Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who all has short ram or cold air intakes on a 200sx se? i just wanted to know if you could notice the hp gain or not.. im planning on getting one and would like to know if you could notice a gain.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
probably 1-3whp maybe more with other mods

·
Registered
86 Posts
well i have one on my 97 i got from ebay its a generic bomz racing one and it added a little more than 1-3 more like 5-7 and i noticed it in the sound and more of the top end as well and that was my only mod for a while but now i have the turbo so i dont need it any more but i dont need the turbo anymore cuz the cars totalled.....its a vicious cycle

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
well i have one on my 97 i got from ebay its a generic bomz racing one and it added a little more than 1-3 more like 5-7 and i noticed it in the sound and more of the top end as well and that was my only mod for a while but now i have the turbo so i dont need it any more but i dont need the turbo anymore cuz the cars totalled.....its a vicious cycle
are you sure of the results from a short ram? have you dyno data sheet for the results ? for that seems too high hp gain from a short ram for a CAI cant get that high.

from a CAI such has injen or hot shot you look to get 2-3 hp gain but more enjoyable sound and drive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got a eBay basic short ram kit for my 95 GXE, I wont the sound and the throttle response, but top and mid range power is welcome, i hate having to gun it up the hils on I-5 going north into Salem, OR. Has any one used this kit?
XYZ Racing Performance Parts

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
I just got a eBay basic short ram kit for my 95 GXE, I wont the sound and the throttle response, but top and mid range power is welcome, i hate having to gun it up the hils on I-5 going north into Salem, OR. Has any one used this kit?
XYZ Racing Performance Parts

those are universal junk. dont waste your money on that it will cause more issues than good.

get something that known for more power such as injen or pace setter or hs etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
I had one on my old b13 -

Its not a bad setup for 40 bucks.

those are universal junk. dont waste your money on that it will cause more issues than good.

get something that known for more power such as injen or pace setter or hs etc etc.
Pacesetter is trash, HS is out of business, and injen is over priced. I bought a injen for my se-r when i was n/a it was very nice but it was also $265

Back then i wish i bought a Place racing or a aem intake off ebay for $105shipped.

How is it trash? The piping is aluminum and its 3 inch. Piping is piping.

The filter isnt the best you could swap it out with a aem dry flow or something better. The filter is maybe the only think i could see that might not be the best. I use a cheapo when im cleaning my injen filter. Ive never had any issues with ebay filters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i got my intake a while ago and put it in my car it works fine but i messed my clutch up and now i have to get it fixed.. but yah i like it.. got it off ebay too..
here it is..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good to here that the XYZ kit works out. My budy has a year used nice condition JWT Pop Charger he will sell my if it fits, other wise I am going for the K&N. I Use a K&N Drop in now so that's going in my fathers '05.
PS
What kind of gains did the XYZ short ram give?
Was it all top end?

·
Registered
38 Posts
im rocking a 200sx SE and i too am wonders about this air intakes, theyre cheap and they sound niceeee but idk if they would sound nice on my 200sx and if they would be worth buying because i hear they cna damage the engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If installed correctly a Short Ram like the XYZ or Injen will give you better air flow, as the Aluminum tube allows better flow then the plastic flex pipe air tube, and the cone filter offer more surface area to allow air flow wall providing equal or better filtering. The only thing that a short ram can cause problems with is a hot engine compartment. A Short Ram just pulls the air from were the stock air box was, so run a bit thinner/warmer air is inevitable but the larger volume of air given by the cone usually mitigates and more then covers that. The hot air problem is the only drawback I have ever found with a Short Ram. And given my lactation in the Pacific North West I would never go with a Full cold air intake as it's fart to whet for a in fender cone.

PS
A nearly free alternative is actually to remove only the lower part of the air box, and do a ghetto-mod taping or zip tying a K&N to the top of the box, Test have shown increased power and better sound, and it cost nothing but some time and your chosen method of clamping the filter in place.

·
Registered
38 Posts
so a short ram intake wont have any bad affects if installed correctly?
and as for the cheap job would i like remove the whole lower box and somehow keep the filter connected to the top via tap? lol thats hardcore imo. maybe ill try it lol... wish me luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
just search ghetto air box mod in the forums I know there a a few post, you can supposedly take the off flip it over and re attach it to the hose, then use the clamps form the bottom to hold the top and filter in now phasing the hood, but hey its the ghetto option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
nice ill look it up, i want my car to have a better sound to it without costing me money lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
well isnt it quite possible to make my own cai outta piping form a hardware store?

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
well isnt it quite possible to make my own cai outta piping form a hardware store?
Unless you want to make it out of PVC piping... which is terrible.

You can buy exhaust piping, i suggest mendral(sp) bent. You would need a 45* and a 90* and some way to put fittings on it for your air intake control valve and other things

nice ill look it up, i want my car to have a better sound to it without costing me money lol.
Seriously? :lame:

If installed correctly a Short Ram like the XYZ or Injen will give you better air flowThe only thing that a short ram can cause problems with is a hot engine compartment. A Short Ram just pulls the air from were the stock air box was.
Injen and ebay stuff is completely different as far as quality. How is it going to create problems by taking in warm air and how is it going to pull air from the stock airbox when its not connected to the stock airbox?

A nearly free alternative is actually to remove only the lower part of the air box, and do a ghetto-mod taping or zip tying a K&N to the top of the box, Test have shown increased power and better sound, and it cost nothing but some time and your chosen method of clamping the filter in place.
It gained like 1whp

im rocking a 200sx SE and i too am wonders about this air intakes, theyre cheap and they sound niceeee but idk if they would sound nice on my 200sx and if they would be worth buying because i hear they cna damage the engine.
It can, but unless some how you are seriously retarded and find a way to damage your motor by putting a wai on then i wouldnt worry about it :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Injen and ebay stuff is completely different as far as quality. How is it going to create problems by taking in warm air and how is it going to pull air from the stock airbox when its not connected to the stock airbox?
:)

Yes Injen sells you one peas of tube and a better filter for atleaset $100 more then the eBay kit that uses a welded 2 peace tube and a cheaper filter. Price and quality are not nearly in a 1:1 ratio in this case; I would rather go with eBay.

If you had read my post, "A Short Ram just pulls the air from were the stock air box was."

An engine breathing thinner Air will use more gas, hotter air is thinner and thus will make you burn more gas. The air in the engine bay is warmer and will be sucked in by a SRI or a Ghetto-AB mod more so then with the stock air box(Not always as some air box's have poorly routed intake placement) so unless the better volume of air can compensate for the warmth of the air it will lose power, millage, and in the worst of cases the heat re-circulation of the engine into the air it breaths can over time cause damage(This is easy to compensator for just make sure that your oil is good and your radiator fluid is still chemically viable).

Sadly heating the air is not like preheating the fuel. The SR-37 Black Bird spy plane used its fuel to cool itself from the melting hot temperatures created by Mach 3 friction with the air... Taking the fuel to a hotter temperature before it is injected increases its static energy and will increase performance, but one's fuel would need to have a very high AKI(Anti Knock Index or Octane Rating) to prevent detonation and knocking making this techs use in cars very hard to safely implement, at least in gas engines.

If you think this is wrong then go back to school and take freshmen science.:loser:

Also the Ghetto-AB mod works and can give 2-4 hp in the top end and 1-2 mid/low end HP gains, this has been tested along side Short ram intake systems and other mods for the GA16DE, but a cone MAF adapter and cone dose better then the Ghetto-AB mod.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
Yes Injen sells you one peas of tube and a better filter for atleaset $100 more then the eBay kit that uses a welded 2 peace tube and a cheaper filter. Price and quality are not nearly in a 1:1 ratio in this case; I would rather go with eBay.

If you had read my post, "A Short Ram just pulls the air from were the stock air box was."

An engine breathing thinner Air will use more gas, hotter air is thinner and thus will make you burn more gas. The air in the engine bay is warmer and will be sucked in by a SRI or a Ghetto-AB mod more so then with the stock air box(Not always as some air box's have poorly routed intake placement) so unless the better volume of air can compensate for the warmth of the air it will lose power, millage, and in the worst of cases the heat re-circulation of the engine into the air it breaths can over time cause damage(This is easy to compensator for just make sure that your oil is good and your radiator fluid is still chemically viable).

Sadly heating the air is not like preheating the fuel. The SR-37 Black Bird spy plane used its fuel to cool itself from the melting hot temperatures created by Mach 3 friction with the air... Taking the fuel to a hotter temperature before it is injected increases its static energy and will increase performance, but one's fuel would need to have a very high AKI(Anti Knock Index or Octane Rating) to prevent detonation and knocking making this techs use in cars very hard to safely implement, at least in gas engines.

If you think this is wrong then go back to school and take freshmen science.:loser:

Also the Ghetto-AB mod works and can give 2-4 hp in the top end and 1-2 mid/low end HP gains, this has been tested along side Short ram intake systems and other mods for the GA16DE, but a cone MAF adapter and cone dose better then the Ghetto-AB mod.
People have been running warm air intakes on there cars for years with no problems.

If you want to talk about forcing hot compressed air into your engine thats a whole different story. THAT is how you get detonation. Youre not going to get detonation from short ram intake, forcing hot compressed air into your motor will give you detonation. You didnt have to go all elementary school science teacher on me either, im glad to see you know how to use google.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok well putting that all aside, i learned how the cold ari intake works, cant i jsut buy a cheap intake on ebay then hook up a better quality filter to the end of it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes voulo5, you can just get the cheap one off eBay as it is just what you need. The XYZ kit is $45 shipped and has a basic filter and all the attachments, add a K&N cone and that's about $90-$100 and you will see good improvement across the board, but look at getting a heat shield, it attaches with the filter and helps deflect radiant heat from the engine, its not a big gain but it can help.

The fact 2dr_sentra, is what you say as hot air intakes being fine to run is for the most part true, but running colder air is better, and running hotter air will cose some advers afect on performance and can increase the the rate at witch your Oil degrades among others possible problems. A good engine with regular upkeep will be fine in every thing but a race or a dessert.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts