Nissan Forum banner
181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You're quite welcome. I'd pour back in what you took out and check the level using the leveling plug. Take a video, I have a feeling they owe you a tranny.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
You're quite welcome. I'd pour back in what you took out and check the level using the leveling plug. Take a video, I have a feeling they owe you a tranny.
omg WELL they have it and the tranny was the reason i took it there. I put it all back in I had to they told me that if I did not put it back in that I would void the warranty. I gave my service manager all of the pics. I also told him that I had heard that the foamy fluid was an indicator of an overfill. I asked if he could get someone different to fill the tranny if they are to flush and refill because obviously the gut that has done thousands of these, per SM is complacent and is most likely just picking up 4 quarts or whatever quart amount that he may think that it is supposed to use since he has done so many and not really following the Nissan specifications or the procedures for filling the tranny. But, I will be draining it again as soon as i get it back so I can check to see how much comes out. I gave those people 5 thousand dollars. I do not think I deserve to be treated this way. But, I did not buy my car there and I do not get the treatment that maybe they get. But, still it is criminal in my opinion. I did not take it to the dealer that replaced it the last time but, I got 150k plus miles on that tranny because they quoted me 4200 plus tax and fees etc. The dealer I took it too for just the tranny and including the other things was about 300 to 400 cheaper. But, that dealer caused me to burn through the 2 alternators a battery. and has cost me a lot in lost income so far since August 10th, they have had my car 18 to 20 days

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Foamy is very bad, yes.
My worry is that whether they do replace the fluid and flush out the other or not, what they could have already done may have damaged the transmission and the warranty is only 12000 miles or 12 months. That mileage part will only take me 2 to 3 months to burn up. And it if tranny goes out, it will be because of what they did for me at this point.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
How many miles have you logged since replacement? If it was 0.4 qts over and you didn't log more than a couple thousand miles, it's probably okay. In my experience, more than half a quart is where it gets bad in a hurry. Below that it takes some time for real damage to occur.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
How many miles have you logged since replacement? If it was 0.4 qts over and you didn't log more than a couple thousand miles, it's probably okay. In my experience, more than half a quart is where it gets bad in a hurry. Below that it takes some time for real damage to occur.
looking for the tranny replacement receipt I have so many from them and also I am involved in a civil lawsuit with my neighbor so it may be in that huge stack of files. Will post answer when I find it. still looking

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
looking for the tranny replacement receipt I have so many from them and also I am involved in a civil lawsuit with my neighbor so it may be in that huge stack of files. Will post answer when I find it. still looking
Looks like I put about 2800 miles min on the tranny since they replaced it. They kept my car for 8 days when they replaced the tranny. That was $3970 I took it back and they kept it for 8 days when they replaced the alternator and that cost me $850 I took it back on 09/07 this is when I told them that the alternator tested bad at Oriely's, before I took it to them I replaced the battery and the negative battery terminal, and they called me back in 2 hours and said that the alternator was unplugged. and they drove it for 21 miles However the mileage in and mileage out are the same. and invoice says NO WORK DONE. it looks to me like they did not do anything because when I went to have allternator checked at Orielys again today before I drove it in, the voltage regulator in the alternator still tested bad and that is when I realized that the wiring on the alternator connector was different from what it was when I took it to them before they replaced the alternator. So when they replaced the alternator they changed the wiring in the connector and I know why they did that. It is because it it was wired correctly and the way that I had it before they replaced the alternator then the battery light would be on all the time because the voltage regulator is bad in the alternator

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I just dug out my invoice from the first time I replaced the transmission and I did not have the codes that I had on this one. This time I had it replaced, I had the codes P17F1 no noticeable issues driving the car, I just could not clear the codes But, per dealer this these codes have to do with the torque converter and that would be why I had not noticed it jerking.
DEALER TOLD ME THAT THEY GOT THE P17F0 AND P17F2 . But I had only ever got the P17F1.and they charged me for 5 quarts of fluid

However the first time, I had it replaced and had a huge noticeable difference in the way that it was running because it was surging and the check engine light came on. but the code when it failed was PO841 not the pf17 codes. also when they replaced it the first time they charged me for coolant. But this time they did not charge me for coolant because they did not replace it and then they charged me for 6 quarts of fluid and overfilled it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
This sounds like a mess. P17F1 by itself almost never requires a new tranny (just a VB) and you would have seen a P17F2 along with it, so it sounds like they were inventing a reason to replace it. On the other hand, even though P0841 isn't a judder code, it usually is fatal because the culprit is usually the front pump and the TCM can't maintain correct fluid pressure with a bad pump. This is exactly the reason I'm always telling people to demand a copy of the code sheet whenever work is recommended or performed. You're paying for the diag and legally the results are your property in most states, and without it, sorting out the crap surrounding a bad or unnecessary repair can be impossible.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Looks
This sounds like a mess. P17F1 by itself almost never requires a new tranny (just a VB) and you would have seen a P17F2 along with it, so it sounds like they were inventing a reason to replace it. On the other hand, even though P0841 isn't a judder code, it usually is fatal because the culprit is usually the front pump and the TCM can't maintain correct fluid pressure with a bad pump. This is exactly the reason I'm always telling people to demand a copy of the code sheet whenever work is recommended or performed. You're paying for the diag and legally the results are your property in most states, and without it, sorting out the crap surrounding a bad or unnecessary repair can be impossible.
Is it too late to get the code sheet for my car?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Yah, with a tranny or VB replacement the TCM gets reprogrammed, so any codes in it are gone. The only system in the car that stores "historical" codes is the Airbag Brain.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,673 Posts
I drained it about 10 mins after I just drove it for 30 miles. So foamy is bad right?
Yes, foaming is BAD! A good way to kill the CVT quickly. You most likely had an over-full condition. Didn't you follow VStar's suggestion on using the overflow plug to check the fluid level?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
They just called and said they checked everything and the level is right the right fluid the wiring is right on the schematic and all is good, Of course they will not write anything on the work order because he said that if he did that then he would have to charge me 150 diagnostic fee. should I tell them to charge me because i will not have anything written down>

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Yes, foaming is BAD! A good way to kill the CVT quickly. You most likely had an over-full condition. Didn't you follow VStar's suggestion on using the overflow plug to check the fluid level?
I am not the one who filled it. I got a reman at the dealer they replaced it. they filled it i drove it and when i felt i thought a jerk after driving for 30 miles and drained it, what i got out was what i got out of it 4 quarts of the fluid that was in the pics

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Yah, with a tranny or VB replacement the TCM gets reprogrammed, so any codes in it are gone. The only system in the car that stores "historical" codes is the Airbag Brain.
Calling them back and telling them to run the diagnosis and I will pay for it and that i want print out from the Nissan Consult otherwise he told me that my report is not going to tell me that anything because there are no charge.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Looks
DO not abandon me now please. I got home from dealer 10 min ago and i leveled my car by backing up and then driving forward onto the ramps since my driveway slopes down. How long do I need to wait before draining fluid it is hot right now

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Just has to be warm, I think it's 115F minimum. How warm doesn't matter, but the car has to be dead level. Just pop the leveling plug and see what comes out. Should be a trickle and not a gusher.

181 - 200 of 215 Posts