Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't even know OBX made an intake kit for our cars but here is one I found on Ebay: OBX SHORT RAM INTAKE 91-94 NISSAN SENTRA 1.6L NEW - (eBay.ca item 260117059431 end time 02-Oct-08 02:17:36 EDT)

It is incorrectly listed as a shortram but the picture shows a CAI. So I took a chance and ordered one and it really is a CAI. In fact it appears to be a copy of the HotShot one as it has the 2.5 inch to 3 inch stepped diameter too. Not really surprising considering it's OBX. I still have to install mine to check on fitment but it's a great deal if it fits well. Does anyone have any experience with this thing?

·
Registered
147 Posts
i just made my own out of 2.5'' turbo piping, guarentee it will work better than that one and it was free for me to make

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nice

I didn't even know OBX made an intake kit for our cars but here is one I found on Ebay: OBX SHORT RAM INTAKE 91-94 NISSAN SENTRA 1.6L NEW - (eBay.ca item 260117059431 end time 02-Oct-08 02:17:36 EDT)

It is incorrectly listed as a shortram but the picture shows a CAI. So I took a chance and ordered one and it really is a CAI. In fact it appears to be a copy of the HotShot one as it has the 2.5 inch to 3 inch stepped diameter too. Not really surprising considering it's OBX. I still have to install mine to check on fitment but it's a great deal if it fits well. Does anyone have any experience with this thing?
Shit man even if it doesnt fit great and needs some "adjusting":balls:
its still a great deal. If nothing else you have a part to look at and get a better visual idea of what you need to do. And hell 50 bones for the adapter full cold air piping along with,granted rather cheap, filter is not bad. And amazingly he is not a big shipping gouger. :idhitit:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shit man even if it doesnt fit great and needs some "adjusting":balls:
its still a great deal. If nothing else you have a part to look at and get a better visual idea of what you need to do. And hell 50 bones for the adapter full cold air piping along with,granted rather cheap, filter is not bad. And amazingly he is not a big shipping gouger. :idhitit:
It's listed as a "clearance" item so maybe they don't know what they have. We all know OBX's track record, it's gotta be a hotshot clone. I've not attempted an install yet(going to do I/H/E all at once) but the more I look at it and compare it with pics of Hotshot's CAI the more convinced I am that it's a Hotshot clone. Seriously, who else did the 2.5 to 3 inch design? I'd say just replace the filter with a K&N.

·
Registered
99 Posts
your right it dose look like a cold air intake hey will this work for a 96 it totaly look like it will fit in a sentra E im gonna order it 50 bucks that not much at all and if i need better filter well i still be saveing some money verse a 180 bucko for a short ram intake let me know if it will work some dude with silver paint jobs in the engine like mine looks like he have an CAI in it looks so pretty lol...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It is definitely a CAI. I don't know if the B13 CAIs are interchangable with the B14 but the listing is 91-94. I will post some install pics soon as I am very slow with getting stuff done. This was a bonus for me because I was planning to do a DYI CAI. $50 is pretty low risk. And if it fits I guarantee that a homebrew CAI cannot outperform it(unless it also copies the HotShot design).

·
Registered
99 Posts
hey it finaly came in today tryed to installed it but got confuse how it suppose to be installed the lil S shaped like pipe with two little tubes going out gose to the injector intake and then it mounts to the longer piping ...well i dont see how they hold on to each other causes when i stick the yellow things on one end is bigger then the other side the small end fit snugly on the intake but the other end to larged am i suppose to use the clamps to tighten it down ? when i get a day off again ill try to see how it suppose to be set up and take pics later i just pop off the old filter and put in the new one on the orgianl piping or rubber doo dad and i do feel a better response time and i hate to say i do love the new sound my car make but then it will reveal who i am -_- lol ol well it gives me performances...

Now i did some reasearch on the OBX CAI i only saw two pics on the website and it seems like the b13 abd b14 are the same causes price is the same and one number diffrent i assume the sensors are diffrent ? or that rubber connections are the diffrents... it the exact same price 85 bucks for either one...ok ill update on what i pulled off...

anyway gota question AND IN BEFOR THE STUPID READ THE MANUEL i hate it i cant find anything i go through hell looking for the RIGHT key words to find the parts im looking for like for an example how do i find the fireing order in the manuel and yes it the same one here on this site but i PAID 10 BUCKS FOR MINE!! didnt know there was a free one here -_- wasted money...i never found it....so anyway the MAF sensor is fine but there this TINY sensor in the air box i think it an oxygen sensor ? any idea on how to mount that on to the new CAI ? befor i break something trying to figgure out a way..lol...it runs great but i think i should have it in right ? ok be back later

·
Registered
734 Posts
tiny sensor in air box is a: intake air temp sensor. just drill you a hole and mount in new intake

oxygen sensor is on the exhaust manifold, or lower before the converter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ok thanks ill get to that soon is it crucial ? how long can or should i drive it without it pluged in ? yea the check engine light is on.. anyway i finaly asemble the piping togeather and i did my best without the MAS and the acutual car i just guese it and then ill try to see if my first guese will work when there day light tommrow once it in my car ill take some pics to show it off :p then doing some extra time study on how to make it an actual CAI causes the filter is to big and the battery is in the way thinking of just turning the batt around and if it fit that way w/ light mod in that area... then i be a happy camper well actualy driver :p lol....oh go look for me in the other subjects im gonna talk about what i dicover when trying to advance my timeing...

·
Registered
734 Posts
you took the MAF sensor off!!!??? the air temp sensor is unpluged!!?? dude i bet your getting like 5 miles per gallon and running like shit. please tell me i'm wrong.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What came in the box? What I got was the two pipes, MAF adapter, two hoses, clamps, and 3 silicone couplers: a 3 inch coupler, a 2.5 inch coupler, and a 3 to 2.5 inch reducer. Now that I look at it they may have included the wrong size reducer or should have included another 2.5 inch coupler. No big deal really, just get another coupler or a smaller reducer. I may get another set of couplers just because I think the yellow is ugly :p

Here is a HotShot CAI pic for reference. The two couplers on the small pipe are 2.5 inch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
you took the MAF sensor off!!!??? the air temp sensor is unpluged!!?? dude i bet your getting like 5 miles per gallon and running like shit. please tell me i'm wrong.
lol yea you are the MAF is plug in there was no way i was going to drive w/o the MAF it was the smaller sensor i had no idea what it was now i know what it is i can properly put it on after i drill a hole....

THANKS FOR THE PICTURE now i know how the filter supose to go lol but seeing where it gose i dont know how to remove that resorvor and stick a filter on the other side any place that have a guide or can some one give me one....

yea the yellow ones dose look ugly -_- dont even macth my engine at all... and i didnt get an 2.5 in coupler and im not gonna trip about it lol ill go buy a prettyer color... i have to wait on my day off befor i start drilling and tearing stuff out...now for the air temp i should drill a hole on the longer pipe since it the pipe after the MAF sensor causes it was after the MAF sensor on the OEM filter box want to make sure unless there a better spot for it...
PLus im useing the orginal MAF pipe it seems to work it wont make a diffrent if i use after market or OEM ? i dont think it whould lol it pretty straight forward...

·
Registered
99 Posts
odd i cant edit my last mess ? :S i did it befor anyway knock it off hudson where did you go to get the 2 1/2in coupler ? i went to kragen auto zone and this fancy part place and have no luck all they have was 3 1/2 to 2 1/2 and i kinda want to do this right i dont want 2-3 coupling to make a fit lol if i have to order it online i might as well get a set of my fav color so what website or place you went to get yours ? thank you

will this work ? ill worry about changing the others with a diffrent color unless you have a better deal and or suggestion

eBay Motors: 2.50" ID 4 Ply Silicone Thermal Flex Coupling BLACK NIB (item 8055136603 end time Oct-25-08 11:36:17 PDT)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
odd i cant edit my last mess ? :S i did it befor anyway knock it off hudson where did you go to get the 2 1/2in coupler ? i went to kragen auto zone and this fancy part place and have no luck all they have was 3 1/2 to 2 1/2 and i kinda want to do this right i dont want 2-3 coupling to make a fit lol if i have to order it online i might as well get a set of my fav color so what website or place you went to get yours ? thank you

will this work ? ill worry about changing the others with a diffrent color unless you have a better deal and or suggestion

eBay Motors: 2.50" ID 4 Ply Silicone Thermal Flex Coupling BLACK NIB (item 8055136603 end time Oct-25-08 11:36:17 PDT)
Yup, that will work. To be honest I'm not really that happy with the couplers provided with the kit. They are rubber I think, NOT silicone. I'm sure they will do the job and if you don't care about looks then you can just buy a coupler to replace the wrong size one. But couplers are relatively cheap so I don't know if maybe I'll splurge for three good ones when I only need to get one. Hmmmm. The hoses are ok though. Too bad they're yellow too :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
well there only one way to find out lol take a torch to it and wacth how it melt :p lol or burn...my dad said we can go to home depot and see if they got some tube high heat tollrance and im also going to pep boys to return some WRONG parts and while im there ill see what they got if not ill check out home depot and if that fail ill just get it off ebay just one for now...

th hoses should they be cut size or it donst really matter ? ill cut it to size but i may add slack not the exact size as the orginal ones.. im going to see if i can pull off drilling a hole for the heat sensor i plug it back in and stuck it in the hole of the filter to see if that will stop pissing off the computer but check engine light is still on so gotta hurry and finish installing the rest ill update later once the CAI is compleat :D cant wait

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well there only one way to find out lol take a torch to it and wacth how it melt :p lol or burn...my dad said we can go to home depot and see if they got some tube high heat tollrance and im also going to pep boys to return some WRONG parts and while im there ill see what they got if not ill check out home depot and if that fail ill just get it off ebay just one for now...

th hoses should they be cut size or it donst really matter ? ill cut it to size but i may add slack not the exact size as the orginal ones.. im going to see if i can pull off drilling a hole for the heat sensor i plug it back in and stuck it in the hole of the filter to see if that will stop pissing off the computer but check engine light is still on so gotta hurry and finish installing the rest ill update later once the CAI is compleat :D cant wait
You can just use a pair of aviation snips to cut a hole in the fenderwell, the metal there isn't very thick. Basically the only thing you need is the 2.5 inch coupler. As for the sensor I think most people do just place it somewhere near the filter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
dam so i have to extend my wires to reach into the fender...well im pretty dam good at it been doing electicals ALOT ... im sure there a way from cutting unless the manafacter put that box in there first then super glued the stuff around it then yea guese ill start cutting im so excited but man work have me at odd times i wake up to go to work come home sooo late -_- then i go to sleep no time at all -_- just driveing that why i want my car great :D lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
You should not have to move the sensor. Just put it in between the where the 2 pipes meet

·
Registered
99 Posts
i did some research they say to get it close to the filter so it can get the colder air temp since it a cold air intake to have better results what your opinions on that it makes sense with more research i dont think it will make much diffrent when iit anywhere on the secound pipe but im thinking of putting it as close to the filter as i can.

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
I'm not sure how much of a diff the temp sensor placement makes, I unhooked mine 8 months ago, but who knows?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts