Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend says hes gonna hook up a turbo and a supercharger. i think he says hes gonna run the turbo through the supercharger. is this possible, because it sounded like bullshit to me.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
hondakillerZX said:
my friend says hes gonna hook up a turbo and a supercharger. i think he says hes gonna run the turbo through the supercharger. is this possible, because it sounded like bullshit to me.
It can and has been done, at least one rally car has used such a setup in recent times. I've seen it on street cars before as well. Usually done with a fairly low displacement supercharger to enhance low end torque, with the turbos coming up in the midrange and top end. The turbos provide the air inlet to the supercharger so theres no chance of wasting turbo boost pressure. I hope he has very strong engine internals, such a setup can exceed 30-40 psi. Depends on the turbo boost settings and the supercharger pulley size, of course.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
It's possible but your talking about way over 10K to fabricate everything up. That doesn't even come close to adding in shop times to dyno and get everything tuned. Tell him to snap back to the real world and just turbo or supercharge his car.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
We all know it's possible. Thing is, I think your buddy is talking out his ass and doesn't really know how something like that is set up.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
And really, with turbo and supercharger internal designs such as they are these days, doublecharging is not necessary. Either system alone will make for a powerful streetable car. More than 10 years ago, when doublecharging was first attempted, turbos were more peaky and superchargers were more low end, so it made sense back then . Now, it doesn't.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mistu did it back in the days...

they had a V6(least i recall it was) that was turboed then supercharged.. blower gave 6 psi.. turbo gave 10 psi... combined.. the engine received around 60psi of boost... amazing performances were acheived with thsi setup.. unfortunately.. the finely crafted internals simply could not function under these stresses and would fail after only a couple of runs.. it was meant for rallying.. and although it simply blew everything out of the water.. it also blew everything out of the engine compartment as well.. too often.. too far from the finish line to coast past it... keep in mind.. had they pushed their car past the finish line.. they had enough of a lead in most cases to actually win... but with reliability problems (never thaught id say that about japanese engines) that plagued this system.. its hardly something one of us mere mortals could juggle with daily... heck.. not even on the weekends...

... so great.. you pull 3 car lenghts on ANYTHING that pulls up besides you at a light... too bad your walking before you get to 2nd gear hehehe

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
60psi of boost? WTF?

before posting a claim like that, I suggest you learn what you're talking about.

·
Registered
56 Posts
chimmike said:
60psi of boost? WTF?

before posting a claim like that, I suggest you learn what you're talking about.
i wish i had the article in front of my eyes..or scanned to show you... but one does NOT forget a number like that!

·
Registered
56 Posts
James said:
i think if you run a super/turbo or any compressor in series the second turbo will compress the air above what the first one has.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0312_turbo/index2.html
that backs me up though.. the part about coumpounding the boost.. multiplying it fomr the first to the 2nd turbo...

i guess i should have mentionned in my post.. that the blower ALONE would have given 6psi.. and the turbo ALONE would have given 10psi.. the way i wrote it seemd out of wack when i read it again hehe my bad.. but the final 60psi boost .. that i remember

·
Registered
56 Posts
James said:
did I say I was contradicting your statement?
hehe no sorry.. was the only way i could think of getting that link in my reply..

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
There are people running around 60 pounds of boost in costa rica or puerto rico (I don't remember), but the engine lasts 2 or 3 quarter mile passes...

·
Atheist Libertarian
669 Posts
I gotta wonder what kind of intercooling is used to handle the heating of the intake charge in a turbo + super set up. Also, why would you want to boost in such a convoluted way, when larger displacement would get the job done better?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ideally in a staged compression setup (in this case, 2 stages: turbo first, blower second), each stage has identical pressure ratios and an intercooler after each stage. This will maximize efficiency. Well, maybe not quite as the turbo and blower will have different efficiencies but thats the general theory.

·
Registered
56 Posts
captain_shrapnel said:
I gotta wonder what kind of intercooling is used to handle the heating of the intake charge in a turbo + super set up. Also, why would you want to boost in such a convoluted way, when larger displacement would get the job done better?
good point.. but some race classes limit engine displacement... no idea why limit displacement but allow this type of inductions though..

·
Pivot 180
2,258 Posts
Super turbo charging was implemented to bypass the problem of turbo lag before the invent of ball bearing CHRA turbos. There were a few dual charge cars released in the marketplace - Nissan Micra Super Turbo being one of them. I believe it ran some kind of sophisticated switching system rather than a compound system.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Joel said:
Super turbo charging was implemented to bypass the problem of turbo lag before the invent of ball bearing CHRA turbos. There were a few dual charge cars released in the marketplace - Nissan Micra Super Turbo being one of them. I believe it ran some kind of sophisticated switching system rather than a compound system.
that interesting enough... let alone in a tiny featherweight of a car hehehe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.