underneath the car (I made the same mistake).

no its a cat, the o2sensor is pluged into it and the round canister type resonator is right behind it. could it be that a 95 has the same setup as a 91-94 but with two sensors? im thinking the stock manifold might be the old style with no cat. i guess ill have to take the coverr off to find out.:D

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
p.s. thanks for the ideas guys.

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
do u have a fed or cali model? my 97 fed exhaust from the DP back looks like this

i have only one cat, which is in mani. and a pre and post o2 sensor. if u have a cali model that could be the reaon for the differences.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how do i tell if i have the cali or fe model or is lookin at the exaust the only way cause what i think is the cat looks like that except the o2 sensors on the exit side and right after that is a round canister wich looks exactly like the resonator on my 91 sentra.

·
Driver
736 Posts
If you have a '95 with a cat behind the downpipe(like you say you do), then you have a federal model. The '95 cali. model cars(like mine), only have a close-coupled cat...and it's part of the exhaust manifold. On cali. model cars, after the down pipe there is only the resonator.

·
Registered
145 Posts
stromburg cutting,

ga16denismo, with the stromburg group deal inprogress now, i have been very tem[ted to run with it but I keep seeing the "cat loss" worry appear. This system isn't cheap and I see you had to cut the strmburg piping to keep the cat as I wouls have to do in emmissions Missouri. Do you feel it was still worth the cost and time. From the parts diagrams I have I can't tell how far back the cat is in my 99 GXE and need to figure that ou before trying cut new piping only to keep and small line of new and bigger piping. Any thoughts?

·
Driver
736 Posts
I thought you could order the stromung with a shorter midpipe so the stock cat could remain. I know this was offered when the first batch was made...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts