Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story: I had my car towed today (lifted onto the back of a flatbed truck) because the engine flooded and it wouldn't start. After having new spark plug wires and a new cap and rotor installed, I drove the car about 20 miles without any problems. Then as I pulled out from a a stoplight, the engine revved heavily and the car barely moved. I drove about a mile and came to a stop, only to find that reverse no longer worked. The car revs a lot but hardly moves. I do not drive it hard, I never race and I perform regular maintenance and I have had absolutely no problems until today. This was the first time it ever behaved like that, it came out of the blue and I am afraid I somehow lost the transmission. The car is an automatic and has 105K miles on it. Does anybody with any mechanical experience know what might be wrong?

Thanks!

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
kinda sounds like it.. but toast tastes better than a tranny would;).. hope you get it fixed..

·
Registered
100 Posts
i hope u save, because you are going to need a new tranny. I just blew up my tranny 2 weeks ago, and boy was i pissed. so i know how you feel. good luck!! :(

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
nbkoontz said:
Here's the story: I had my car towed today (lifted onto the back of a flatbed truck) because the engine flooded and it wouldn't start. After having new spark plug wires and a new cap and rotor installed, I drove the car about 20 miles without any problems. Then as I pulled out from a a stoplight, the engine revved heavily and the car barely moved. I drove about a mile and came to a stop, only to find that reverse no longer worked. The car revs a lot but hardly moves. I do not drive it hard, I never race and I perform regular maintenance and I have had absolutely no problems until today. This was the first time it ever behaved like that, it came out of the blue and I am afraid I somehow lost the transmission. The car is an automatic and has 105K miles on it. Does anybody with any mechanical experience know what might be wrong?

Thanks!
I don't know much about automatics, but I would definately check some things before throwing money into a new trans. If I had to guess, I would say check the flexplate. Does it go into every gear besides reverse? If not, maybe the gear packs are shot. Has the fluid ever been changed? Did the car overheat? Hopefully, someone like Lew can help more than I can. I just hate to tell people that they NEED to replace something when it could be a simple problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
its cheaper to replace the transmission than rebuilding it. So if there is a serious problem with your tranny, I would suggest just getting a whole new one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Seems to me that its not the transmission if you have kept up on the maint. and you are the only owner (?). I have a friend with this car with an automatic, it has been neutral dumped more than 10 times, fluid never changed, beaten on when daily driving, and he has no problems whats so ever. The automatic tranny on this car is bulletproof based on what I have seen. I would start with the very simple stuff, cond of fluid, proper amount of fluid (like it was already suggested). If all that is good maybe a shop will give you a decent quote on a rebuild. I think a rebuild is better than a new one, depending on what the shop considers a "rebuild". If you get a very low price then be cautious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Verdict

Since the last post, it has been determined that the transmission is indeed destroyed. I am weighing in on my options right now, but having it rebuilt seems the most likely. More on that in the next day or so. There was one prior owner who had the car before me, but I took over at 45K miles and drove it until 105K when this problem happened. I have always maintained everything, but who knows what the original person did. The car is a rebuild: it was totalled under the first owner and sold to a salvage yard. I bought it had had the car restored. From that point until now, it has been mostly reliable. Oh well. As long as no other major components go out, I'll be happy. I just hope the engine is as bulletproof as the tranny was supposed to have been. lol :cheers:

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
my tranny is going too, sometimes it acts like yours, reving high but bearly moving. Most of the time if i shift it to Neutral and then back to D it will drive somewhat normal. Did you get an estimate on how much it would cost to do a rebuild?

·
Registered
100 Posts
im telling you that buying a new tranny will be cheaper. I got a new tranny installed for a total of $450. I am pretty positive that you won't be able to get a tranny rebuilt for no where near that price, but have fun. Good luck!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bling said:
im telling you that buying a new tranny will be cheaper. I got a new tranny installed for a total of $450. I am pretty positive that you won't be able to get a tranny rebuilt for no where near that price, but have fun. Good luck!!

Where did you get a tranny for so little? Everywhere around here wants a minimum of $1500 and in most cases a lot more. I would love to know and find one like the one you described. Otherwise, I am afraid my car is history.

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
bling said:
new as in used ...right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
B14_Stealth said:
new as in used ...right?
yea its a used tranny. I got it from a parts store named chaz's auto parts. I got it for much less than what it is supposed to be because I work at a car dealership. The tranny cost 350 and i got a tech to put it in for 100. You probably won't find a deal like mine but when I was searching on my own, the cheapest I found a used tranny was for 500. Just look in the yellow pages for part stores and call every single one. Call some junkyards to, u may get lucky!! good luck!

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
ill ask the guy that dropped the new engine in my car, I could probobly get the tranny cheaper than 500, probobly either 350 or 400 and like 200 for install or something. Thats my estimate. Im going down there tomorrow so ill ask the guy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

It turns out that with the tranny, the welding on a drum broke, sending shards of metal flying, and damaging some other internal parts. It is in the process of being rebuilt right now. They ordered a new drum from Nissan on Friday, but were having problems locating some other parts (not sure which ones). They thought that they would eventually find them, though. They also said that IF all goes well, I may be up and running again yet this week sometime. My fingers are crossed that everything they need will arrive tomorrow or Tuesday (the sooner, the better, IMO) so they can get the problem fixed. The car has been out of service for nearly two weeks and I'm sick of having to ride the bus everywhere! More info. as I know more. By the way, has anybody else had the drum on their tranny break like mine did? I would be curious to hear about other similar experiences.

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
how much is the rebuild gonna cost you?

I just got back from the shop that did the tranny fluid & filter change.
The mechanic said that there was a lot of metal shavings in the bottom of the pan.
I guess ill have to rebuild my tranny too ofcourse it sucks cause i blew the engine about 3 weeks ago and they swapped another motor in..and now this :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rebuild is projected to cost somewhere between $1,500-$1,800. That said, I got a lucky break. A family friend owns the transmission shop here, which is supposed to be the best in town. I am getting the rebuild for $1,200, for which I am extremely grateful! If all goes well, I will have my car late tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise on Thursday. They have all the parts they need to complete the job except for a new torque converter. That part is supposed to arrive sometime today. My fingers are crossed. Also, I have to assume that no other issues will surface as they put everything back together again. I am holding out a great deal of hope that the best case scenario occurs. More updates will follow.

By the way, does anybody know if a rebuilt transmission has a break in period, like a new or rebuilt engine has? If so, what is recommended? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
don't rebuild it, waay too much, it shouldn't cost more than $500 if you play your cards right. Kinda pisses me off now b/c when I parted out my car, I decided to just trash my Auto tranny. I figured no one would want a 1.6L Auto transmission. Only 48k too.

SO anyway, check the junk yards, check ebay, check the classifieds, you're very likely to find someone parting out a working transmission for around $300. Then find a friend or small shop to so the installation for around $150.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yeah!! D'oh!

Oops! Actually, I'm a little late to abort now. The car is finished and ready to pick up. Believe it or not, I did try to find a used tranny here, but in this area (East Central Indiana), they are somewhat hard to come by. Sadly, most people here drive GM/Ford and there are fewer Nissans than in other places. There was one tranny available for $500, but it had well in excess of 100K miles on it, so that wasn't worth it (mine died at 105K with no abuse). The green light to rebuild was given late last week, so the tranny was taken apart and the necessary parts were ordered. They finished it this afternoon, took it on a test drive and said that all was well, so after my graduate assistant interview tomorrow morning, I'm going to pick my car up. Finally, after two weeks, my car is back from the dead! :cheers:

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
nbkoontz said:
The rebuild is projected to cost somewhere between $1,500-$1,800. That said, I got a lucky break. A family friend owns the transmission shop here, which is supposed to be the best in town. I am getting the rebuild for $1,200, for which I am extremely grateful! If all goes well, I will have my car late tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise on Thursday. They have all the parts they need to complete the job except for a new torque converter. That part is supposed to arrive sometime today. My fingers are crossed. Also, I have to assume that no other issues will surface as they put everything back together again. I am holding out a great deal of hope that the best case scenario occurs. More updates will follow.

By the way, does anybody know if a rebuilt transmission has a break in period, like a new or rebuilt engine has? If so, what is recommended? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
damn!!
thats shit load of money :(
i asked my mechanic he said to install a tranny..for me it would cost about $260 plus the cost of the tranny. I didn't ask him about rebuilding..but..damn...1,200 is way too much. I paid less for my engine and the install.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts