Nissan Forum banner
221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guys
What year to what year the transmissions are compatible?
mine is awd Us build 2014 SV

will a 2017 fit? Is that true that Nissan has fixed some issues on newer years transmissions like 2016 and 2017 or newer when compared to 2014?

I have found many transmissions online and seems that their prices are depending on the millage
I can get a 2017 but I don’t wanna risk it and want to know they can fit
Any lists to see what fits what?

thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
So after a couple of weeks since I drained my tranny after getting it back from dealer.. This is what is looks like after it has settled in the jar. I have measured out 17 cups of fluid and the last cup is some nasty stuff
Automotive tire Tread Tire Automotive wheel system Gas
Liquid Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Tints and shades
Liquid Water Fluid Serveware Dishware
Water Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Tints and shades
Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Dishware Automotive exterior

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guys
What year to what year the transmissions are compatible?
mine is awd Us build 2014 SV

will a 2017 fit? Is that true that Nissan has fixed some issues on newer years transmissions like 2016 and 2017 or newer when compared to 2014?

I have found many transmissions online and seems that their prices are depending on the millage
I can get a 2017 but I don’t wanna risk it and want to know they can fit
Any lists to see what fits what?

thanks

So, my Rouge's jerks are getting worse. I have decided to buy a used tranny for 1K CAD (2018 with 45000 KMs on it). What you guys think?
I would have to pay one more grant for labor and fluid though.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went to Nissan to get fluid for my upcoming tranny swab, the guy was very helpful.
He told me that I could change the filter outside that could help the jerk. He said it’s serviceable and it’s 27$ cad for the part with a o-ring
I even compared the vin numbers of both mine and the donar car, they fit.
However, you guys suggest me a service again to see if it fixes the shudder or a swab?

the swab costs me 1800$ cad

thanks for recommendations

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,806 Posts
So, my Rouge's jerks are getting worse. I have decided to buy a used tranny for 1K CAD (2018 with 45000 KMs on it). What you guys think?
I would have to pay one more grant for labor and fluid though.
Be sure to include the TCM from the donor vehicle along with the CVT; that way you can skip all the programming. Depending on your model, you may need to visit a Nissan dealer to have them get an IP file for the CVT out of the Nissan database, then download it to the TCM.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Be sure to include the TCM from the donor vehicle along with the CVT; that way you can skip all the programming. Depending on your model, you may need to visit a Nissan dealer to have them get an IP file for the CVT out of the Nissan database, then download it to the TCM.
@rogoman what if they don’t give the tcm?
why my mechanic said that it doesn’t need a reprogramming? What dose it do when you reprogram it?

·
7,806 Posts
@rogoman what if they don’t give the tcm?
why my mechanic said that it doesn’t need a reprogramming? What dose it do when you reprogram it?
The TCM is vehicle specific. It can be "flashed" or re-programmed/updated when needed. The TCM reads the valve body values in the ROM and uses them in determining how to operate the transmission. If you swap the transmission and don't re-initialize/clear the TCM memory, it will be using the wrong valve body data.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
It seems that metal touches metal and it has changed the fluid color.
well metal touching metal would be a really bad thing when i just had a reman tranny put in. Spent close to 5k at that dealer they created another problem after the tranny that caused me to burn up 2 alternators and battery. Whatever you do or whereever you take it, I would drain the fluid as soon as you get it back and check the level warmed, overflow plug etc. dealer overfilled mine

·
Registered
65 Posts
hi guys
I opened the pan
The magnets had some dirt but not major big parts. Only a small piece of clutche that I don’t know if that’s a big deal or not.
here is a pic of the magnets
I replaced the filter inside and the outside cooler filter.
Finger Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Black Automotive design Sleeve Style

Black Bag Sleeve Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
7,806 Posts
From observation, it doesn't look bad; just needs a good cleaning. Since you have the pan down, you can replace the wire screen filter. Normally all you need to do is remove the drain plug and do a drain/fill procedure. Most of the time there's no need to replace the filter unless you find debris in the drained fluid that's greater then 1 mm (0.040 in) in size; drain the fluid through a large coffee filter to look for debris. Don't mess with the filter under the beehive, Nissan doesn't recommend ever changing it even if the beehive is replaced. The reason is, CVT's have almost no clutch material and never make "ATF soup" like a conventional A/T. So the filter's primary purpose is only to catch fine metal particles that get through the front pump instead of settling out in the pan. Changing it incautiously or back-flushing the system (never do that!) can both put those particulates back in circulation. You'll be better served to simply drop the pan every couple-three changes and clean it out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
From observation, it doesn't look bad; just needs a good cleaning. Since you have the pan down, you can replace the wire screen filter. Normally all you need to do is remove the drain plug and do a drain/fill procedure. Most of the time there's no need to replace the filter unless you find debris in the drained fluid that's greater then 1 mm (0.040 in) in size; drain the fluid through a large coffee filter to look for debris. Don't mess with the filter under the beehive, Nissan doesn't recommend ever changing it even if the beehive is replaced. The reason is, CVT's have almost no clutch material and never make "ATF soup" like a conventional A/T. So the filter's primary purpose is only to catch fine metal particles that get through the front pump instead of settling out in the pan. Changing it incautiously or back-flushing the system (never do that!) can both put those particulates back in circulation. You'll be better served to simply drop the pan every couple-three changes and clean it out.
Thanks for your comment and suggestions, I got the screen filter changed.
The beehive filter also looks dark as you see, and Nissan told me that it can be changed. They said they do change them here in Winnipeg Manitoba on high millage cars. So I got a new filter and I’ll put it tomorrow. It was 33$ CAD

will update you if that messes it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guys
I got the small beehive filter changed, the screen filter as well. The cat drives good so far, after we put the parts on, we add 5 liters of fluid and let ram for 20 minutes. Then opened the overflow screw and some of it came out and we let it drip till stopped dripping.
I don’t know how that gonna go but the whining noise is still in the background, how much of that is normal for a cvt?
thanks

·
7,806 Posts
It's been said in several forums that the whining noise is due to chain wear or overheating or overfilled. I had a 2009 Altima 2.5 L with the CVT and it had a slight whine which was noticeable at around 40 mph. I purchased the car used and put another 150,000 miles on it; during all that time, the whine never increased. Replaced the fluid several times and made sure that it was not overfilled; never had an overheating problem. So that's my take on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wonder if that is bad to go for a road trip with?
Did you drive long distances with the whining noise?
My car dosent overheat nor has been overfilled

It's been said in several forums that the whining noise is due to chain wear or overheating or overfilled. I had a 2009 Altima 2.5 L with the CVT and it had a slight whine which was noticeable at around 40 mph. I purchased the car used and put another 150,000 miles on it; during all that time, the whine never increased. Replaced the fluid several times and made sure that it was not overfilled; never had an overheating problem. So that's my take on it.

·
7,806 Posts
I wonder if that is bad to go for a road trip with?
Did you drive long distances with the whining noise?
My car dosent overheat nor has been overfilled
We used to take long trips now and then; drove around 50 or 60 mph on these trips. Like I said all the years that I had the car, never ran into any problems.

I would say for you, since you did the service on the CVT, there's really nothing else you need to do. Just drive the car and enjoy the ride. If the whine gets a lot louder over time and starts getting a lot of judder, then maybe it's time for a replacement.

221 - 236 of 236 Posts