Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok well the last owner drove the car with a loose water pump and the car overheated and broke down. The tow truck driver bought it off the dude and has been sittin a couple months. He told me i need to fix the water pump BUT the head might have to be replaced. I paid him $400 dollers and pulled the car home. 1989 240sx with 129k on original engine. I fix the water pump the fill the radiator and it started right up no problems. There was some white smoke comeing out the back the first time i ran it but know it has no smoke at all comeing out the back. I started driveing it around(might i add drives like a bat out of hell haha)But I will drive it for like 5 to 10 minutes and it will get hott not all the way hott but past the first hot line. I will turn the car around and bring it home and it will cool to about 3/4 the way up while im driveing it still. Then when i park it, It will cool past 1/2 way down. Refill the fluids and it will do the same thing. I replaced the thermo thinkin it was just off. But the car had alot of steam when i blead the system.
And it is still just doing this heating up. Does anyone know if the cylinder head is crackd or if it is just a blown head gasket. The oil is not milkey like ive checkd that.
If this has happend to you befor what did it end up being.
Thanks for your help.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,227 Posts
- It's possible that the head gasket is blown or maybe the head is cracked. Do a compression check on all the cylinders.

- There may be air in the coolant system. Your best bet may be to drain down the coolant and start all over again with the filling of the coolant.
Here's how I do it:
1 - drain coolant
2 - open the bleeder screw
3 - optionally jacking up front of car helps to purge air pockets
4 - fill system until coolant starts coming out the bleeder hole
5 - close bleeder screw (not too tight; screw is easy to break off)
6 - continue filling until coolant is at the bottom of the filler neck
7 - do not put cap on the radiator
8 - start motor; as coolant starts to warm up, you may see a few air bubbles
9 - squeeze the hoses by hand to free up possible air pockets
10 - put cap on radiator

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well what do i need to do so i can Do a compression check on all the cylinders.
Do i have to take it in somewhere or can an average machanic do it?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,227 Posts
An average mechanic can do it.

If you're mechanically inclined, you can do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well they guy i live with has the tool to check the compression. What will be normal. How will i know what is bad. Ive never had to do a compression check so im kinda new to this one.
What should the normal reading be.
and would it be different if it was the gasket or if it was the head?
im very limeted on funds for this so if i dont have to spend extra money i dont want to have to.
thanks for the help im hopeing the compression check finds out whats going on. I want my car lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
rogo is right i had the same problem with my car i had a crack in the radiator though and it over heated which messed up my head gasket and i just got that fixed cause my spark plugs were smelling like pure gas and my mechanic said it wasnt supposed to do that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts