Nissan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy I met is offering to sell me his rims and tires for $60. They are either 17' or 18'. They're yellow and my car is white but I can paint them. Two of the tires are in medium to low condition but the other two are in better shape. He said that the rims have a dent around the edge or something and they begin to shake slightly when going faster than 50mph.
With the problems that they have are the worth my money or should I just wait and save up to buy new rims? I'm going to buy new rims in about 6 months these are just to tide me over for now. Don't have any pics of them though.
Good deal or no?
Thanks in advance. (Hope this is in the right section)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Save your money, it's like they say a good deal like this is too good to be true. You'll encounter more problems down the road with a dented rim, unless you're willing to spend the money to get the dented rims repaired.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I'm not sure if they are dented or not. All I know is that he said they shook a bit when going over 50mph. I can't remember why he said that I think he said they were dented but Im not sure.
The guy said theyve been sitting in the back of his shop for awhile now because he bought some new black rims for his honda and didn't need them anymore. He said that was the only prob with them so I'm trying to debate whether this is a really good deal or a scam, even if they shake a bit 60 bucks is pretty good. But is there anyway I can tell if he is trying to rip me off?

Plus how much would it cost to get the dent repaired? And how much would it cost to have them painted white, and how much would 4 new tires be?

Trying to decide if its cheaper to paint and repair these or just buy new rims with tires.
thanks again

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you are experiencing vibration over 60 mph, it's a sign of the wheels not being true(straight). Depending on how bad the dent could be on the wheel and if all 4 are in need of repair, it won't be worth it to repair the wheels unless you really value the wheel(old school wheels that aren't produced anymore or wheels that are sought after).

I've got a set of old skool 17's Racing Hart Tracers 2 piece wheels that are in badly need of repair and one 18 inch Racing Hart CP-035 that has a small crack. Got a quote from wheel collision center in PA and for a set of 4 wheels to be refinished it would cost me 140-200 a wheel. The Tracers when I bought them new were 400 a piece new which was in 98. WCC will refinish my wheels(paint, powder coat, polish or chrome) and straighten any dents or repair any stress fractures. I'm sure there are other wheel repair places in the US but WCC is a very respectable well known wheel repair shop in the tuning circles.

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
its just 60 bucks man. If they're cool wheels then do it. You can just paint them with Duplicolor wheel paint, whatever color. And the vibration could be that the wheels need to be balanced and/or the alignment need to be fixed. Try to get some pics up of the rims.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright Ill try to get some pics up of them, see if I can borrow my friends digital camera, thanks for the help guys.
Im going to talk to the guy again today and take a more detailed look at them. Then I can hopefully tell you what exactly is wrong with them and see if its worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news, I had the rims looked at by the local wheel shop and they gave me the ok on them. The shaking that the guy was experiencing was due to him having his car lowered with airbags and poor suspension. I put them on my car and they ran nearly as smooth as my stock wheels, even when going about 85mph. Going to paint them either today or tomorrow. Can't decide whether I want to have them done professionally or do it myself. A friend of mine said that his buddy at a motorcycle shop could paint them for $150, is that a good deal? I would just do it myself but I'm worried that they won't look very good. I've gotta grab some new tires for them soon too, whenever I save up the money.
Looks like this deal wasn't too good to be true afterall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got done painting the wheels the other day and got them put on today. I'm not sure whether to be happy or disappointed. The paint doesn't match the car. The wheels are off-white even after me putting 3 primer coats, 5 paint coats and 2 clear coats on them. I used dupli-color white gloss wheel paint. Spent 6 hours on these things. Didn't work out too well I guess....:(
I'm debating on whether or not these are worth the trouble. Somebody wants to buy them from me for 100 bucks. That'd be a 40 dollar profit which would cover the cost of the paint and sand paper and stuff. So I really wouldn't gain anything. I worked pretty hard on these things though so I really don't want to sell them. But they are giving me a headache. The more I look at them the more I wish I'd never stumbled across them in the first place.
Maybe I'll just keep them for a few months until I save up enough to buy some new ones. I dont know what to do.
I'm getting them balanced tomorrow, if they don't ride a lot better then I'll probably sell them. They ride like hell right now because they aren't balanced.
Just updating, Ill sleep on it and make my decision tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.