Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all........ I want to get the whole exhaust system re-done and I was wondering if a high flow cat is a direct bolt on stock to let me have some fun :woowoo: until I get the headers/pipeing ready to go....... Thanks everyone :idhitit: :wtf:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
...it depends...... does what you are looking at say "direct bolt on for 1.6 sentra" or "universal" i think you can answer your own question :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.6pete said:
...it depends...... does what you are looking at say "direct bolt on for 1.6 sentra" or "universal" i think you can answer your own question :thumbup:

yea I get the picture that when I buy a cat that says "direct bolt on" thats cool and all but is the OEM pipes made like that or is it one continues piece?? It might be a direct bolt on for these greddy cat back exhaust packages that you see but that doesn't say much for the stock.... That's what I'm trying to find out. :fluffy:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
look on your stock exhoust manifold......thats your cat.
 

·
Wise Cracker
Joined
·
5,730 Posts
AnthMC said:
yea I get the picture that when I buy a cat that says "direct bolt on" thats cool and all but is the OEM pipes made like that or is it one continues piece?? It might be a direct bolt on for these greddy cat back exhaust packages that you see but that doesn't say much for the stock.... That's what I'm trying to find out. :fluffy:
The cars that had a cat under the car it was a bolt in piece like the random tech. If you are on a budget I would suggest trying to find a used OEM cat as they are very good.
 

·
TwiztidKidd
Joined
·
807 Posts
My catalytic converter was bolt-on and the two bolts on the inlet and outlet were melted... I drilled holes the cat over the old bolts and reinstalled it back in the exhaust system... that damn cat caused me nothing but trouble... that's the reason my header's finish was off in a month... The cat was running too hot... it looked all clear while looking thru it but it wasn't good. I'm running a straight bolt-on pipe till I find a new catalytic. I'm trying to get one fast... btw there's no gains running without the cat.
 

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
AnthMC said:
yea I get the picture that when I buy a cat that says "direct bolt on" thats cool and all but is the OEM pipes made like that or is it one continues piece?? It might be a direct bolt on for these greddy cat back exhaust packages that you see but that doesn't say much for the stock.... That's what I'm trying to find out. :fluffy:
It looks like you have a 99 CA model... the Random will be a direct fit... honestly though the stock cat is pretty good, so unless you need to replace it... it's not really going to do much for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
myoung said:
what country, what school run car, what the heck are you talking about?...lol
Sorry probably english sarcasm not coming accross....

I'll break it down reaaalllyyy easy for you....What country...The one your residing in right now...erm. The United States of america...you know there is a shoreline and there are other countries residing beyond that shoreline!

What school run car....not aimed directly at you...more of a generalisation that americans tend to enjoy the sweet sound of a Big Block chevy that probably does 4 miles to the gallon just to go get a pint of milk from the shop 20 seconds down the road...

your telling me that i'm going to throw my CEL which is pretty much an false statement as my last exhaust sensor is my lambda in the downpipe of my Header so why would taking a CAT off after that effect that and also bitching about the fact that i'm now going to punch a hole in the ozone layer, erm my choice, i get through my MOT and as far as the government is concerned i'm street legal.

Is the fact that my exhaust is slightly louder than stock going to annoy you because it has the chance it might wake a baby?? This is a performance forum...not a greenpeace one...i don't hug tree's i make my car go quicker and if it means replacing the cat then so be it!
 

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
Lurch said:
Sorry probably english sarcasm not coming accross....

I'll break it down reaaalllyyy easy for you....What country...The one your residing in right now...erm. The United States of america...you know there is a shoreline and there are other countries residing beyond that shoreline!

What school run car....not aimed directly at you...more of a generalisation that americans tend to enjoy the sweet sound of a Big Block chevy that probably does 4 miles to the gallon just to go get a pint of milk from the shop 20 seconds down the road...

your telling me that i'm going to throw my CEL which is pretty much an false statement as my last exhaust sensor is my lambda in the downpipe of my Header so why would taking a CAT off after that effect that and also bitching about the fact that i'm now going to punch a hole in the ozone layer, erm my choice, i get through my MOT and as far as the government is concerned i'm street legal.

Is the fact that my exhaust is slightly louder than stock going to annoy you because it has the chance it might wake a baby?? This is a performance forum...not a greenpeace one...i don't hug tree's i make my car go quicker and if it means replacing the cat then so be it!
I see the english sarcasm turned into Nationality bashing. nice..

make it easy on me?? all you did was make yourself look like a smartass..


1) Emissions standards in the US are as high or higher than most countries in the world...and California probably has the highest in the world...(clue: see the members location in first question to start thread)

2) You're on a Nissan related web site generated in the US... not many big block chevy drivers here...

3)
there are other countries residing beyond that shoreline
...your stereotype of the average american is insulting.

4) Since the original question was asked by a member in the US wouldn't the answer about throwing a CEL be relevant to his vehicle emissions as opposed to yours? We have things like emissions testing, if it's throwing a CEL he can't get it registered.... is that worth 1 hp?

5) Telling him he won't throw a CEL is what is false.. He has two 02 (lambda) sensors in his ehxuast system, not 1.. one on the exhaust manifold / closed coupled cat and one after the cat in the center of the exhaust system..

6) if 1 hp makes you feel faster than great. :rolleyes: and you imply americans are "Old School Chevy drivers with low gas milage" that's a bit contradictory seeing you're the one pulling your cat off when todays catalytic convertors are much more free flowing than "Old School" cats or other high performance options available like Random Tech cats,.. seems you're the one living in the past.


7) where did I say anything about noise?

why the chip on your shoulder?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
WOW. why does everything turn into a [email protected] fight? and in tech no less? mike is right.....hes always right....leave it alone!

i have a test pipe on my se-r that i am going to replace soon. it makes the exhaust to loud and i can stand looseing 1-2 HP :thumbup: hell i gained 30 by getting the sr. use the info mike has given you along with a crush bent 2 in pipe (you dont gain a massive amount with the mandrel and its really hard to find a shop that does mandrel bends) magnaflow makes a nice sounding exhaust so i have heard, but i have a greddy SP muffler with a RS*R tip on my car and im a big fan of it. even in high rev's it is not blatty at all, its LOUD (thats the small res and not cat) but below 3k rpm is nice and deep, GREAT bass tone to it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
myoung said:
haha no I'm not always right... just this time ;) j/k
honestly im not kissing ass......i have yet to see you be wrong. your never wrong (i am in no way saying you know everything so dont get an ego ;) ) but if mike isnt sure about something he wont post untill he has found the exact answer........so he is always right.

you da man mike. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
overreaction on my part...apologies!

But i'm not one to be mothered...and if telling me that i'm now going to be a Mass polluter isn't mothering then it is...your turbo GA no doubt puts out more emissions than mine decatted. And no ones right all the time...and if people are in that frame of mind that they will beleive anything mike, wes etc say as to be gospel and undisputable then whats the point in having this forum...might as well just have a phone line direct to you and be gone with all the other members...

i don't have a chip, but i do have a problem with ego's...i said it before in a previous post when someone wanted to make his exhaust louder (where that comment came from) and everyone just jumped him and called him an idiot because it won't gain him anything by doing it etc..i don't like that someone has a problem or a query and everyone should do there best to help there query whether it be deemed as pointless or not

again..sorry for my comments earlier...uncalled for! and sorry for going OT to the OP get this back on track and be done with...mike if you still want to chat about it then pm me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
Lurch said:
overreaction on my part...apologies!

But i'm not one to be mothered...and if telling me that i'm now going to be a Mass polluter isn't mothering then it is...your turbo GA no doubt puts out more emissions than mine decatted. And no ones right all the time...and if people are in that frame of mind that they will beleive anything mike, wes etc say as to be gospel and undisputable then whats the point in having this forum...might as well just have a phone line direct to you and be gone with all the other members...
.
how in the world does a turbo have anything to do with pollution? its about if the car is well maintained, and ill tell you his car could be cleaner than my 99 GXE which is STOCK.

again, im saying mike does not know everything (iv never met him....he could be a moron for all i know, you my boy mike lol) but he will not lead anyone astray, he searches for the answer until he is confident his info is correct (MUCH unlike many/all of us here :rolleyes: me included) but mikes info on this forum is always correct. along with WES, lshadolf, chimmike. thats their job, to be right. and they are doing their job with flying colours.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top