Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i came to this site and did a little reading, i thought the sr20det swap would be the way to go to get some power into my car.... but after a little research, it would just cost way too much $ and time. my next thought is going with the new hs turbo. adds alot of power and its made for our ga16. but my question is since i have about 90k miles on my car, will this kill my motor? i read on one of these posts that someone wouldnt even concider it unless they rebuilt the motor. its a daily driver, almost paid off and i kinda wanna keep it for a while.
any help would be great

thanks again everyone
scott

·
hYpNoTiC
370 Posts
I feel the same way as 200sxpower, and the thing is NOT TO SOUND STUPID or anything I wish someone makes like a list or something that lets us know where to begin from IF a person was to go TURBO, cuz like a CAI and smaller DIAMETER exhaust you willl need to change later or will not need it at all!!!!

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
I feel the same way as 200sxpower, and the thing is NOT TO SOUND STUPID or anything I wish someone makes like a list or something that lets us know where to begin from IF a person was to go TURBO, cuz like a CAI and smaller DIAMETER exhaust you willl need to change later or will not need it at all!!!!
You could get an underdrive pulley, cams, and JWT ECU. These would be useful before and after getting a turbo. Also a clutch upgrade and a lightened flywheel would be good.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
well there is no list that can cover everyone. some want more power than others. but basically...with a turbo you can't make the exhaust too big. do not buy a header or cai if you are serious about going turbo. you will want to upgrade your fuel injectors, fuel pump, and maybe your fuel rail(depends on the injector size). you would want to either lighten your stock flywheel or buy an aftermarket fly wheel bc it helps boost kick in faster bc of less rotating mass...also upgrade the clutch. i'm not sure how extreme you will have to go with the clutch...but if i ever boosted i would go with the act 6 puck disk and extreme pressure plate. you will definitely want some slicks or drag radials for running at the track. definitely have jwt put the turbo program on your ecu plus the basic service...also cams and the cam program for the ecu. this is all the things i can think of for a basic/mild turbo set up. if you want to go to more extremes then there are more things you need to do. if i left anything out someone chime in.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Katana200sx said:
well there is no list that can cover everyone. some want more power than others. but basically...with a turbo you can't make the exhaust too big. do not buy a header or cai if you are serious about going turbo. you will want to upgrade your fuel injectors, fuel pump, and maybe your fuel rail(depends on the injector size). you would want to either lighten your stock flywheel or buy an aftermarket fly wheel bc it helps boost kick in faster bc of less rotating mass...also upgrade the clutch. i'm not sure how extreme you will have to go with the clutch...but if i ever boosted i would go with the act 6 puck disk and extreme pressure plate. you will definitely want some slicks or drag radials for running at the track. definitely have jwt put the turbo program on your ecu plus the basic service...also cams and the cam program for the ecu. this is all the things i can think of for a basic/mild turbo set up. if you want to go to more extremes then there are more things you need to do. if i left anything out someone chime in.
Totally agree, ppl aren't looking for a list they're looking for easy answers. If you want a 'list' go buy a book, there are plenty on turbocharging and engine development.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
Katana200sx said:
do not buy a header or cai if you are serious about going turbo.
Totally agree. One reason why I have been holding off from getting headers and an exhaust. If I DO get a turbo, I would just be wasting my time and money now by getting new headers. Why not just save the money and stockpile it and put it towards the turbo? IF that's what I am going to get. Gotta wait until the 2nd generation turbo's come out though. That way HS will have most of the kinks worked out of it.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
the hotshot kit comes with a manifold for a t3 right? what i was going to do when i get the cash is buy the kit that comes with everything except the turbo itself, and go find a ballbearing t3/t4. can someone back the size of the flange on the manifold up?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I thought it was a T28 manifold. Maybe the T3 flange also fits on the T28 flange perhaps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
javierb14 said:
10 psi should give u over 200whp....
With cams and nos in addition to the turbo maybe, LOL :). Unless you thought they were talking about the SE-R engine, your bad ;).

If you want the SR20DET, you are better off getting an older SE-R so it would be a more direct bolt on. If you want to stick with the GA16DE engine, get the Hotshot.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
well if you think about it...mike young had boost set at 6 or 7 psi..i think 6...when he made the dyno run everyone knows about. also that was with a small downpipe and 2" exhaust. if you went to a 2.5" or 3" exhaust, and got rid of the cat....imagine how much hp that would free up plus the extra boost you could add with a different maf. i believe 200hp is very reachable. when i first saw that dyno chart i was very discouraged and was going to do the swap. but now that i think about all the mods that were missing to make max hp out of that engine...im seriously considering sticking with the ga platform.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Don't forget chef's 1.6 w/ a custom turbo got 210HP at 11 PSI, so over 200HP with 10 is not completely out of the question.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts