Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people! I have an 03 Xtrail 2.5ltr petrol.
Love it, but it has one annoying issue that I just think can’t be right. It is a model with the large sunroof. It has three interior lights, front middle and back. Middle and back work exactly as you would expect. However the front only comes on manually. So the front of the cabin is always in darkness when opening the doors in the dark. Is this correct for the Xtrail with sunroof ? Or should the front light come on automatically when you open the door? As I would expect it to?

·
Registered
262 Posts
The switch on the light should have 3 positions. On manually, on with the door opened and off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply X-hale, the thing is, that would be correct for the middle and back roof lights but the front only has a push button for on and off. And operation buttons for the sunroof. I think I may have to make an interior light that operates from the back ones. Thing is, normally when you turn your car off at night and pull the key the interior lights come on, and you can see what you are doing before you get out. Not with the Xtrail with sunroof, you are just left sitting in the shadow of the front seats, can’t see anything. Then you have to fumble about for the push button on the front interior light and inevitably completely forget to turn it off after and hey presto! Flat battery in the morning! Most irritating ?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
No you have a broken wire or a bad switch. The dome light comes on automatically when you remove the ignition key as well as when you open the door. What about the lights at the base of the front doors, do they turn on when you open the door?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Quadraria10
I don’t think it has lower door lights
It is a 03 model. All interior lights work as they should except the front one which can only be operated manually with a push button. It just does not come on automatically. So if you are in the back of the car it’s fine, it’s just the front that’s in darkness. I can’t understand why it’s doesn’t come on automatically with the other two interior lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Otomodo!
I think if it was a bad ground switch the other two interior lights wouldn’t work. But they work perfectly.
I am not near my Xtrail at the moment, it is actually my wife’s car, she is a twilight community nurse, thus the need for an interior light!. When I get a chance I will post a picture of the offending light so you can maybe see if it is similar to yours. I am beginning to think it’s just a design fault.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Otomodo. I think maybe that’s what it should look like, but it is actually just a push in switch, not a three way rocker switch like yours. Wife’s out at work in the Xtrail at the moment, but I will post a shot of it when she gets home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This is how the button and light look in my Xtrail, you can only push the button in!
But looking at it this closely maybe it has two bulbs (it doesn't say so in the manual)
I think I need to remove the cover and check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct. There is only one bulb. Also there are no other wires to the light except a red and black to the push switch. As far as I can see there really are no front interior lights linked to the door switches, not on the doors or the roof. It’s crazy! I am going to have to do a mod. And install an LED fed off the rear roof lights.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts