Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the dyno, and put down 152.2whp and 130.0 ft/lbs. I have all the usual bolt ons, hotshot header and cai, ur pulleys, jwt ecu, custom 2.5' exhaust, and JUN 264 camshafts with the 10.5mm lift. I'm thinking about stepping up to the 272's with the 11.5mm lift with a rob williams intake manifold and some legere headwork. Anyone have any dyno numbers for the big JUN sticks?

R

·
0 Posts
how to your juns compare to S4s? I have a 92 SE-R, Stillen 4-2-1, ecu, S4s, cat back, pullies and CAI. I want to dyno the car and see what i get. i would think i would get in the low 150s like you...

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Rob 92 SE-R said:
how to your juns compare to S4s? I have a 92 SE-R, Stillen 4-2-1, ecu, S4s, cat back, pullies and CAI. I want to dyno the car and see what i get. i would think i would get in the low 150s like you...
S4's are usualy good for mid to high 150's. Those are good dyno numbers for the JUN cams.

Mike

R

·
0 Posts
morepower2 said:

S4's are usualy good for mid to high 150's. Those are good dyno numbers for the JUN cams.

Mike
Sweet! Thats what i want to hear! I need to get to a DYNO asap!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For JUN cams??????? All the guys at the meet with S3's and S4's put down less than 150whp, with the same mods as me. These aren't even the big JUN's. Craig has put down 160 with the 264s with the 11.5mm lift. I have the smaller lift 264's (10.5mm).

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
That's according to Craig's butt dyno.

·
Registered
76 Posts
JUN cams are producing more HP at the same or less lift and duration than JWT cams! What the hell is going to happen everyone, are we gonna start a war with this. I am ready to fight on ryan's side for this one( I am a owner of S4's)! My car with all the bolt ons did not feel as fast as ryan's car with the same mods just different cams! The strictly JWT crowd needs to get out and explore your options! I think he could have put down 160whp if we had the right conditions and if the car was at a cooler temp! With all of the bolt ons w/ jwt s3's I think you will make less power than with the JUN 264's! That is my opinion! This is ofcourse on an N/A application! Please start the bashing because I am ready for this! Here are the circumstances: All bolt ons- I/H/E/pullies/ECU/Cams(jun vs. JWT), mm, etc.! no internal work and on a U.S. spec motor!

R

·
0 Posts
well, i guess i need to get my ass to the dyno! the only differences between my car and 97 Black is I have the $tillen 4-2-1 header and S4s. I am running 11" brakes and heavy wheels ( 15s dont fit) but I hope to put down 150+. Whens the next dyno day in the NE??

and, JWT cams are proven, i dont know of many dyno sheets that have JUN #'s. Unless someone else does?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I AM SO SICK OF THIS FUCKING HORSE SHIT, ABOUT JWT CAMS BEING PROVEN AND JUN CAMS BEING NOT PROVEN. YOU WANT PROOF, CHRIST JUN BUILD AN 8 SECOND SILVIA. DO YOU SEE ANY OTHER SR20'S ON US SOIL IN THE 8'S??? NO, I DIDN'T THINK SO. YOU PEOPLE ARE SO CLOSED MINDED. MAYBE ONE DAY YOU'LL REALIZE THAT MORE THAN ONE COMPANY MAKES KICK ASS PRODUCTS FOR THE SR20.
PEACE

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well Ryan has a dyno sheet! I think Jack has a dyno sheet? I think Craig has a dyno sheet? But since I started the arguement I will have to scurry off and buy some tomei cams! Anyone want some S4's??? NOPE, I will put those in my trophy case and say that they were dyno proven! As I walk by my case every day I will be thinking, " ahh, my dyno proven cams are so lovely! Thank you JIM" ! LOL!

P.S. This is nothing against JWT- they have great products! This thread is about trying different things!

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
97 Black SER said:
For JUN cams??????? All the guys at the meet with S3's and S4's put down less than 150whp, with the same mods as me. These aren't even the big JUN's. Craig has put down 160 with the 264s with the 11.5mm lift. I have the smaller lift 264's (10.5mm).
My NASA SRS Class racer made 157 wheel hp with the S4's and I had to advance the crap out of the cams and make a specal chip with less advance in it on top to reduce the power to the high 140's to stay within the classes 15:1 power to weight ratio rule.

The motor had Hotshot gen 4 header, UD pulleys, JWT ECU with custom power limiting chip, S4's Hotshot CAI and thats about it. It has a 2.25 exhaust with a peforated core muffler and no cat.

I have repeated these numbers several times on different cars. Oh and the engine has over 200k miles on it as well and many, many racing hours.

Mike

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
MarkSR20 said:
JUN cams are producing more HP at the same or less lift and duration than JWT cams! What the hell is going to happen everyone, are we gonna start a war with this. I am ready to fight on ryan's side for this one( I am a owner of S4's)! My car with all the bolt ons did not feel as fast as ryan's car with the same mods just different cams! The strictly JWT crowd needs to get out and explore your options! I think he could have put down 160whp if we had the right conditions and if the car was at a cooler temp! With all of the bolt ons w/ jwt s3's I think you will make less power than with the JUN 264's! That is my opinion! This is ofcourse on an N/A application! Please start the bashing because I am ready for this! Here are the circumstances: All bolt ons- I/H/E/pullies/ECU/Cams(jun vs. JWT), mm, etc.! no internal work and on a U.S. spec motor!
Someone send me some JUN cams and I'll dyno them. Its clear that they are good cams.

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Morepower2, are you mike kojima? Sorry, I don't frequent this board too much. I have no problem taking out my JUN's and running the stock cams for a little while. The only problem is that i'm at college and the stock cams are at home and I have no tools here, so it might have to wait until thanksgiving when I go back to Connecticut.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hmmmm... I don't know why anyone would question JUN cams.

Both JUN and Toda are considered the top cam manufactuers for Hondas (at least here in the US). Since both JUN and Toda have had just as much time tuning the SR series motor as they have the B-Series, I don't know why they would put out a substandard product. I've never understood this. Are we really to think that Japanese manufactuers have less experience producting cams for the SR20 than JWT does? I don't. It may be that the US community has less experience tuning JUN or Toda cams, but I doubt they have less potential than their JWT counterparts.

R

·
0 Posts
97 Black SER said:
I AM SO SICK OF THIS FUCKING HORSE SHIT, ABOUT JWT CAMS BEING PROVEN AND JUN CAMS BEING NOT PROVEN. YOU WANT PROOF, CHRIST JUN BUILD AN 8 SECOND SILVIA. DO YOU SEE ANY OTHER SR20'S ON US SOIL IN THE 8'S??? NO, I DIDN'T THINK SO. YOU PEOPLE ARE SO CLOSED MINDED. MAYBE ONE DAY YOU'LL REALIZE THAT MORE THAN ONE COMPANY MAKES KICK ASS PRODUCTS FOR THE SR20.
PEACE
Dude, calm down! GeeZ! I bought JWT cams becuase they are proven! I didnt get JUN cams because very few people are running them, and if im dumping $500+ in my car, its going to be for something that I know works. Well, the way it seems JUN cams are good as well. to each his own, but the bottom line in they are so many more cars with JWT cams that JUN. I am far from closed minded, if that was directed at me.

Anyway, I also hear the HKS makes some cams as well, anyone have any info on them?>

·
Registered
126 Posts
97 Black SER said:
Morepower2, are you mike kojima? Sorry, I don't frequent this board too much. I have no problem taking out my JUN's and running the stock cams for a little while.
Yes he is and Thanksgiving is not that far away!

Please, DO make an effort to take him up on his offer. It will save us a lot of uncertainty and aggravation! Plus, it will be the first time we will be able to have a back-to-back dyno comparison between Jun and JWT or whatever.

Chris

J

·
0 Posts
morepower2 said:

I think craig has higher compression and headwork as well.

Mike
No no, that was motor #2 that had 4 cracked pistons. Motor #3 is a simple JDM 9.5:1 motor. The ports are just cleaned up, nothing more. NOW the car will be getting high comp, Legere headwork, bigger valves, etc etc. Hope to see 190+whp.

To dispel some misinformation here.

Craig is NOT judgeing by his "butt dyno". The car has dyno sheets. He has the 264 11.5mm lift JUN cams and the car just flat runs away from every S3/4 equiped car on the highway and top end that it has come up against. Same for Ryans car. That's also exactly what happened at the 2001 Convention on the way to Summit Point as well. No one could pull away from Craig on the highway and that was with my fat 190lb butt in the pass seat as well.

Is it coincidence that both cars exhibit superior top end power? Probably not.

Jack's C3 equiped car if I'm not mistaken made a *touch* less power than the big 272 JUN cams. However Jack has a habit of trying many different combinations and doing things a little unorthodox so take that for what it's worth. He likes the C3s with the turbo now though so...

What happened to the S4 full bolt on cars making 145whp at best? That's what I remember. In fact Ray Kawski was the strongest S cam car with IIRC 150whp. What has changed?

I don't doubt you made that kind of power Mike, but that's you and with the access you have to tuning tools and whatnot should be expected. :) The average "Joe's" around don't have that level of sophistication.

What's my point? Just that the JUN cams that have been poo poo'd since the first weak knee'd gneration s3 came out and made 142whp or so are really strong cams. The JUN 264 (As far as we know) have not been changed in the last 5 years while the JWT's have and they are just NOW attaining the hp the JUN's have made all along.

Do JWT's suck? No.

Do JUN's suck? No.

Are the JWT's proven? Yes.

Are the JUN's proven? Yes.

What cams would *I* run if I was buying them again? JUN.

I just really like the power characteristics of the JUN. My only real complaint about the S cam was that it didn't have enough up top for me. I was wiling to sacrifice more lower end power for more top end charge. Whatever JUN did, they put that "cam'd" feel into the grind.

I like the idle of the JUN's better to. boopa boopa boopa :D

Edit: Just for the record, it was a mulitple car dyno day so not much tuning was available, and Ryan's car was run "as is" heat soaked pretty bad from a 1.5hr drive up there. I think with some mild tweaking he would have seen close to 160whp. His car flat screws! Quicker than my 14.1 NA SE-R was IMO.

The JUN cams have been run by several CT people with great success. They are certainly an option over JWT if you want them. They *are* proven, to say otherwise is hogwash.

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
Here we go again...
Mike and I have already discussed at length this situation in a different thread.

Here's my bottom line
Instead of taking everyone's word that something is better (JWT, Toda, HKS, JUN etc) find out for yourself.

O

ps Mike at todausa.com they have 264 SR20 cams in stock ready to ship if you are interested in testing

1 - 20 of 50 Posts