Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was playing some music(amp), switched off & couldn't start. battery was dead. a good samaritan took out his battery to give me a start but may have reversed polarity before correcting this mistake(did not see.. but suspect) the car started but cut off after a minute. Borrowed a battery and drove home(night time). by the time I was home the battery was dead but no batt/alternator light came on dash. What can be wrong?

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
could be a possibility that your systems is draining the battery and causing your alternator to have some problems.. replace the battery and go to autozone to get your alternator check out..

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
trying to charge a dead battery with a alternator will quickly cause failure to the alternator but do what PsuLemon said

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the battery's truly dead it makes sense you wouldn't see any lights on the dash about alternator/batt. My guess is your alternator is fried.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,272 Posts
MagicPie said:
trying to charge a dead battery with a alternator will quickly cause failure to the alternator ........
I do not believe this is true.
An Alternator self current limits, the controls are only on voltage. (hence voltage controler.)
The rebuilt for my daughters SER had a load vs rpm chart showing full load up to and at max rpm.
This is a major difference with the old generators that had both current and voltage controlers. If the controller went bad you lost the generator and/or battery.
So if an Alternator charges a flat battery, which it will every time one of us needs a jump start, the current will limit at the max design current. You cannot exceed the design current of the Alternator.
However I agree if your Alternator is old and has defective parts a full load may finish it off.
Good Luck......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts