Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
january 2nd i put in my new aem cold air intake in my 05 spec-v. i followed directions and i everything went smoothly... until i started it. my car wasnt breathing right. the rpms went crazy, and it was idling really funny until it would just die. so i thought maybe i just had to drive it around. so i did, but the funny thing was that i couldnt go above 2500 rpms... and if i tried, my car sounded like it was going to blow up. i pull back in my garage and took out the whole thing and put it back on. everything was tightened right, and the mas air flow censor was in place. can anyone help?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
which way is the arrow pointing on the MAF?

unplug your battery for 10 mins or so to reset the ecu, and make SURE the MAF is pointing in the right direction.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
dosent the maf only go in one way? meaning you need an adaptor on one side and a sleeve on the other? make sure it is pluged in tightly, i know with my car (tho it is a b14) the plug dosent allways want to snap in. also the filter wouldnt have any type of shrink wrap or anything on it of that nature would it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i finally got it... i found out that the older sentras censor can face any direction like hondas...in the newer sentras the censor has to face a certain way so all i had to do was to turn it around. it took me forever to figure out something so freakin simple. now my car sounds like a wrx... you can hear the cvtc scream at 5000 rpms. thanks guys!

·
RAWRscareh
604 Posts
^ lol isnt that what mike said?
glad ya got it fixed.

hmm, hearing cvtc from 5000 up? i thought you didnt notice cvtc as much, since it was continuous. i know in my 1.8, you feel and hear the timing advance (right around 4500rpm or so, if my ear serves me right)...i didnt think it was quite as sudden in the cvtc motors.

·
8,328 Posts
nissanchik...hondas don't have MAFs. they have MAP sensors.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you have any problems with 'detination' on your 05 spec V with the air intake system?

cuz with the 05's spec V's will retard the engine when it senses 'detination'. . . and increased horsepower leds to 'detination'. . .

and i don't think the knock dummy sensors work for the 04-05's . . . or am i wrong ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jasper said:
^ lol isnt that what mike said?
glad ya got it fixed.

hmm, hearing cvtc from 5000 up? i thought you didnt notice cvtc as much, since it was continuous. i know in my 1.8, you feel and hear the timing advance (right around 4500rpm or so, if my ear serves me right)...i didnt think it was quite as sudden in the cvtc motors.
Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System
Nissan's Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS) electronically measures throttle position, vehicle speed and engine rpm, then adjusts the moment each valve breathes in. And it does this throughout the power band — from that first boost off the line to when you approach redline. Response time and efficiency are optimized. Power and torque, too.

·
8,328 Posts
skatehard90 said:
Do you have any problems with 'detination' on your 05 spec V with the air intake system?

cuz with the 05's spec V's will retard the engine when it senses 'detination'. . . and increased horsepower leds to 'detination'. . .

and i don't think the knock dummy sensors work for the 04-05's . . . or am i wrong ?
detonation isn't caused by increased horsepower.

detonation is caused by using lower octane gas which can cause hot spots and preignition of the fuel before spark is activated.

higher octane gas is recommended in the manual because higher octane gas burns slower and therefore prevents detonation.

the 04 knock sensor is perfectly fine and does its job properly. No need to screw with it. Any car with a knock sensor will retard timing when detonation occurs.

Please do some more research before making statements like that next time ;)

·
8,328 Posts
Jasper said:

wrong and wrong.

1) CVTC isn't what you hear at 5000rpm. it's the butterfly valves opening up the secondary intake runners.

the next person I hear say they "hear cvtc" and KNOW what cvtc stands for is gonna get slapped.

2) Jasper, what you hear at 4500rpm is the slight butterfly in the QG opening fully to allow full flow into the engine from the intake manifold. NOT nvtc.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
chimmike said:
wrong and wrong.

1) CVTC isn't what you hear at 5000rpm. it's the butterfly valves opening up the secondary intake runners.

the next person I hear say they "hear cvtc" and KNOW what cvtc stands for is gonna get slapped.

2) Jasper, what you hear at 4500rpm is the slight butterfly in the QG opening fully to allow full flow into the engine from the intake manifold. NOT nvtc.
I thought the secondaries opened at 5200? ;)

·