Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 92 Sentra yesterday from a friend to use as a cheap daily driver. I am sure there will be many questions coming in the future lol. It has 182000 miles so just getting broken in good right? :thumbup: Of course I am going to start with the basics such as oil, filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires etc. It has several oil leaks or at least I know theres oil over part of the engine bay. Car runs decent but a tuneup should make that even better and smoother. Any tips or recommendations are appreciated.

Brad

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
With that many miles here is what I suggest being a shadetree:

Look at the CV boots for cracking and grease leaking out, if so, replace boots.
Look at the ball joints, jack the car up in front and make sure there is no play in the front end.
Look at the bushings on the sway bars and rusty bolts, they can break off if rusted through that will cause a nice clunk over bumps, not good.
flush the radiator and system
Flush your brake fluid and inspect the brake lines, rubber does not last forever with 13 years old, I would replace them.
Wheel bearings??? Check these with that many miles if not replaced, they may need to by now.
Struts???? ask if replaced.
I have heard of people having corroded Gas filler issues in the North, check that for extreme corrosion in the wheel well.
Replace the fuel hoses and radioator hoses and heater hoses. I know mine were shot on my 1992 a year ago and I replaced every hose on the car because of cracking.
Use a combustion cleaner like BG 44K. This works great to clean carbon off pistons and valves. I could read the numbers on the top of my pistons after I ran it through. its not cheap, but it beats out all other injector cleaners.

Engine: really the only thing is to tune it up with Genuine Nissan cap and rotor and wires. Plugs, use NGK OEM or the V-groove NGK.

The Timing chain and guides are the concern with high miles, make sure there is not alot of noise like a rapping sound at start up, like a chain slapping against something.

I have some items for you if you want them. Goodridge Stainless Steel lines for 1.6 with Drums in the back. if you need new brake lines. I also have a set of OEM wires, I will throw in for free with the lines. All I want is 60.00 for the lines, I paid 120 for them originally.
Let me know if you want the lines and wires.

Chris 92 classic [email protected]

·
Registered
156 Posts
Good on ya, Sunnysentra!

All good advice.

Some questions:

How smoothly does the engine run?

How does the car behave under hard acceleration (getting onto the freeway or passing another vehicle)?

Does the car track straight?

Under hard braking, does the car make funny noises, does it vibrate, does it wander off-track?

Does smoke come from anywhere other than the exhaust?

If you jack the car up with all four wheels off the ground, do the hubs make noises when you spin the wheels or grab 'em & wiggle them side to side?

All these things should be indicators of if & where the car may need TLC.

sunnysentra said:
With that many miles here is what I suggest being a shadetree:

Look at the CV boots for cracking and grease leaking out, if so, replace boots.
Look at the ball joints, jack the car up in front and make sure there is no play in the front end.
Look at the bushings on the sway bars and rusty bolts, they can break off if rusted through that will cause a nice clunk over bumps, not good.
flush the radiator and system
Flush your brake fluid and inspect the brake lines, rubber does not last forever with 13 years old, I would replace them.
Wheel bearings??? Check these with that many miles if not replaced, they may need to by now.
Struts???? ask if replaced.
I have heard of people having corroded Gas filler issues in the North, check that for extreme corrosion in the wheel well.
Replace the fuel hoses and radioator hoses and heater hoses. I know mine were shot on my 1992 a year ago and I replaced every hose on the car because of cracking.
Use a combustion cleaner like BG 44K. This works great to clean carbon off pistons and valves. I could read the numbers on the top of my pistons after I ran it through. its not cheap, but it beats out all other injector cleaners.

Engine: really the only thing is to tune it up with Genuine Nissan cap and rotor and wires. Plugs, use NGK OEM or the V-groove NGK.

The Timing chain and guides are the concern with high miles, make sure there is not alot of noise like a rapping sound at start up, like a chain slapping against something.

I have some items for you if you want them. Goodridge Stainless Steel lines for 1.6 with Drums in the back. if you need new brake lines. I also have a set of OEM wires, I will throw in for free with the lines. All I want is 60.00 for the lines, I paid 120 for them originally.
Let me know if you want the lines and wires.

Chris 92 classic [email protected]

·
Registered
121 Posts
This happened to my 92 Sentra E just before I traded it in for the 96 GXE that I drive now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also have 92 Sentra E. Currently getting 21-23mpg. on city roads. I can drive 270 km (city ,rural Canada) before my next fill up. (about 1/4 of tank remain fillled). On hwy I get 400 km looks ok anything wrong.
I changed cap, rotor, spark plug, pcv valve, oxygen sensor. New Radiator, new exhaust system, ball joints, starter, battery.
Sometime I get gas fume smell in winter when start the car. After awhile the smell disappear. Is it Charcoal Canister-cracke hose? In summer I rarely get gas smell. I was thinking in winter fuel injector using more fuel to start the car up.
I fixed up the leak in the fuel filler pipe with putty(gas smell). The smell is gone but when I open gas cap, its suppose make pressure sound. First few fill up it made loud sound but now it only a hiss.
Back to on the lower gas mileage. Could it be the sending unit not the fuel pump? I read it on Nissan site that it gives incorrect fuel gauge reading.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MisterRx said:
I also have 92 Sentra E. Currently getting 21-23mpg. on city roads. I can drive 270 km (city ,rural Canada) before my next fill up. (about 1/4 of tank remain fillled). On hwy I get 400 km looks ok anything wrong.
I changed cap, rotor, spark plug, pcv valve, oxygen sensor. New Radiator, new exhaust system, ball joints, starter, battery.
Sometime I get gas fume smell in winter when start the car. After awhile the smell disappear. Is it Charcoal Canister-cracke hose? In summer I rarely get gas smell. I was thinking in winter fuel injector using more fuel to start the car up.
I fixed up the leak in the fuel filler pipe with putty(gas smell). The smell is gone but when I open gas cap, its suppose make pressure sound. First few fill up it made loud sound but now it only a hiss.
Back to on the lower gas mileage. Could it be the sending unit not the fuel pump? I read it on Nissan site that it gives incorrect fuel gauge reading.
As you can see by my post count I'm VERY new to nissans, inparticulaur the 1.6 so others on this board may have seen your problem 1xxxxxxxx times and know exactly what it is.

However if you used to get a loud noise when popping your cap, and you don't any longer that can be an indication of an evap leak. I'm not famalier with old cars either but usually if there is a leak 40,000" in diameter it will set the mil light. (Maybe old obd-II cars are this way)
A smoke test into your evap canister will let you know if there is a leak.
Another problem you could be having is sticking injectors or to high of fuel pressure. A fuel pressure test and injector balance test will let you know if there is a problem or not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Next time I go to scrap yard I will pick up a Evap Canister,they rarely go bad. Maybe next time I go to mechanic I'll have the fuel pressure test done and think about injector balance. Thanks! and I have used the Search feature it's great.

I am also new, my post was to go in a different thread but I made a mistake.

I hope I'm not hijacking someones thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts