Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i'm new here, i actually have a '98 maxima but i express extreme interest in the new se-r spec v, mainly because i used to own a sentra('90 4 speed manual). but anyways, i don't know if this is allowed or not (it's not at maxima.org except on weekends), but i have this friend who is very modest about his is300, but he absolutely refuses to believe that a spec v will beat it. i'm jsut wondering, i know there is a HUUUUUGE weight difference (spec v 2770::: is300 3300), and the spec v has 6 speed with lsd, but his came with lsd too. so what do you guys/girls think? i can hang with him in my max, i wish it was stick cause then i'd woop him. thanks in advance
Xx Ruckus xX

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
I'm pretty sure that a Spec can take down an IS300. I've read about a few kills by Spec V owners over at Freshalloy.com who have shown that Lexus owner that a $18K 4 Banger can take down their 30K(?) Inline 6.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it should be pretty close but I really don't know the average times IS300s run stock. I thought it was low 15s, which should be in Spec V territory.

·
Registered
254 Posts
IMHO using my inner ear i would say that the is300 would pull away. Last time i checked it was a 6 speed too, and it put alot of that 220hp to the wheels. heavy yes, but after ya hit 3rd or 4th gear i think he would start edging you out.

someone go try it out! ;)

EDIT: wickedsr knowing more than me, voids my comment. IGNORE ME :p

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
If the Spec V has a good driver, it's a hands down winner. A Spec V gave me a very close race before I got my cams, and I would take down IS300's w/o a problem, so I would give the advantage to the Spec V easily.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
race and find out... but the IS300 would win.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
I dont know but my friend has a 99 integra GS-R who at the time about i'd say in April only had an AEM CAI raced my teacher who has a new IS300 stock. He beat him by a little by about half a car length.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lexus IS300

Horsepower 215 @ 5800 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 218 @ 3800 RPM

5 Speed
0.29 drag coefficient (for comparison, the G/XE's are .33, 350Z's are .28)
3255 pounds (manual)

Power to weight ratio:
IS300 15.1:1 Rounded to nearest tenth
Spec 15.7:1 Rounded to nearest tenth

Given equal drivers, I'd say the IS300. Maybe you guys that beat them just beat the drivers. I really like the IS300's.

If you wanna see where I got the stats from, check out Carpoint

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
someone go try it out!
Been there and done that in turbocharged form and they are by no means, slouchy. The IS300 would win if the drivers both know what they're doing. Even on the top end, the IS wins. I like the Spec (Lord know I really love the car), but this might be a big battle. I say, give it a swing and let us know.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW, most (and I mean almost all of them) IS300s are automatics. There are a very few manual IS300s, but I've never seen one outside of a car show. So take that into consideration when calculating power/weight ratios, and just know that the IS300 is giving up more HP through the tranny than the Spec V is.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
I re-read the post to see if he specified if it was an auto or manual. He did not specify so let's try and assume it is one of the latest models with the manual tranny. He's going to be in for a good run. If it's an auto, Zak you're absolutely correct and he will win this battle. I still say he needs to race him and then let us know the results.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Wont Be Beat said:
I hate it when people say shit like this. Analize it, and you will know what I'm talking about.
"Analize" your own statement: a 4 cyl CAN beat a 6 cyl and an $18K car CAN beat a $30K car.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
I've read about a few kills by Spec V owners over at Freshalloy.com who have shown that Lexus owner that a $18K 4 Banger can take down their 30K(?) Inline 6.
This is stealthb14's observation and that's that so get over it. Why make little booty comments like:
I hate it when people say shit like this. Analize it, and you will know what I'm talking about.
Why you always hatin'? What's wrong, man? This is not the place to be hatin' and we here in cyber-land could care less about your likes and dislikes especially when it's not informative or beneficial to the topic. I mean sometimes you talk some good talk and sometimes you just go astray. If owning that honda accord STS I mean now 92 prelude w/4ws makes you hate like that, then you should consider looking at another car manufacturer like subaru or chrysler or maybe even the Nissan because you sure as hell fight with alot of nissan enthusiasts. I told you it's something about some people owning hondas that spook the hell out of me. It's like they're posessed to the point whereas they say or do some stupid crap.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
a 4 cyl CAN beat a 6 cyl and an $18K car CAN beat a $30K car.
Centurion, I couldn't agree with you more. Just because they go out and spend X amount of $$$'s on a vehicle doesn't mean it's going to be a street demon. Whereas the average 4cylinder including honda owners go out and spend $10,000 in mods as opposed to already spending $18,000 on a specified vehicle will have a bad @ss 4cylinder (period). That's that person's preference and if he/she wants be out racing their 30 something K car against a 4cylinder and end up getting smoked, that's just too [email protected] bad. You bought it, you drive it! You reap what you sew:mad:

·