Nissan Forum banner
201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Just has to be warm, I think it's 115F minimum. How warm doesn't matter, but the car has to be dead level. Just pop the leveling plug and see what comes out. Should be a trickle and not a gusher.
So yesterday, I showed you the gallon jug that was full and today I got my car as level as i could possible get and when I opened the overflow 5.5 cups came out. So since they overfilled for sure in my mind, I went ahead and drained in all and I got out 18 cups. Then I checked my dipstick for my oil and it had some filthy oil in it and I had just changed the oil, So, I am draining the oil now and going to see how much is there. I am changing the oil right now. I will come back and post how much I found. However, I will be filing a lawsuit on these people. There is no way in hell I would go back there for service. I have not had the opportunity to check the alternator wiring But wait until you see what they gave me so called from the Nissan Consult and maybe it is but it could be for any 2016 altima as that is all that it says nothing says that it is my car
Drinkware Cup Barware Tableware Drink

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Oh I got 5 quarts of nasty oil out of my car. I had just changed right when I got car back from dealer when they put the new tranny in (if they did put a new tranny in) I put only 3.5 quarts of oil in and about 2 oz of Marvel Mystery oil . I just got almost 5 quarts out of my car because what is shown here does not include the filter I did not replace the filter this time
Green Fluid Yellow Cloud Drink

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,673 Posts
So yesterday, I showed you the gallon jug that was full and today I got my car as level as i could possible get and when I opened the overflow 5.5 cups came out. So since they overfilled for sure in my mind, I went ahead and drained in all and I got out 18 cups. Then I checked my dipstick for my oil and it had some filthy oil in it and I had just changed the oil, So, I am draining the oil now and going to see how much is there. I am changing the oil right now. I will come back and post how much I found. However, I will be filing a lawsuit on these people. There is no way in hell I would go back there for service. I have not had the opportunity to check the alternator wiring But wait until you see what they gave me so called from the Nissan Consult and maybe it is but it could be for any 2016 altima as that is all that it says nothing says that it is my car View attachment 7808
Did you check the fluid level while the engine was idling; it must be so.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Did you check the fluid level while the engine was idling; it must be so.
No I did not. But I did not think that the pouring out of 1.5 qts while engine or tranny was warm was a good thing and then further getting 3.5 quarts out after that

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Aargh, I must've described that procedure in a hundred different places on three websites, I thought it was a given. The car has to be running when using the leveling plug.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Aargh, I must've described that procedure in a hundred different places on three websites, I thought it was a given. The car has to be running when using the leveling plug.
Can still do it. But think i will go to my muffler shop and ask the guys if i can put on the lift

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
But, if car is running to me because of the position of the plug, seems to me that fluid would come out even more. All I know for a fact it in the past, I never used the plug. I got it from the first dealership and drained the fluid about 3 qt 6-7 oz and I just put the same amount back in. That tranny lasted over 150k. So, I still question running or not, why so much tranny fluid put in ??

·
7,673 Posts
But, if car is running to me because of the position of the plug, seems to me that fluid would come out even more. All I know for a fact it in the past, I never used the plug. I got it from the first dealership and drained the fluid about 3 qt 6-7 oz and I just put the same amount back in. That tranny lasted over 150k. So, I still question running or not, why so much tranny fluid put in ??
When the CVT is turned off, a lot of the fluid drains back to the oil pan thus giving you a false fluid level; as to how much drains back can vary. No matter what you've been told by various "so called experts?", the Nissan FSM states to check the fluid level at the specified temperature while the engine is idling. Learn to use the FSM and make use of the overflow plug instead of fooling around with measuring how much you drained/how much to fill. Enough said!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
When the CVT is turned off, a lot of the fluid drains back to the oil pan thus giving you a false fluid level; as to how much drains back can vary. No matter what you've been told by various "so called experts?", the Nissan FSM states to check the fluid level at the specified temperature while the engine is idling. Learn to use the FSM and make use of the overflow plug instead of fooling around with measuring how much you drained/how much to fill. Enough said!
I do not have a way of making sure that my car is perfectly level. I put a level on top of the car but, the top is curved. I tried to get my car into another dealership this morning to pay diagnostics or for a tranny fluid replace but it is a 3 day wait. I have to go to Houston on Monday I cannot leave my car anywhere unless it is just in an out today. When I got my car back, I drained out right at 5 quarts of fluid. I did not put that back in. I left it in the gallon jug and the other jar. I just put in fresh new 3 quarts and 6 to 7 oz. Whether I used the right procedure or not I know for a 100% fact that 5 quarts is too much. I appreciate all of your advice I really do. I am not sure what to do at this point. I want it checked correctly and its too bad that the dealership that I gave all that money to cannot be trusted to do something so simple when you have a lift.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Here's a preferred method for filling the CVT without the use of fancy diagnostic tools:
For a simple drain/fill on a 2013 - present, it takes about 4.25 quarts of the NS-3 fluid; There should be a fill tube with a locking cap that you can see from the top of the engine compartment. Pour in only 4 qts. Now make sure to Fully warm up the CVT by driving the car around slowly for about 30 minutes. Now let it idle. Make sure the car is level! Remove the overflow plug from the overflow port that's under the CVT converter case; it's at an angled position. If fluid comes out, let it continue to come out until it stops during the first "hiccup"; now at this point put the plug back on; the CVT is now full. If no fluid comes out, then slowly pour a little of the fluid in until fluid starts coming out of the overflow port. let it continue to come out until it stops during the first "hiccup"; now at this point put the plug back on; the CVT is now full. Now drive it some more for about 15 minutes or more, then recheck the fluid level while it's idling.
I printed this out so hopefully i can find someone that will let me put my car on their lift

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 · (Edited)
I printed this out so hopefully i can find someone that will let me put my car on their lift
When the CVT is turned off, a lot of the fluid drains back to the oil pan thus giving you a false fluid level; as to how much drains back can vary. No matter what you've been told by various "so called experts?", the Nissan FSM states to check the fluid level at the specified temperature while the engine is idling. Learn to use the FSM and make use of the overflow plug instead of fooling around with measuring how much you drained/how much to fill. Enough sai

·
Registered
55 Posts

Sorry that I jump ,but I really like you guys discussions. I did let my rouge run when i did the drain refill, then there was a plug i opened and it drained out the extra fluid, it did a hick-up and then i tied it back with my mechanic.

Now, some people tell me to help the jerk, change the inside filter and there is a filter for the cooler, they gonna help the jerk more.

Nissan rouge 2014
AWD, 270k KMs on it
tranny acts up after 40 minutes or so driving
only have done a drain refill twice, helped but not cured.
the tranny has a noise when in N or P, but you Drive, it declasses.
P17f2 was there but gone after the drain refill.
I am paranoid, should i replace the TC or the whole tranny? the same labor but different part prices.
leave it like this or dangerous? I do not know what to do

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Ok, I did as you suggested. Initially, when I got car back from dealer, With car warmed up I drained out right at 5 quarts of fluid. I put in 3.6 quarts and drove it at least 600 miles. Yesterday I put in the rest of that quart. So that would be a total of 4 quarts. This morning I drove around for 30 mins or more and then took it to my friends shop and put on the lift and opened the overflow while idling, 1/2 quart came out. So that means at 3.5 quarts it is full. I remember asking the mechanic at the dealer how much fluid he put in the new tranny and he told me that he put in 5.25 quarts. I am wondering now did they actually even replace my transmission or if they could have just replaced the valve body and then charged me for a transmission. It should have a serial number correct? I do have the serial number I believe for the one that just came out. I will need to check. I hope it is a serial number and not just a model number

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Hey will you please still reply to me. I know you are aggravated probably. What is the difference between a 30821M transaxle and a 31020M transaxle and do the transaxles come with the torque converter? Also why would the sticker on top of the transaxle have a different number that what is engraved into the transaxle. The number on the sticker is 3VX0C 21 308 M619666 308M619666

·
7,673 Posts
Sorry that I jump ,but I really like you guys discussions. I did let my rouge run when i did the drain refill, then there was a plug i opened and it drained out the extra fluid, it did a hick-up and then i tied it back with my mechanic.

Now, some people tell me to help the jerk, change the inside filter and there is a filter for the cooler, they gonna help the jerk more.

Nissan rouge 2014
AWD, 270k KMs on it
tranny acts up after 40 minutes or so driving
only have done a drain refill twice, helped but not cured.
the tranny has a noise when in N or P, but you Drive, it declasses.
P17f2 was there but gone after the drain refill.
I am paranoid, should i replace the TC or the whole tranny? the same labor but different part prices.
leave it like this or dangerous? I do not know what to do
Have you had a chance to drop the CVT oil pan? Inspect all the tiny metal particles found on the magnets. The CVT uses a wire screen filter instead of a solid mesh filter. Normally all you need to do is remove the drain plug and do a drain/fill procedure. Most of the time there's no need to replace the filter unless you find debris in the drained fluid that's greater then 1 mm (0.040 in) in size; drain the fluid through a large coffee filter to look for debris. Don't mess with the filter under the beehive, Nissan doesn't recommend ever changing it even if the beehive is replaced. The reason is, CVT's have almost no clutch material and never make "ATF soup" like a conventional A/T. So the filter's primary purpose is only to catch fine metal particles that get through the front pump instead of settling out in the pan. Changing it incautiously or back-flushing the system (never do that!) can both put those particulates back in circulation. You'll be better served to simply drop the pan every couple-three changes and clean it out.

If you find a lot of debris that's larger then 1 mm in size, then the CVT probably has some severe wear of the chain. That being the case, it's best to replace the CVT rather then just the TC. Here's a chart from the FSM that may be of help:

Font Parallel Circle Pattern Symmetry

201 - 215 of 215 Posts