Nissan Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out if my fuel pump, fuel pump relay, or something elseis wrong on my 92 Sentra

Using a 12V test light checking at the plug that hooks to the pump, when you turn the key on it has strong power for about 5 seconds, then goes out. Is this Normal, is this what the relay is supposed to do? Then you turn the key off and bakc on, and there is no power. it will be dead for 3-4 times of doing this. Then it will have power agian for about 5 seconds. any help? [email protected]

· absolutely classic
651 Posts
natejones75 said:
I am trying to figure out if my fuel pump, fuel pump relay, or something elseis wrong on my 92 Sentra

Using a 12V test light checking at the plug that hooks to the pump, when you turn the key on it has strong power for about 5 seconds, then goes out. Is this Normal, is this what the relay is supposed to do? Then you turn the key off and bakc on, and there is no power. it will be dead for 3-4 times of doing this. Then it will have power agian for about 5 seconds. any help? [email protected]
I believe the pump is just pressurizing. Mine makes a whirring sound for about 4-5 seconds, then shuts off. It's normal. What's the problems you are having? If you describe the symptoms then maybe someone can help.

· Destroyer of worlds.
2,656 Posts
yeup, thats the 5 second prime. the engien wont start without fuel pressure, and the only way to get fuel pressure is to pump it there.

its not that there is no power going to the pump after the prim, its just that after it primes there is no reason to run the pump unless the vehicle is on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.