Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody after putting it off for a while im finally going to get an intake in my 300zx turbo. i want a premade one. i dont trust my self enough to make one lol. any brands that make one for the 300zx. and how do you install it. oh ya and would it make a huge diference if i didnt get the intake and just switched to a k&n filter ? sorry for all the questions at once but i want to get this thing done soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
hondakillerZX said:
hi everybody after putting it off for a while im finally going to get an intake in my 300zx turbo. i want a premade one. i dont trust my self enough to make one lol. any brands that make one for the 300zx. and how do you install it. oh ya and would it make a huge diference if i didnt get the intake and just switched to a k&n filter ? sorry for all the questions at once but i want to get this thing done soon.
When you're talking about intake....what exactly do you mean. What people ususally do is remove the stock airbox and replace it with a K&N or team green cone filter. If you want super easy and expensive, look for the K&N FIPK (fuel injected performance kit?) it comes with all the piping and bolts and straps you need....just costs about $75 more than doing it yourself. Also if you're going to get a cone filter, you can either keep the resonator, ditch the resonator and get a piece of 3" pipe, or clamp it too the end of AFM. Are you turbo or non? either way...you'll get no more than 5hp out of it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
what's to make? you need a cone filter and a piece of straight pipe. Possibly a big hose clamp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I remover the stock air filter element and bracket, I then also removed the air silencer. I then cut the round plastic tube out of the silencer and ues it to piece together the rubber elbow and my K&N filter. I supported the end of the filter with a metal mounting bracket found in car stereos. A 8mm nut and a self tapping screw and I was in buisness!

·
Registered
123 Posts
you can also just affix the K&N to the silencer dealie. But then you don't get the cool sounds :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's the only one that fit, and it has been modified (AKA ghettofied)
The car pulls like a sonofabitch anyway, so I really can't complain.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i think ill just get some pipe and a k&n filter. it sounds easier than i thought, but dont some tubes attach on to the stock air intake, what do i do with those? and is it street legal to make my own intake (I live in cali were nothing is legal lol)

·
Registered
274 Posts
just hook the MAF to the stock intake elbow that feeds the turbo, and put a filter on that. That's what I did to mine when it was "stock"

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i still have my air conditioner in so I don't really have good access to my turbo. if i could reach, could i just hook it to the maf and run it up to were the regular intake was with more piping ? I heard the longer the pipe the more power you get, is this true.oh ya and is there a way to get to the turbo from under the car?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
hondakillerZX said:
i still have my air conditioner in so I don't really have good access to my turbo. if i could reach, could i just add more pipe could i hook it to the maf and run it up to were the regular intake was? I heard the longer the pipe the more power you get, is this true.

lol the longer the pipe is the more air restriction you have. a 90 degree elbow is the restriction of a 3 ft. long piece of pipe. Shorter better

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks alot man, can i get to the turbo from the botom of the car though?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Not easily. Get rid of that heavy AC and get some access.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i need my ac this car burns up in the summer time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i finally went out and got the stuff and made my intake, but I got a question on which filter. I was either going to get a traditional style cone filter or this round column looking air filter that is bigger. I've seen the column style on a Z before so which should i go with. and once i get it on and i run it will the car adjust to the bigger airflow or do i have to do something?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
The car should adjust over time but I would reset my ECU. And it really doesn't matter what filter you put on it. The bigger the better;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
SKD_Tech said:
The car should adjust over time but I would reset my ECU. And it really doesn't matter what filter you put on it. The bigger the better;)
You don't need to reset anything...the Hp increase comes from a less restrictive filter.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Yes but from the increased airflow it would be better for the ECU to instantly change to the new specs instead of working off old ones.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
about how long does it take to adjust? and how do i reset the ecu, where is it? sorry guys this is basically the first time ive ever done anything to my engine myself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts