Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok since the other thread got hijacked by yours truely. Lets try this again without all the crap.

Please post up links to comapnies that offer single or twin turbo setups for the 350z's.

Also if there are any other noticable mods that can be shared please contribute.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Touring0350z said:
Ok since the other thread got hijacked by yours truely. Lets try this again without all the crap.

Please post up links to comapnies that offer single or twin turbo setups for the 350z's.

Also if there are any other noticable mods that can be shared please contribute.
if you want to make your 350z really fast... push it ooff a cliff and get a car that will make real power:)

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
White_lightning said:
if you want to make your 350z really fast... push it ooff a cliff and get a car that will make real power:)
Can you respect his wish to keep the thread on topic?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
White_L I will race you after my clutch and you can brake boost all you want boy ;)

As for the single turbo kit. Does anyone have the single T61 kit on their car and daily drive it? Is there a lot of turbo lag with that size turbo on this small of a motor? I know for my g/f's Z and Jen's Z they don't want pure race and don't need turbo lag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MrEous said:
Can you respect his wish to keep the thread on topic?
I was noticed! :D

On topic, what is the largest single turbo that is practical for a 350z? I'm talking street/strip with more of an emphasis on strip. What kind of spooling issues are faced? Is it possible to run a large single (PT-76GTS or PT-88) without nitrous to spool the turbo?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am guessing anything that large will have a hard time spooling without the added effort. There isn't a lot of cubes in the Z motor so unless otherwise proven I would think its too much for a street car but not for a strip car.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Touring0350z said:
White_L I will race you after my clutch and you can brake boost all you want boy ;)

As for the single turbo kit. Does anyone have the single T61 kit on their car and daily drive it? Is there a lot of turbo lag with that size turbo on this small of a motor? I know for my g/f's Z and Jen's Z they don't want pure race and don't need turbo lag.
A single turbo set up is not as efficent as a twin turbo set up for the 350Z (V6 engine). Now if the Z had a inline engine then the single turbo would be highly recommended.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spongerider said:
A single turbo set up is not as efficent as a twin turbo set up for the 350Z (V6 engine). Now if the Z had a inline engine then the single turbo would be highly recommended.
It shouldn't really make an efficiency difference going from twins to a single if the turbos are sized properly. Granted, with a V6 you have the extra expense of fabricating a crossover pipe and merge collector but that's still (generally) cheaper than a second turbo, wastegate and downpipe. Twins also generally take up more room than a big single. If you buy twin turbochargers with integrated wastegates vs. a larger single with an external wastegate it's less of a cost issue and more personal preference. Perhaps it might in certain cases be easier to package small twin turbos in a stock engine compartment than a large single.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
Andrew91GT said:
It shouldn't really make an efficiency difference going from twins to a single if the turbos are sized properly. Granted, with a V6 you have the extra expense of fabricating a crossover pipe and merge collector but that's still (generally) cheaper than a second turbo, wastegate and downpipe. Twins also generally take up more room than a big single. If you buy twin turbochargers with integrated wastegates vs. a larger single with an external wastegate it's less of a cost issue and more personal preference. Perhaps it might in certain cases be easier to package small twin turbos in a stock engine compartment than a large single.
Think about it? In a V6 there will be unequal length pipping= lag. Not only that cylinder temp will vary becuase of the pipping making it inefficient unlike a inline. Do you get it now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spongerider said:
Think about it? In a V6 there will be unequal length pipping= lag. Not only that cylinder temp will vary becuase of the pipping making it inefficient unlike a inline. Do you get it now?
I'm not sure that unequal length piping will cause any significant lag. Turbos are spooled by exhaust velocity as well as heat energy. If you were to ceramic coat mild steel exhaust or use 321 stainless, you will keep a large percentage of the heat in the exhaust stream and thus the velocity will remain high. How many feet/second does exhaust move at WOT, and does an extra 2 feet of piping really make a difference?

If unequal length piping caused that much of a problem then people wouldn't use log style or unequal length headers in their turbo systems. I'm building a smallblock ford engine with unequal stainless headers and a single PT-106 and yes, there will be some delay in spooling the turbo, but it will be because of the large turbine housing (won't cause excess backpressure on the top end of the track and will not limit power production as a result) and compressor wheel size, and not a function of it being a single turbo system as opposed to a dual turbocharger kit.

Taking this to the extreme, you can examine the single turbo F-body kit where the turbocharger is located near the rearend of the car. While power production is limited by the exhaust energy that can be delivered to the turbine (extremely long pipes dissipate heat) proper sizing of the turbine housing causes spool rpm to be quite reasonable for a street car.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
Single turbo is still better in the V6 case. There is a single turbo kit available for the Z33 as of right now. Problem is you can't boost to much on stock internals so the Greddy TT kit will be best(while on the stock bottom end). In fact I would only recommend the Greddy TT kit as far as turbo kits. S/Cs don't make the power the turbo kits make, and from personal experience anything other then the Vortex S/C is crap.

Stay away from Stillen there parts aren't making power on the dynos like they have been claiming.

I personally know Doug and am friends with two of the guys at Crawford Z that are working on the new parts. And very very soon Crawford will be making a "tune-up" kit that will make atleast 300rwhp NA.

As far as everyone here being ricers alot of us are far from it.

And if I was in Dallas I would be game as soon as my Z is back on the road. But I think I can get a TT in Dallas to race your FRC.

Also what mods do you have done to it? One of my friends is either getting an FRC Vette or an SS here pretty soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JAMESZ said:
Single turbo is still better in the V6 case. There is a single turbo kit available for the Z33 as of right now (while on the stock bottom end). Problem is you can't boost to much on stock internals so the Greddy TT kit will be best. In fact I would only recommend the Greddy TT kit as far as turbo kits. S/Cs don't make the power the turbo kits make, and from personal experience anything other then the Vortex S/C is crap.

Stay away from Stillen there parts aren't making power on the dynos like they have been claiming.

I personally know Doug and am friends with two of the guys at Crawford Z that are working on the new parts. And very very soon Crawford will be making a "tune-up" kit that will make atleast 300rwhp NA.

As far as everyone here being ricers alot of us are far from it.

And if I was in Dallas I would be game as soon as my Z is back on the road. But I think I can get a TT in Dallas to race your FRC.

Also what mods do you have done to it? One of my friends is either getting an FRC Vette or an SS here pretty soon.
Thank you for the input.

I have mildly ported heads, fairly large cam on a non aggresive Lunati grind so it drives like a small cam and makes power like a bigger cam, LG Pro exhaust, vararam intake and LS6 intake manifold. Everything else is stock. It made 421/385 through cats with my previous heads. I make more mph with the smaller heads now in the 1/8mile so I must have increased area under the curve or peak hp still untuned. I'm leaning towards the 430/390 mark after I get the clutch in and have time to retune the car. There will be a tuned 150 shot on top of the N/A after the clutch goes in. Oh yeah and the cats are coming off this time around.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Touring0350z said:
Thank you for the input.

I have mildly ported heads, fairly large cam on a non aggresive Lunati grind so it drives like a small cam and makes power like a bigger cam, LG Pro exhaust, vararam intake and LS6 intake manifold. Everything else is stock. It made 421/385 through cats with my previous heads. I make more mph with the smaller heads now in the 1/8mile so I must have increased area under the curve or peak hp still untuned. I'm leaning towards the 430/390 mark after I get the clutch in and have time to retune the car. There will be a tuned 150 shot on top of the N/A after the clutch goes in. Oh yeah and the cats are coming off this time around.
So right now you're making about as much much power as a Z06. Which we all know the LS6 is a bit underrated..... ;) Don't get me wrong, I like corvettes as much as any sports car lover, it just doesn't happen to be my personal choice for modding. Mostly due to money constraints. I'm pushing right about 300 Hp now for a grand total of about $100, so I think I'm doing pretty good in the power/money spent ratio, considering it had 200 Hp to start with. :cheers:

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Thats quite a bit more then a Z06. 70mph up must be insane on your car.
405 to 430ish Hp isn't that big a jump. The LS6 had the same Hp as the final year ZR1 LT5 motor, last year. I beleive the early model Z06s had 385 hp.......And the LS1/LS6s were underrated a bit, maybe about 5-7% or a bit more. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
JAMESZ said:
Thats quite a bit more then a Z06. 70mph up must be insane on your car.
You are correct. My daily is a 2002 Z06. Stock it made 353 rwhp (comes out to 415 bhp if you assume 15% loss). I have since put TPIS longtubes, magnaflow off road x pipe, borla stilnger catback, and a vortex ram air intake. In that configuration it dynoed 377 rwhp without tuning (autotap showed 22 degrees total timing, people typically run 28-29 with these cars so I'm hoping for close to 390 rwhp tuned). Touring's car walks away from mine, though I did beat him at the local 1/8 mile track on a holeshot (he was getting ready to come around me big time though - 1/4 mile he would have owned me)! :cool:

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Andrew91GT said:
You are correct. My daily is a 2002 Z06. Stock it made 353 rwhp (comes out to 415 bhp if you assume 15% loss). I have since put TPIS longtubes, magnaflow off road x pipe, borla stilnger catback, and a vortex ram air intake. In that configuration it dynoed 377 rwhp without tuning (autotap showed 22 degrees total timing, people typically run 28-29 with these cars so I'm hoping for close to 390 rwhp tuned). Touring's car walks away from mine, though I did beat him at the local 1/8 mile track on a holeshot (he was getting ready to come around me big time though - 1/4 mile he would have owned me)! :cool:
Any plans to upgrade to a C6 Z06 when they pop up? Should be soon.......

500 Hp, stock, will be insane. :crazy:

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
405 to 430ish Hp isn't that big a jump. The LS6 had the same Hp as the final year ZR1 LT5 motor, last year. I beleive the early model Z06s had 385 hp.......And the LS1/LS6s were underrated a bit, maybe about 5-7% or a bit more. :)
I am assuming he is talking about 430hp to the wheels...not crank. The 405hp figure for the Zo6s was at the crank...so about 350 to the wheels. I know I'd feel a difference if my engine jumped +80whp.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts