Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back in february i started doing my ga to sr20 swap on the car. two weeks later after doing the swap i realized i had a spun bearing on the 3rd piston. i just got everything back from my machine shop. king balancing in phx. i got new pistons at .20 over, new rods, new main and rod bearings, micropolished and balanced crank, and the head deck shaved off a bit. i also just finished putting it all together and will hopefully put it in and start it up this weekend. will the car was up on jacks i also did the nx2000 front and rear disk brake upgrade. :hal: my question is to anyone thats done this. how many miles do i need to drive to let to motor break in untill i start to give it hell?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Running in

On our race engines we basically run them for an hour on a chassis dyno with light load and low revs. After that, we do the tuning and power runs, normally about another hour. We pull the engines down at the end of each season for new rings and bearings, and more often than not, they still look great internally....what I am saying is, take it easy for the first couple of hours, no highway driving, then gradually increase the punishment....

With our current engine, after doing the above "run-in" on the dyno, we did a 20 minute session on the track wiht a 5,000rpm rev limit. The next session we moved the limit to 6,000rpm and the third session we moved it to max rpm (7,000rpm)...engine is still going strong.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st start up

i heard that there is a recommended procedure i should do at first start up of the engine. not sure but i heard i should start it up run it at idle 4 a couple minutes rev a bit past 3k a couple time and repeat this 3 times. if anyone has heard of this and has better instructions let me know

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
make sure u prime your engine alot too , get oil everywhere by unclipping the coil wire and fuel rail and just turn it over a lot. i do it whenever i change my oil filter so i have oil pressure pretty much right away, id imagine it would be even more important for first start up

·
Registered
45 Posts
Getting it started

Most important thing is to make sure you have oil pressure. Take out all the spark plugs, and turn the engine over on the starter until you get oil pressure. Once you have oil pressure re-install the plugs and ignition system and fire the engine.

Prolonged periods of idle are not good for a brand new engine. Once you know the engine is ok and the engine temps and everything are stable...I suggest either taking it for a drive or putting it on the dyno.....keep the revs limited - 3,000 is a pretty safe bet, and drive around town for an hour before increasing revs and load on the engine.

P.S. You don't have to do the whole hour in the first go.....take it for a short drive, then let it cool off.....repeat until you get an hour so of driving time done.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The way I do it.
Get shure that all parts are good lubricated when putting it together.
Turning it with removed plugs, coil connector and fuel pump relay until I get oil presure.
Put in the plugs and connect everything together.
Start it up and let it idle for a while to se everything is OK.
Take it for a short ride to heat it up not reving it over 2000rpm and no real load.
Wait until it cools down fully.
Check the coolant and oil level. Check ignition, set idle speed.
Drive it in for the next 1500miles. Driving it in between 2000 - 3500 rpm with low load for the first week's. Then slowly enlarge the load and rpm not exceding 5000rpm. During drive in I often check the plugs to see if A/F mixture is OK
After the drive in I change oil and filter.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts