Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nissan Sentra Xe 1998 car is not smooth on the road. It is rather bumpy/jerky.Even on the small uneven road, it pumps and goes down towards drive side.Few days back I took it to mechanic and he told me that ball joint of driver side of front wheel is faulty and needed to replace. And he replaced also. But still it is almost the same.It does not give a good cushoining effect. I do not know the reason. Please some one advise me what to do. Thanks.
Truly yours
Malik

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts
You don't say how many miles on the car
Is it stock ?
Ie lowered or modified suspension?
what other replacements have been made.
Describe the problem more...
Does to thump and bang or does it float and bounce ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ian H. I bought only three years back, today it is 138568 KM. I have no idea wheather the suspensin has been modified or nor? How can I know abot it? It looks that spring/suspension goes down and hit sound comes. It floats. the drive side goes more down ( it tilts towards driver side). Only a week before I changed the right side i.e. driver's side front wheel ball joint with a mechanic. I have not changed any things else. I am planning to change disc and pads of front wheels after a month also.
Thank you IanH once more.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
download the FSM for your year and model
Look up ride height, and check each wheel on a level flat surface.
When did this start ?
I suspect you have a strut and or spring problem. Probably one of them is damaged and caused your ride height to go out of spec, and cause the problems.
Once you have determined the problem take it in and ask specifically for the part at that corner to be inspected.
tell them the ride height spec and what you measured.
If you cant find the spec, measure one side against the other back and front.
I will look for it as well.
good luck.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
here it is

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dear IanH, Thanks. I measured the ride Height.
Hf- 24inch and Hr -24inch also.The vehicle is still bouncy, floaty and even on small ditch/pits it bounce with hitting on bottom with dound.Thank you for help.
Afzal

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Well the stock ride height is closer to 26 inches front and 25 1/4 rear.

So you either have collapsed springs and or spring perches on your struts or lowered aftermarket springs.
It is also a possibility someone cut the original springs to make it lower, then sold it when it didn't work out
Also a bouncing can be due to blown struts. Look for Oil leaks from the struts.

Has it always been like this or did this start after you had the car for a while ?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
what size tires do you have ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This started about a few months before. Earlier it was very comfortable. I use 13" tire.IanH, do you feel that back struts are faulty? or all 4 starts are faulty? what about coils? Do we require to align wheels after changing the struts/suspensions?Tahnks alot
Yours
Afzal

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
It is really hard to tell from here.
where are you located ?
If you are in the USA maybe take it to NTB and ask them to check it over for spring and strut problems.
Take the ride height info with you.
They may of course just try and sell you the farm but its worth a try.
Or a mechanic you trust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello IanH. Hopr u r fine.Now I have decided to change the front strut assembly. Shall I go for KYB GR2 or Monroe strut assembly?Is it also a good idea to replace both the strut mount and the strut boot?What you sguust abot coil replacement? Any good quality coil you suggest. Also give me your suggestions and advices to obserb during replacement.
Thanks & regards.
Yours truly,
Afzal

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Have you determined that its the problem?
If the front is sagged then it could be the spring perch.
have you asked someone to inspect it for you?
if you replace the strut without the spring you may damage the new strut if the spring has sagged.
I would buy the GR2, as a good replacement that's a bit firmer than stock.
If you want more of a stock ride then the Monroe.
As for springs I cant help with aftermarket to give a stock ride.
Nissan springs would be best for a stock ride but expensive.
If the springs are the problem maybe buy some stock ones from someone on the forum who can vouch that they are good. Check the classifieds.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
where are you located ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts