Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get headers and a complete exhaust system for my Se-R and notice that pacesetter makes it all, and it doesn't cost that much at all. That's my only concern. The headers are $120 and the complete exhaust is about $200. Is this product anygood? Does anyone know if there is any significant performance increase with Pacesetter? Let me know....

Javon

·
Registered
547 Posts
Their exhaust is decent. Everyone buys it because it already has the built and bolt-on mandrel bent cat-back bends. They usually use the bends from the cat back and replace the muffler with one of their choice. I think it comes with a resonator but can't remember?

Their headers are....well, not so great. I was thinking about it the other day, would you rather pay 150 or so for some headers that are shitty for fitment but can be fixed with some effort, or pay 380 for some that just bolt on and don't take time to fix. Maybe it's just me, but I love fixing problems. I would probably choose Pacesetter, but there are TONS of problems that must be fixed. Dan has a site that shows all the problems and fixes that must be done. I'll find it somewhere. Or you can search for pacesetter header problems and I guarantee you he made a post in every single one!! lol.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Zexel. People spend way too much on headers and cat-backs. I plan to do the same setup, pacesetter ceramic coated headers and the cat-back. Next spring pacesetter is going to be releasing a stainelss steel header that's under $300. I'd love to get that and do an all stainless exhaust but I don't have access to or know how to TIG weld. There's plenty of other setups out there and you can easily drop $1K for a header and exhaust and see the same gains that a $300 PS setup will get you. Call the folks at www.nopionline.com They have really good prices but are too lazy to keep things in stock, so call them rather than place an internet order. I tried to order like 5 things unsuccessfully from them. But if they have it in stock you're set.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I may have to check out that new PS header for under 300. But even if they do, I may go with the 180 one and just fix some problems. Oh no if it doesn't have best performance out of HhotShot and PS. Maybe 2 hp?!?! Dan would have to disagree, but oh well! I'll have to see.

·
neutral handling is cool
180 Posts
I have a hotshot header and a pacesetter exhaust....both work great. I only had problems when I tried to put new a catalytic converter (magnaflow, which also works great) on...I had to use a plasma cutter to modify the exhaust so it didn't rattle (the catalytic converter was pushing against the side of the cut out for the cat and rattling like hell). The only other adjustment was that one of the hooks on the chassis in the rear was was rubbing against the hanger on the outside of the muffler and making a noise when I turned right...From the Catalytic converter and exhaust (but before i did the header) I gained 9 -12 hp all over the curve. I have personally seen 2 pacesetter headers that rusted through at the bends and because of the O2 sensor I bit the bullet and got the hotshot header. The exhaust sounds great though, but the tip looks kinda ricey because the exhaust is painted black. I am happy with the exhaust though, especially considering the cost of the alternatives. About the Hotshot header though...it's been great. it gave 5-10 hp all over the curve and it was easy to do (with the right tools of course). It looks very nice and is very well made.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about...

What about the pacesetter air intake systems? Are they any good? Are they as good as hotshot air intakes?

·
Registered
547 Posts
As for the intake question...Hotshot pretty much makes the best of everything on our cars. Headers, CAI, Turbo Kit!! I've never heard any reviews of the PaceSetter Intake. But hell, if all you want is a WAI, try it out and tell us what you think. Or save about 75 bucks and make one yourself. I'm going to make a copy of the Place Racing CAI design and build my own in about 2 weeks. I think the only thing that takes the longest is painting it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is the Pacesetter exhaust 100% bolt-on or is there some welding required?

·
Registered
346 Posts
okiedokie

ok dude......for intakes- Place Racing, Hotshot for CAI, Jim Wolf Technology, or Stillen Hi Flow Intakes for WAI
Cat-back Exhausts- Greddy SP or Stromung
Headers- Hotshot Hotshot.......oh yeah did I mention Hotshot?
These are the best products for our cars......quality not quantity my fellow Sentra brother. You wanna do it right the first time right? Well go with the best now and it will save you time, money and headaches later. Pacesetters headers black paint will begin to smoke chip and burn off the first time you fire her up.....thats not cool....and I know thats not what you want cause you got a nice ride. Get the good stuff now dude.......youll be glad you did later.......trust me. Hope this helps Peace!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just for say I did go with the PaceSetter Header and got the black painted, how much would it cost to get it ceramic coated at a place that could ceramic coat it isntead of buying it off PaceSetter like that? Or wait til the black paint chips off and whatever. What does it look like when the black paint chips off? Anyone got any pics?

·
Registered
346 Posts
yo

I think that its just regular mild steel underneath when the black paint chips away. What you could do to save you time and to have a one time install is strip away all the black paint before you install it and get it jet coated. But Im telling you dude go with the good stuff......Hotshot! You dont even need to get it straight from them.....shop around you can get one reasonably priced Im sure somewhere else.

Q

·
0 Posts
Javon said:
I was looking to get headers and a complete exhaust system for my Se-R and notice that pacesetter makes it all, and it doesn't cost that much at all. That's my only concern. The headers are $120 and the complete exhaust is about $200. Is this product anygood? Does anyone know if there is any significant performance increase with Pacesetter? Let me know....

Javon
I have Armor Coated Pacesetter header, no rusting since I live in No Cal. I will upgrade my header after the first of the year. Pacesetter does not have a CARB approval. So you will fail the visual. After reviewing this thread, if you are concerned about $$$$$, go that route (Pacesetter). But if you concerned about fittment and performance go with the HS, HKS and others. Yes they are expensive but they are worth it. Good luck.

Q in Sac

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
pacesetter sucks! they are made in mexico, rust quick, don;t fit and the downpipe did not even have a flex pipe for rattle. The welds broke on the primarys and secondarys and the pipes cracked. I put one on a Toyota for 100.00 but i will never put one on any more! The hotshoT I have is 7 years old and has no problems, the cermaic coating is still there and no issues. I like them alot, they use great welds and fitting for all the O2 sensors and AIR fittings are perfect for mine. Great product!
Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
413 Posts
OK, dont be so quick to judge!
Guys are getting excellent HP gains over on www.sr20deforum.com with the Pacesetter header, air intake, exhaust and bumped timing. And I do mean excellent. Dyno proven! Go check it out in the ALL MOTOR section or search the forum. Tons of threads on the Pacesetter.

sunnysentra said:
pacesetter sucks! they are made in mexico,
Ernt! Wrong answer. ALL Pacesetter products are now made in house in Arizona and have been over approx. 2 years now.

sunnysentra said:
rust quick, don;t fit and the downpipe did not even have a flex pipe for rattle.
Again, ernt! Wrong answer! Fitment was fine. And, if you take some time to remove the black "SHIPPING" paint and paint the header with a $4 can of high temp paint, they DON'T rust.

It is "SHIPPING" paint and there is even a sticker on the header stating that. They actual recommend on the sticker to paint the header with a high temp heat paint.

sunnysentra said:
The welds broke on the primarys and secondarys and the pipes cracked.
I have researched this one many times on several forums. Show me one header for a SR20DE that has not cracked at the primaries. I have heard of Hotshot cracking, flex pipe leaking, AEBS cracking, Stillen cracking, Pacesetter cracking, all of them.

sunnysentra said:
I put one on a Toyota for 100.00 but i will never put one on any more! The hotshoT I have is 7 years old and has no problems, the cermaic coating is still there and no issues. I like them alot, they use great welds and fitting for all the O2 sensors and AIR fittings are perfect for mine. Great product!
Chris 92 classic
Glad it worked out for you. I will agree that the Hotshot is the absolute BEST header out there right now fo the SR20DE and has been fo many years. The 5th gen header kicks major HP and torque ass!

But I'll stick with my $150 Pacesetter w/$4 can of paint and $20 for reinforced welds on the primaries.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think I am going to go with PS headers too. I'm just going to order the black painted ones and then repaint with high temp paint. Even if it makes 2 hp less it's only $125. When compared to $400, what are you really paying for? I just don't think that it is fair for every other car with six or more cylinders to get headers for $300 or less (when they are actually getting two mainfolds) and for us to take it from behind when ordering a four cylinder header. How much of that money is actually spend on R/D, and how much is just making HS's pockets fatter?

·
0 Posts
well pace steer and hot shot are both good companys. myself i perfer hotshot. this is a pic of my header from hotshot, yes its a pretty penny but i think its worth the few extra bux.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts