Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Driver
736 Posts
I think it had higher compression because of the higher octane fuel in Japan. I think the JDM version had less emissions equipment too, but not sure.

·
Registered
143 Posts
it has more HP but overall i dont think its worth swapping..might as well go with an sr20de or if you really want some power a DET

1,267 Posts
Arsenal200SX said:
it has more HP but overall i dont think its worth swapping..might as well go with an sr20de or if you really want some power a DET
But swapping that Ga16de would be very simple and very cheap compared to any SR engine. It would be as simple as getting the engne, maybe the ecu, and just drop it in. An SR swap is a lot more expensive and complicated, you'll need the engine, transmission, ecu, wiring harness, halfshafts, etc....etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What do u guys think about swapping some JDM parts into our US spec GAs? How about those higher compression pistons or the better flowing head? Only if it's cheaper than having the mods done to our parts in the US. Do you think it will be worth it?

·
Driver
736 Posts
If I was to dig into the engine to raise compression and modify the head, I'd just do it with parts available in the US, like forged pistons and a DPR head. Less hassle getting the parts and more power gain(the JDM has what, only 15hp more than the US version).

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
barnoun said:
If I was to dig into the engine to raise compression and modify the head, I'd just do it with parts available in the US, like forged pistons and a DPR head. Less hassle getting the parts and more power gain(the JDM has what, only 15hp more than the US version).
well it's a pretty good idea. the only thing is the egr system... i don't think the JDM have the same emissions equipment as us...

J

·
0 Posts
Once the JDM engine is in. The next problem would be getting parts. Aftermarket and Stock. Most Parts people are dumb enough, just imagine trying to get Japanese parts from Nissan. Isn't that an oxymoron or something?

Jason

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
That's not a problem. JDM just means it's sold over there. We have the GA16DE here too so you can get all the same parts at your local Nissan, other than the slight differences that is. say you need a spark plug, a PCV valve, a oil filter... those things are all the same... now if you need a new exhaust valve(s), then you'll have more trouble.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Where would we be able to get a JDM spec GA16 at anyways?? And for how much?? For the cost of the engine and the ECU you could probably buy enough parts to get you those 15 HP so in the end it wouldnt be worth it.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
JDM

also about the expected power gain, would japanese high octane fuel have a very significant effect?? and if the jdm engine is compatible with the current us spec harness? or if it will, but very doubtful, pass state emissions???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts