Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay..this is the first time, I am going to change oil and filter on my '02 Nissan Altima, myself..Have never done it on any cars before, so my question is, is the 2 ton bottle neck jack safe enough?? And Of course, I'll put some bricks by the back tires so the car won't roll. Also, is lifting car from one side with a jack is good enough to get to the filter and the oil pan?

any other tips for the fist time oil changer???

thanks in advance guys..

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Do not get under your car unless it is on jack stands or ramps. Use a jack to lift it so you can place the jack stands. I would not trust my life to a jack, especially a hydraulic one (because they leak down).

Lew

·
Registered
89 Posts
A bottle jack is not enough. it will lift the vehicle but you couldnt pay me to get under it. get at least 1 jack stand. Lift the vehicle from the pass side. you may have to turn the wheel slightly. real easy procedure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BadBoy91 said:
A bottle jack is not enough. it will lift the vehicle but you couldnt pay me to get under it. get at least 1 jack stand. Lift the vehicle from the pass side. you may have to turn the wheel slightly. real easy procedure

Cool..I saw one stand at Autozone for like $11, 2 tone jack stand..I am glad you guys told me, else I would have bought the jack..and not the stand.

thanks..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not a problem, for gods sake dont jepordize your life to change your oil man.

·
A Passerby
176 Posts
These guys are absolutely right. Where I work we had a patient recently who was working under his car with only a jack and no secondary supports. His jack gave out and the brake disc landed on his thigh and literally shattered his femur. (It also broke a metal rod he had in his femur from a previous accident.) I'm not sure how his surgery went, but I suspect he lost the leg.

Please, ALWAYS have a stable secondary support while working under a car.

·
I miss good ol' OT
1,716 Posts
eleuthardt said:
Get some ramps, $15 @ Pepboys and they will even work when you lower your ride. With the Prokits on, I can't get a jack under her.

I have the hardest damn time getting mine up on the blocks. I have to punch this shit out of it to keep it from just pushing the ramps forward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts