Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone recommend me a interior dome light for a 1998 sentra? my interior lights looks awefully dark and dull at night. i'm also looking for a brighter light for the speedmeter and the hvac switch. looking for brighter lights w/o blowing the fuse of the car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
dome light, take out your cluster there are four bulbs you dont need them all, then put it in your dome it looks really good i found this out when i put indiglos in and had no need for the bulbs so i put them in the dome trunk and liscence, they emit a crystal blue color, or you can just go buy some new bulbs

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
I rigged up the dome light to fit an M6 bulb. It's an 18-watt bulb that has the same wiring as a 194, but it's bigger. It just took a little wire and some patience - it's now very, very bright.

·
120 Posts
a 10 dollar hybrid b1 hyper white dome light makes the inside of my car light up like its daytime inside. my friends complain that its too bright and hurts their eyes hahaha suckers

·
Registered
249 Posts
samo said:
I rigged up the dome light to fit an M6 bulb. It's an 18-watt bulb that has the same wiring as a 194, but it's bigger. It just took a little wire and some patience - it's now very, very bright.
wait does it directly fit or what do u need to do??

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
It's not a direct fit at all, but it's easy to wire. I just cut some very short lenghts of wire and hooked the + and - of the bulb to the + and - wires inside the light, then wrapped the whole mess in electrical tape to make sure nothing shorted. I'm going to re-do it pretty soon with an acutal bulb harness and maybe do a step-by-step instruction thingie.

·
Registered
249 Posts
samo said:
It's not a direct fit at all, but it's easy to wire. I just cut some very short lenghts of wire and hooked the + and - of the bulb to the + and - wires inside the light, then wrapped the whole mess in electrical tape to make sure nothing shorted. I'm going to re-do it pretty soon with an acutal bulb harness and maybe do a step-by-step instruction thingie.
rawk on! i will wait for that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
azkicker0027 said:
has anyone tried to hook up a capacitor in series with the dome light, so it would slowly fade out than just cut out??? sounds like a good idea though, just checking if anyone had done it......
Funny....as I was reading this thread I was thinking about doing the same thing.:) I may try it and see what happens.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
dans200sx said:
a 10 dollar hybrid b1 hyper white dome light makes the inside of my car light up like its daytime inside. my friends complain that its too bright and hurts their eyes hahaha suckers
That is so true. Even I complain sometimes. A really good bulb. I recommend you get them.

·
Banned
809 Posts
hmmm... how would that work.. the capaciter get charged, then as power fades the light fades... i guses that could work, i'd just want one good enough to stay on like 6 seconds or so..
not too long of a fade.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any1 know the voltage of the dome light? If so I could figure out what size capacitor we need and how much of a delay would result.

·
Banned
809 Posts
I think that this could become a huge thing on E-Gay.. "dome light fade kit" make it where you just plug in the bulb socket an actual bulb, that has like a capacater blocking it or something.. i am sure we can figure somethign out.. heheh

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
i have the dome light in my car.

very sweet b1 hybrids. really bright and def worth ur money.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
this is a good result of brainstorming, heck, this fading light thing might be in each and every members' ride who saw this forum...and i am about to do it as soon as i get my guinea pig back, my baby i mean.......

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have an idea...can't talk now b/c I'm in class but I need the resistance of the dome light. That will help me figure out what size capacitor we need and how long it would last.

K

·
0 Posts
aww heck I smell a project coming on... time to pull out the electricians websites and find out how to calculate a capacitor size based on the volts.... hrmm... now this could be FUN >:). Btw, Jaggery.. since you're definately more apt to figure it out before me, let me know what you find (just post it on here please) :) and I'll try it on my car too, I'm all about trying different things! :) Time to hit the sites (and my wiring diagram... again... *sigh*) :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
Kenix said:
aww heck I smell a project coming on... time to pull out the electricians websites and find out how to calculate a capacitor size based on the volts.... hrmm... now this could be FUN >:). Btw, Jaggery.. since you're definately more apt to figure it out before me, let me know what you find (just post it on here please) :) and I'll try it on my car too, I'm all about trying different things! :) Time to hit the sites (and my wiring diagram... again... *sigh*) :p
Actually I asked my Electronics teacher and he said that we should put the capacitor in parallel with the light. As far as figuring out how long it takes to discharge, we use this equation:

t = RC

where t is the time constant "tau" (measured in milliseconds), R is the resistance of the light bulb, and C is the value of the capacitor. We would solve the equation for C, and substitute "1" (or maybe 1000 since it's measured in milli) for t....I'm not quite sure on why we would substitue 1 right there but that's what he said....I need to double check with him.

Anyway, that's my progress so far. I'll keep every1 posted.

Also, the cluster bulbs are the same as the dome light bulbs? If so I'll measure the resistance from a bulb I have sitting here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts