Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hang out wit yo Wang out!
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my system with a friend about 2 weeks ago. We did a pretty good job, but the only problem is my lights dim incredibly at night time. I have a 12" woofer pushing close to 400 watts. I'm getting a Capacitor to store more power, but will my altenator be able to handle it, and will my lights still DIM when the bass hits? Some say yes and some say no. I need one of my fellow enthusiast opinions. Let me know. Thanx!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm running 1500+ fosgate watts (true power) to my system with a 3 farad, my lights still dim, but I have checked my alternator out several times, and seems to be holding up just fine, so with a cap, you should be fine

·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kbrassfi said:
I'm running 1500+ fosgate watts (true power) to my system with a 3 farad, my lights still dim, but I have checked my alternator out several times, and seems to be holding up just fine, so with a cap, you should be fine
Thanx dogg, that's way more power than mine. I should be straight then.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Another thing you may consider is to simply upgrade your wire between your alternator and battery (4 gauge or better) and also on your ground from battery (use same gauge as + into battery for ground) That can actually give you up to a volt and a half of current. That may not sound like much...but if you have an amp with a regualted power supply (which about 90% of amps are)...then it can make a huge impact.

As far as your headlights still dimming, simply install some small capacitors close to your headlights (that is the only sure fire way that your lights will not dim with the current draw)...although capacitors do help some.

I have an Alpine MRV1507, MRVF307, and MRVT407 running my system on stock alternator. That is well over 1500 watts RMS and the only upgrade I have is the upgraded wire I listed above (which made a huge difference), an Optima Red Top battery, and a few capacitors (3 one-farad monster caps).

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am running 2 Phoenix Gold amps, PG 1 farad Cap and an Optima Yellow top and have no dimming at all. The system is pushing exactly 1000w.

·
Traitor
249 Posts
400 watts is nothing.

Get a new stronger battery, yours might be on its way out. How old is the battery you are running? I have 1200 watts running off my stock alt and an $80 800cc battery. I just installed it yesterday, havent gotten the lights to dim yet. If you still have the dimming problem upgrade the 3 wires SentraStyleEMW mentioned.

A capacitor is simply a band aid, not a complete solution.

·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My battery is about 2 months old Die Hard Gold. I was also told by somebody that a Capacitor doesn't completely take away all the dimming. I'm most likely gonna do the wire upgrade, with the cap, and go with an Optima Red Top!

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Do you have it loud most of the time? I have a 15" with about 650 watts going to it and I have no dimming at all. And yes, the trunk is a piece of shit, Nissan couldnt have made a cheaper trunk. I am hoping to get some money and dynamat my whole car, seeing as how my roof and my door and everything shakes and rattles.

·
Registered
470 Posts
THE TRUNK RATTLE IS RIGHT, WITH EVEN A SMALL SYSTEM, THE CAR RATTLES LIKE HELL, I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE NAMED THE CAR MORE APPROPRIATELY THE RATTLE BOX, I'VE NEVER SEEN A CAR RATTLE SO MUCH WITH SUCH EASE, I'VE HAD OLDER CARS THAT DON'T RATTLE THIS MUCH :D

·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, I thought my car was the only one that rattled like shit! My car rattles so much, the idle goes up and down when the Bass hits. And yes, only when I have the system up does the lights dim, when I turn it down about halfway the dimming stops.

·
Traitor
249 Posts
DONT DO THAT! :eek: Thats a quick way to kill an alternator! Probably not good for the engine either!

·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honest Bob said:
DONT DO THAT! :eek: Thats a quick way to kill an alternator! Probably not good for the engine either!
Well damn, how do I bump bump without having to worry about the car dying???

·
Traitor
249 Posts
Well, you can bump it up until it starts effecting the idle. What kind of amp is this 400 watt amp? I really doubt that 400W would affect the idle unless maybe you are clipping the amp.

I should have been more clear on that :rolleyes: ;)

·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Pioneer GM962, it's 760watt max power, and about 350 continous. My Volume goes up to 40, the lights start dimming,and effecting the idle at about 25. The speaker is an Orion/Cobalt 400 watt. I know I sound Vague, but I only know the basics about Sound systems. :cool:

·
Traitor
249 Posts
JT200SX-N-FX said:
Pioneer GM962, it's 760watt max power, and about 350 continous. My Volume goes up to 40, the lights start dimming,and effecting the idle at about 25. The speaker is an Orion/Cobalt 400 watt. I know I sound Vague, but I only know the basics about Sound systems. :cool:
Hmmm, are you shure you wired the sub correctly? I had my subs wired uncorrectly and had major dimming.

After a bit of research I am guessing that your 12" Cobalt has two sets of terminals (dual voice coil). Each set should be going to a channel of the amplifier. It should look like this:

Got the pic from

Basic Car Audio Electronics

Also make shure that your positives and negatives are correct.

·
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx for the chart dogg, I checked my setup, and it's right, so it must be the Battery wires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No its not the wires its ur amp....u prolly have an regulated powersupply. Get a class d unregulated powersupply. A good cheap one is jbl bp300.1. u can get one off ebay new for 129. Class D amps for subs use a lot less amps. This amp uses 27amps. Putting a cap on a regulated powersupply wont help. A cap on an unregulated class d amp will see a diff. Phoenix gold amps are as good as jl audio and have great powersupply thats why those people have no problems with dimming.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I HAVE THE BD1000 WHICH HAS THE CLASS D UNREGULATED POWER SUPPLY (CHANGES BASED ON VOLTAGE) AND MY LIGHTS STILL DIM, NOT AS BAD SINCE I ADDED A FARAD, BUT I WILL HAVE TO EITHER UPGRADE ALTERNATOR OR ADD A SECOND BATTERY

1 - 20 of 24 Posts