Nissan Forum banner

Is a valve job worth it at 200,000 miles?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  B14SENTRA96 
#1 ·
1996 Nissan Sentra GA16DE Manual trans (base model). Two weeks ago my timing chain skipped a few teeth and since then I did a whole timing chain rebuild including new water pump, thermostat and new belts. At this point I got the car to run and know that the timing chain and it’s components work good. Today I learned that the #2 cylinder has valve problems or damage because there is 0 compression. Cylinders 1,3, and 4 are good at 120-130psi for compression. I’m weighing my options right now. I’m not sure if it’s worth repairing/replacing the valves myself as I have to borrow a garage space to work on it. Please leave your honest opinion about what I should do, I’m considering doing the valve work, getting a new engine or a new car altogether. Money is tight.

#2 ·
They do bend valves, usually the exhaust side, when they jump timing too far. If it's worth it or not, is something only you can answer. Consideration has to be placed on what the rest of the car is like, whether it otherwise meets your needs as transportation, the cost of the repair and, most important, your own financials. Repairing it would be less expensive that car payments, providing it won't be in need of constant repairs in the future.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Ended up taking everything apart today. Found out my #2 cylinder has bent valves and the rest of the cylinders have wear so at this point I’m looking to get another ga16de with lower mileage. Found one with 99K miles for $1000 so will most likely go that route

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.