Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 97 200SX SE-R 5 Speed and I'm having a few issues. I'm new to this platform so any help would be appreciated.

1) When accelerating hard at around 4k RPMs the power of the motor will sometimes cut out causing the vehicle to bounce. If I accelerate more smoothly and conservatively it does not do this. I'm thinking it is maybe a fuel pressure problem. Do these engines have multi-stage intake? Perhaps it isn't engaging properly.

2) Very stiff clutch. The previous owner had just replaced it himself a few days before. As soon as I release the pedal from the ground it engages, there is no play at all. It is a normal OEM replacement clutch.

3) I hear a lot of suspension noise under the front end. It is especially noticeable when taking a hard left or hard right turn. Both CV boots look good though, it sounds like something is loose.

Thanks for your time and for any help.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts
1) No the SR motors are vanilla, my guess is a lose connection somewhere. Check for codes ? even if the CEL isn't on yet.
2) check the free play at the clutch actuating Arm. There should be 0.25 free play, but I run as little as 1/8. Also the clutch cables get old and hard to operate. don't
waste your money on an after market, get a Nissan one from the dealership. they are better, search and you will see what others have found.
3) Hard to tell from here !!! Check wheel bearings, take off the brake pads and caliper, the hub should be tight, no play, not loose, and turn with a little resistance.
Since this is an Sr check the passenger side intermediate axle bearing housing. three bolts hold it in place. make sure its tight.
Check or have checked the steering and bottom ball joints.
Also the anti roll bar end links.
Download the 97 FSM. see link below if it doesn't work PM me and i will send you my private storage link.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Since posting this I realized #1 was a leak in the air intake tube because of dry rotting. #3 was exactly what you said, front sway bar end links.

As for #2 I will try your suggestions, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The ball joints typically gone bad for a 10 plus year old car. Just try to replaced as much of the front bushing as you can..they are very cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts