Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can my Hotshot CAI be causing me problems??? Before I installed the CAI, I was getting around 30-33 mpg, now i'm getting 26-28. I also feel like I had better power before, definentaly in the low end (I knew I would lose some power low end, but not this much). Also, there seem to be slight driveability issues; I have to rev the engine quite a bit and let the clutch out very slowly otherwise the car will sputter and try to die on me, and sometimes will from stand still. I do drive in the rain with my car alot too, so what would be the symptoms IF water was getting into the engine? I'm thinking the CAI is more of a hassle than anything else and thinking of putting back the OEM filter setup.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I wouldnt be so quick to blame the intake. Think of how many people use them without problems. Are you sure you tightened everything well? A leak will contribute to bad mileage, inacurate maf voltages, and stalling. Whens the last time you did a tuneup? Plugs, timing, fuel filter, wires, TPS, idle, cap, rotor, 02 sensor etc. Mods will only get you so far on an untuned engine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just installed mine last week, no problems here. My car ran like poo before, and it still runs like poo after ;)

As stated check all your connections with the hoses and such as well...

Did this "sputtering" happen immediately after install?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nizzan4u2nv, my car is a 2001, you can't adjust the timing (can you)? And there is no cap/rotor either....other than that, the car only has 45k miles, I thought that there shouldn't be a tune up required on the car until much later. Atleast the plugs don't need to be replaced until like 105K miles. How do I adjust TPS? BTW, that is the only mod I've done to the car, and don't plan on doin much more other than maybe a header and maybe tame exhaust.

The car did not start doin this right after the install....it started doin it after the car was partially flooded. By partially I mean that the water got up to the top of the wheels. It did not get into the car. Plus, it wasn't like that for to long, 8 hours at the most. I did not start the engine while it was flooded like this, however after the water receded, I did not clean or dry the air filter that was in the fenderwall (Hot shot CAI) when I started the car. I don't think much (if any water) got into the intake pipe, and up into the MAF/MAS area. If it did though, what would be the consequence?

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can adjust the timing, and there is a cap and rotor. Just because it isnt required later, whos to say that its not warn out unless you check for youself. If your maf hotwire got wet that may cause a problem, but I believe on b15s the sensor is enclosed. Id replace the plugs anyway and gap them accordingly, they are only 8 bucks a set for ngk coppers. For tuning instructions check www.se-r.net or www.sr20forum.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts