Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to paint the inside of my 97 200sx. i want to paint the dash blue to match my rims, but being that the dash is made of vinyl, does anyone know what type of paint i should use to do this. and has anyone already done this process. also i thought maybe to use the same material used for decals and just cut to fit. but i am not sure if it will stick. any ideas???

·
Registered
672 Posts
if you use the decal stuff and cut it out, i hiope u have a lot of patience. ive tried to carbon fibre the interior of my car with film when i was going through my newbie stage, and i messed it up twice. it peeled off in 2 days on top of that.:(

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
have fun with it, ive worked on my friends MR2 before and it was a pain in the ass. :D best bet is vinyl paint, but i really wouldnt recommend doing it cause it fades or cracks over time. be sure you clear coat it as well and the area is clean before you spray.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shit since we are on the topic does anyone know the best way of removing paint from the interior.. some dumb ass painted the interior before i purchased it.. looks like regular spray paint .. not to sure if i should use paint stripper...

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
You might have to repaint everything. I wouldnt recomend useing paint stripper, get some Lacquer Thinner and try a small out of the way spot so you can see if the piant will come off. I'm not sure that it will. Plus even if you do get it off the original paint or dye will probablly have a white hase on it, but then you might be able to use some leather conditioner to remove that haze.
It all depends on what type of paint the guy used before you.

What exactlly does it look like right now? What's wrong with it and also what color?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well you were asking what it looked like well this is what it looks like... ...but that is just a shot of the dash cluster.... you could just imagine the rest of the interior.. it is half done... so i have to ride in it for now like that... the paint looks clean no scratches in it or nothing.. i just dont dig it....

http://www.speedoptions.com/community_driverprofiles_view.asp?driverprofile_id=24563[/URL]

they were taken a month after i purchased the car .. i installed the EL gauges in it.. and the clear corners.. but the car was bone stock before that..

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know speedoptions doesnt let you link to it.. but try the link...

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Oh no, ok i see it now. The whole thing isnt apinted just some parts. Ya you will probally have to repaint that stuff. This is what you do, take some fine sandpaper like 320 wet/dry paper. Sand it down a lil bit, almost just to rough up the surface, or any flaws. Then take a vynil paint easier in a spray can, and paint them. You want to look for a satin black, i think that will match with the stock color.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i know how to paint it but i just wanted to take as much off as i can.. becuase it is actually pretty thick....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i like it

i kind of like the paint on the interior, but if you dont thats cool. but that is actually the look i am going for. but i would use a slightly deeper blue. just a shade or two. i am wondering what type of paint that is. if you have contact with the person who painted please ask them so i could paint mine. the only thing i didnt like was the white on white gauge cluster.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
damn the guy actually did it with 98 cent spray paint from walmart.. he said he primered it with the 98 cent primer sanded it and then shot 4 coats blue on it.. damn dat shit does look cool but the white has to go.. i have a wife dat drives this car daily .. and she keeps dat shit dirty ass fuck.. so the blue will prolly stay but white def.. has to go..

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Re: how does this look

selrider99 said:
That looks freaking awesome, I want to do that to my car. What paint did you use and what steps did you take to make the paint come out even? Did you use a base coat and a top coat?

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
yo this was easier than i thought...... I used 4.99 paint from autobarn.. . small cans it took about 6 of them....aztec red..
well it was a pin in the ass for me because i had to rip off the damn wood trim. then i used 600 wet dry sand paper and sanded each pc down a little so the paint would stick then i put about two to three coats on each pc... the only bitch is the plastic part that goes around the gagues and the pc on the door handles... becarful when taking the door handle pc off i cracked two of mine(thnk God for the 96 gxe in my yard)good parts car....
but it was really easy did every thing right in my own yard...

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
few more q's:
What brand spray paint does anyone recommend I use that I can find at my friendly neighborhood Home Depot?

Should I use a bottom coat?

Selrider99: what do you mean by bee careful when taking off the door handle piece? Do you mean the piece that has the window controls or the lever that unlatches the door? What should I do to avoid a problem?

What color do you guys recommend I use? I have a Teal car w/white wheels, Red doesn't match anything on my car, yellow would stand out too much. I have blue neons all around, but a blue color wouldn't look good. I'm thinking between white or silver. White to match my wheels or silver to match my Importintelligence gauge and HVAC faces. Any OTHER ideas?

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
1997 GA16DE said:
few more q's:
What brand spray paint does anyone recommend I use that I can find at my friendly neighborhood Home Depot?

Should I use a bottom coat?

Selrider99: what do you mean by bee careful when taking off the door handle piece? Do you mean the piece that has the window controls or the lever that unlatches the door? What should I do to avoid a problem?

What color do you guys recommend I use? I have a Teal car w/white wheels, Red doesn't match anything on my car, yellow would stand out too much. I have blue neons all around, but a blue color wouldn't look good. I'm thinking between white or silver. White to match my wheels or silver to match my Importintelligence gauge and HVAC faces. Any OTHER ideas?
yeah the part unlatches the door!!! what a pain in the but that was... i used a flat head and pop they came out...

go with silver i like that silver color!!!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOOKY HERE!

I primmerd and sanded the panels down about 4 times before I took them in to my paint guy and had them color matched, They are like a glassy finish.....

1 - 20 of 71 Posts