Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday me and Teknokid was thinkin about doing the adapter and a K&N Filter as my temporary intake before i get my CAI ( which wont be a while). I was wondering will this help increase my low end power a bit and will it affect n-e-thing to my engine? i have the 2.25 Pipe and i lost some lo end power so i was wondering if doing this would help it a lil bit

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
You should hear a growl from the POP, and feel a lil SOTP difference in performance. It won't be until you get the CAI that you will really feel and hear the intake.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should hear a growl from the POP, and feel a lil SOTP difference in performance. It won't be until you get the CAI that you will really feel and hear the intake.
POP , SOTP ... huh?!!

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
HAHA...

POP = pop charger --- as in JWT pop, K&N pop... I refer to any cone filter as a "POP"

SOTP = seat of the pants --- aka the butt dyno ;)

:D

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh ok... so it will affect my low end a lil bit right and not a whole bunch like the CAI

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I had a POP on before I put in my homemade CAI and the POP was louder, and I didn't feel a SOTP difference between the two.
So don't expect a big difference. Advancing the timing did more for my car than the CAI did. Hence why I'm glad I didn't drop $200+ for one. I would have been pissed.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
LIUSPEED said:
oh ok... so it will affect my low end a lil bit right and not a whole bunch like the CAI

It's safe to say you will feel *some* increased throttle response, but not a ton. More oxygen = more combustion w/ fuel and spark. Do increase your timing if you haven't already... that is a real SOTP mod. I believe every system is different, but for me, I felt a significant difference in mid-range and top-end power going from a ghetto POP charger to the full PR CAI.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much advancing of the timing can i do. cuz im due for a smog check in aug so n-e-one know where i can get it written off

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
13 to 15 degrees and buy higher octane gas as you're not as likely to have detonation. Why not just adjust it back down for smog and then put it back when you're done?

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but isnt changing the timing hard to do? and plus gas cost a grip here . esp for higher octane

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
LIUSPEED said:
but isnt changing the timing hard to do? and plus gas cost a grip here . esp for higher octane

Paying the extra .20cents for 91 octane (the best we can do here in AZ... same as Cali) is worth it. And I'm still running at 12 degrees of advancement! "Bumping" your timing is easy, just get a timing gun to acurately view the position of the needle on the pulley. There should be a good right-up about it on the Sentra.net page --- or search the archives on this BB. I know it's been talked about a few time...

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think that a jwt pop charger will perform better than just an adapter/filter set-up. The pop charger has a huge velocity stack which is also the maf adapter, and has a 6in. outlet cone filter compared to a 3in. outlet you get from an adapter/filter set-up, this helps smooth out and increase the air flow into the maf sensor. Just look inside your stock air box and you'll see a small velocity stack built-in nissan engines benefit from this. The jwt pop charger just takes the stock set-up a step further... :)

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how much does it cost ? and any pix? i saw how TeknoKid did his and it was nice. (besides the hissin noise when he turned up his idle)

·
Registered
638 Posts
The jwt pop charger runs about $120. Go to ser.net and read Mike K's 200sx se-r project car, the july 97 article tells you all about the pop...

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Yes the hissin was really annoying. I lowered my idle a little bit to lower the hissing completely but fortunately i still get the suction noise and the growl when i punch it. I want to add a homemade CAI extension. Anyone know how I can go about doing this??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts