Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what kind of intercoolers you guys chose to buy when swaping in the SR20. I'm looking for an IC now and was hoping to find a reliable one for a decent price. Any suggestions?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know they don't usually break but there are also a bunch of cheap ones that don't work nearly as well as greddy, blitz and so on. I was just wondering what other people used when putting in their sr20.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can get your hands on an R32, R33 or R34 front mount stock Nissan one, they work great. BUT, I know you are in the US and I'm in Japan. But if you are interested, what would be required is some cutting of the frame, relocating the battery and some custom piping (the HKS or Greddy pipe kits work great). What I am describing works for Japanese versions of 180SX and Silvia. I have no idea how your versions of the Nissan S13/S14 are set up.

As for my 180SX, I am going to use an aftermarket front mount medium-sized intercooler from a Z31 300ZX (couldn't beat the price, it was free!). It will require me to cut away some of the left side bumper mount, for I will use the existing piping access area under/behind the light bucket to route my piping. The routing of the piping will be the same as the stock. I am doing this upgrade because I acquired an S14 ball bearing turbine. The plan is to lift hp to 350. I don't want more than that because I'm into drift/gymkhana, not big power. There's a lot more that needs to be done in the meantime, such as get a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, a metal head gasket and an AVC-R for boost control (I'll be doing my own port/polish with porting only on intake and match port/polish on exhaust side)

Anyway, that's my input, for what it's worth. By the way, nice site! Just practicing my English.

Kenji

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 3 most common are:

Blitz LM
GReddy V-Spl
HKS Type S

The generally accepted differences are that the Blitz LM has the lowest pressure drop, the GReddy unit has a better cooling efficency, and the HKS, I don't know, it's HKS, probably the best, but make your own decision.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My opinion...

I would list them as follows:

1) GReddy V-Spl
2) HKS Type - S
3) Blitz LM

The reason GReddy is # 1 in my list is because it *like mentioned before* has the best cooling efficiency. It is also very reasonable in terms of $ for quality. (Best bang for your back, as they say).

The second is HKS because anything they make is excellent, however, at a higher price. So, if money is an issue... stick with the GReddy one!

Lastly, is Blitz! The reason is because Blitz parts are so overly-expensive and *to me* are more about the BLING BLING as they call it, rather then functionality. Yes, it does work - and mighty fine, but it is nicely polished... and looks all pretty... WELL, all I have to say is we are NISSAN DRIVERS/FANS not CIVICs! So, the ALL SHOW is not a major concern in most our minds! Plus, you'll be spending 1/4 -1/2 the price more then you would either a GReddy or HKS intercooler!

Take care,
KaOz.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: My opinion...

KaOz said:
Plus, you'll be spending 1/4 -1/2 the price more then you would either a GReddy or HKS intercooler!
WTF?!!? I don't know where you get your prices from.

The GReddy V-spl and Blitz LM units are almost the exact same price. There may be a 10 or 20 dollar difference, but that's it. I'm getting the Blitz unit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, this is from shop in Toronto that are telling me this. However, I do notice that they are similar in price *like you said* on net part sites.

Anyhow, take care!

Lata,
KaOz.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
u can save somemoney and get one froma turbo volvo or look for a turbo charged car and look at the intercooler

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd recommend a "Hybrid" intercooler. It's an indy company that sells on ebay and the cooling capacity is just as good (if not better) than any of the big 3 intercoolers. You might be leary to buy one b/c they don't have the reputation of some of the bigger names, but I put one of their kits on my s13 and it works great - nice looking unit too, and definitely cheaper than greddy, hks, or blitz. They claim to be good up to 600hp - some pretty impressive specs - check em out.

KaOz said:
I would list them as follows:

1) GReddy V-Spl
2) HKS Type - S
3) Blitz LM

The reason GReddy is # 1 in my list is because it *like mentioned before* has the best cooling efficiency. It is also very reasonable in terms of $ for quality. (Best bang for your back, as they say).

The second is HKS because anything they make is excellent, however, at a higher price. So, if money is an issue... stick with the GReddy one!

Lastly, is Blitz! The reason is because Blitz parts are so overly-expensive and *to me* are more about the BLING BLING as they call it, rather then functionality. Yes, it does work - and mighty fine, but it is nicely polished... and looks all pretty... WELL, all I have to say is we are NISSAN DRIVERS/FANS not CIVICs! So, the ALL SHOW is not a major concern in most our minds! Plus, you'll be spending 1/4 -1/2 the price more then you would either a GReddy or HKS intercooler!

Take care,
KaOz.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, for sure. They've jacked the price up a few bucks since I bought one from them, but for a complete kit, you definitely won't do better than that. All you need is the cold pipe (any good muffler place can make you a stainless steel one for $20. I bought one of these myself and its a really nice unit - I'd recommend it. I think the performance of these is as good as any. But to each his own.

OldBrit said:

·
Pivot 180
2,258 Posts
winter_sean said:
I'd recommend a "Hybrid" intercooler. It's an indy company that sells on ebay and the cooling capacity is just as good (if not better) than any of the big 3 intercoolers. You might be leary to buy one b/c they don't have the reputation of some of the bigger names, but I put one of their kits on my s13 and it works great - nice looking unit too, and definitely cheaper than greddy, hks, or blitz. They claim to be good up to 600hp - some pretty impressive specs - check em out.
Hybrid are an Australian company. They make excellent quality intercoolers that match the performance of much higher priced HKS and Greddy etc. I highly recommend these.

Personally I have a big ugly core from a mack truck (the actual core made 3 intercoolers of 680x300x75!!) Its big, its ugly, its laggy but it works and it cost me a carton of beer! I have 200rwhp with stock turbo and cat back exhaust @ 13psi.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
You're telling me this.... I got the email forwarded to me notifying me of this thread... and I am like WTF? - I haven't been on these boards in ages.

Cheers,
KaOz.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
LOL that used to happen to me until i blocked nissanforums.com from my email :p they kept sending me notcies of updadates..i had like a million of them..

·
Registered
74 Posts
What kind of tuning do you do at sequence? I'm about an hour and a half south of Toronto (Simcoe), and wanting to do some work on my s13 240 - I did an sr20 swap this past summer. I was wondering if you could give me a quote on a cam and turbo upgrade. Do you do ecu tuning too? btw - not sure why I was forwarded this thread
KaOz said:
You're telling me this.... I got the email forwarded to me notifying me of this thread... and I am like WTF? - I haven't been on these boards in ages.

Cheers,
KaOz.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome... I would be happy to give you quotes on parts for your vehicle. Also, all our prices are in CAD $... not in US... like most shops and online stores. =)

Welcome to the SR club my friend!!! =) Now, doesn't the KA suck? hah.

Email me and I will give you a quote on cams and turbo upgrades. Also, we carry many JDM's so it all depends on which company you prefer and your budget.

We have yet to focus on ECU Tuning, but we would be happy to make things happen for you and make it part of the SG (SEQUENCE Garage) killer stable.

[email protected]

Cheers,
KaOz/GC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts