Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swap to the 3.5 V-6?

If the 2.5 4 cylinder can fit into the Spec V (same engine as the lower Altima trim). Does anyone know if the V6 can? Not that I have the money or knowledge... But if it is possible, I'd love to see that done :)

(240hp V6 untuned power in the Spec V=less weight and better tuned chassis then the Altima. Oh the potential!! Just imagine controlling this thing off the line!)

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Sure it can be done. Just bring money.

I'll wager you'll find the B15 engine bay too short front-to-back to easily squeeze in the V-6.

·
Registered
369 Posts
it would be a tight squeeze. I do not think the vq35de would fit, but the I have heard the vq30de would. There will be alot of custom fabrication involved. I personally would get some one to make me a rod and piston set and then would add a turbo to the qr25. although the qr25 can handle 260-280whp before it breaks and that would be more than enough for a street car. A rod and piston set would definatly increase the handling capabilty of the qr25.:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
250whp sounds good here :) It sounds like most of the tuning is to make sure that engine can stays intact. But can the chassis handle it? What other modifications do you see that will be needed if you lay down that much power with the Spec V?

As bad and clumsy as the tranny is stock (my own experience), I'm not sure how thats gonna hold with the turbo, as well as more torque steers to go along with it....

·
Friends of ours...
1,346 Posts
FarmboySE-R said:
If the 2.5 4 cylinder can fit into the Spec V (same engine as the lower Altima trim). Does anyone know if the V6 can? Not that I have the money or knowledge... But if it is possible, I'd love to see that done :)

(240hp V6 untuned power in the Spec V=less weight and better tuned chassis then the Altima. Oh the potential!! Just imagine controlling this thing off the line!)
I own a 2.5 and a 3.5 2002 Altima. I can take a few rough measurements if you'd like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats coo :)

What do you do for a living if u don't mind me asking...... wish I can afford just a Altima... V6 one that is

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
impressive.... I'd say u're being modest with ur money to say the least. I work at http://www.chca.com as Helpdesk Admin. If u're ever heading up here, I'd luv to c your 3.5 :) Sweet wheels BTW.

·
Registered
369 Posts
FarmboySE-R said:
250whp sounds good here :) It sounds like most of the tuning is to make sure that engine can stays intact. But can the chassis handle it? What other modifications do you see that will be needed if you lay down that much power with the Spec V?

As bad and clumsy as the tranny is stock (my own experience), I'm not sure how thats gonna hold with the turbo, as well as more torque steers to go along with it....
motor mounts will definatly be in order I think Place Racing is working on those right now. Also a new clutch and flywheel will help the tranny out. A nismo lsd might be a good idea as well. bigger brakes so you can stop that thing. I know of two spec v s with turbos already they run in the mid 13's. As for your tranny woes try switching to synthetic fluid(redline mt90) it helps. Also I have noticed that the clunky action is due to the shifting mech not the tranny itself, so lube the linkage arms on the tranny and you will shift smooth every time. Hell I can chirp the tires in 4th gear.;)

1,267 Posts
Wont Be Beat said:
I love magazine racers--a most valuable source of entertainment.
I don't see any mag racing going on here. At least for the QR25 into the B13, I don't see any reason couldn't work, the only complication I could see would be the tranny, or maybe accessories in slightly different places, but still how is anything in this thread mag racing?

·
Registered
369 Posts
turbo T3/04 with upgraded injectors. front mount intercooler and a gready e-manage. Forced Induction Racing has a unit being prototyped you can get information at b15senstra.net. search please

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
I'd bet that stroking the SR20 would be less expensive than shoe-horning the QR25 into a B13 or B14. Despite the 300cc deficit, I'm betting on the SR22 to out-power the QR25.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cortrim1 said:
motor mounts will definatly be in order I think Place Racing is working on those right now. Also a new clutch and flywheel will help the tranny out. A nismo lsd might be a good idea as well. bigger brakes so you can stop that thing. I know of two spec v s with turbos already they run in the mid 13's. As for your tranny woes try switching to synthetic fluid(redline mt90) it helps. Also I have noticed that the clunky action is due to the shifting mech not the tranny itself, so lube the linkage arms on the tranny and you will shift smooth every time. Hell I can chirp the tires in 4th gear.;)
Thats A LOT of useful info cortrim1, thanx! ;)

BTW, how do you lube the linkage arms on the tranny? I'm not a mechanic so pardon my stupidity :(

P.S. how many pounds of boost are those turbo Specs running? And what kind of mod have you done to your Spec V?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Adam said:
I don't see any mag racing going on here. At least for the QR25 into the B13, I don't see any reason couldn't work, the only complication I could see would be the tranny, or maybe accessories in slightly different places, but still how is anything in this thread mag racing?
Let me try to explain. I will be the first to say I dont know all that much about Nissan engines or engine bays. So when people ask whether so and so engine will fit into so and so car, unless it is a well proven and frequently done swap, I find it amusing. The reason for this is: most uniformed people tend to look at the displacment and number of cylinders an engine has as well as those attributes of the engine that was in the car that the old engine was in. They dont realize that things such as mounts, axles, transmission issues, and ecu compatabilities are actually the most import issues to consider. Not to mention the havoc that an engine of a different weight can reak on chasis dynamics.
When I read the post, I realized that the swap in question cannot possibly be as simple as say an H22 or H23 into an Accord. I dont know all the details, but I'm willing to bet this swap isnt very simple, and fitment, mounts and transmission issues will come into play. This is a presumption.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed. Just a food for thought. Altima engine in Sentra... BIG Altima engine in Sentra?

This thing will have to be fabraciated. No question about that. But if you can swap a H23 into a tiny CRX, I think it can be done.

1,267 Posts
Wont Be Beat said:
Let me try to explain. I will be the first to say I dont know all that much about Nissan engines or engine bays. So when people ask whether so and so engine will fit into so and so car, unless it is a well proven and frequently done swap, I find it amusing. The reason for this is: most uniformed people tend to look at the displacment and number of cylinders an engine has as well as those attributes of the engine that was in the car that the old engine was in. They dont realize that things such as mounts, axles, transmission issues, and ecu compatabilities are actually the most import issues to consider. Not to mention the havoc that an engine of a different weight can reak on chasis dynamics.
When I read the post, I realized that the swap in question cannot possibly be as simple as say an H22 or H23 into an Accord. I dont know all the details, but I'm willing to bet this swap isnt very simple, and fitment, mounts and transmission issues will come into play. This is a presumption.
Well I agree about this with the altima V6, but I was thinking about my post on the 2.5 in a 1.6, it's in the same chassis as a SR20, and I have the same chasis that fits and SR20, so it may be possible to swap into the 1.6. Obviously things like the tranny, ECU, and wiring harness would be needed, but I don't think there would really need to be any fabrication involved. Like I said before though, I'm never going to attempt it anyway, I was just thinking...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts